SUV/Crossover Suggestions

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: SUV/Crossover Suggestions

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am

Henryj wrote:I’ve owned a bunch of Kias over the years, never even had anything small or cheap fail.
I may need to go to a dealer and check them out. Haven’t been in one in 20 years and heard they’ve come a long way.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 am
dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am
Honda enjoys an undeserved reputation for reliability:
http://www.hondaproblems.com/transmission-failure/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/
Many of Honda's earlier transmission issues were overblown, but generally they earned their reliability reputation in the 80's and 90's when they were blowing away the domestics in reliability. Not so much anymore, but as GM and VW well know, it takes decades to change reputations.

As far as an SUV, I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but acknowledge their appeal and practicality for most people. If you aren't doing heavy off roading and don't want a Subaru, Toyota is always a safe bet. For commuting/mileage you are probably avoiding body on frame models like the 4-runner. Rav 4 is a good, comfortable vehicle that will hold it's value. If you enjoy driving and want some driving dynamics, consider a Mazda CX-3 or CX-5.

If you don't need a lot of ground clearance and want something more fun, consider a VW Alltrack. $30k gets you a well equipped SE model. 30 mpg highway and has 72 month warranty. Checks all of your boxes (car play, heated seats, etc....). Very good interior space for dogs. VW's are pretty reliable these days. Can even get one with a manual.
I may need to rethink the Subaru thing too. The Outback does look like it checks all the boxes.
We almost didn't shop an Outback since everyone in upstate NY has one. Then I drove it and realized why they're popular. You would be crazy not to check them out.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:43 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am
dnslater wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am
Honda enjoys an undeserved reputation for reliability:
http://www.hondaproblems.com/transmission-failure/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/
Many of Honda's earlier transmission issues were overblown, but generally they earned their reliability reputation in the 80's and 90's when they were blowing away the domestics in reliability. Not so much anymore, but as GM and VW well know, it takes decades to change reputations.
My transmission is starting to feel off, despite having only 50,000 miles on the car and having dealer performed maintenance completely on schedule. The transmission issue is real, as is the CRV turbo engine problem.
I was thinking more the transmission issues that everyone was talking about with Odyssey's/Pilots 10 years ago. I know nothing about current Honda's. Not surprised on the Turbo issues, as I think Honda is fairly new to turbo engines..... I liked the Honda of old, with clean, simple designs and high reving NA engines. Modern Honda looks very different than they used to.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 am

If you aren’t averse to American cars, have a look at the Buick TourX. I’d rather drive that than just about any small SUV.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm

We are looking now and doing research for when our lease is up early next year.

I would look at The CRV as it has 37 cubic feet in the back, possibly the VW Tiguan though I’m not sure what year it got upsized as it currently is for the 2019 model as it used to be smaller. Another option is the Ford Edge. They put Apple car play in it in 2017. It also has 39 cubic feet cargo space.

The one issue is if you’re wanting a model with Apple car play/Android Auto and going with something 2-3 years old, not every company had it at that time. I would suggest a Nissan Rogue as it has 39 cubic feet of cargo room but the ‘17 didn’t have Apple far play. They put that in 2018 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm

I would look at The CRV as it has 37 cubic feet in the back...
Besides the questionable turbo motor, the CRV has one of the most cave like back seat areas I've ever seen. From the outside the back window looks normal sized but it's actually incredibly tiny. I sat in one for 10 seconds and realized that I'd never buy one.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I rented a Kia Sorento when I flew down to Georgia to help my son move, nice ride.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm

I would look at The CRV as it has 37 cubic feet in the back, possibly the VW Tiguan though I’m not sure what year it got upsized as it currently is for the 2019 model as it used to be smaller. Another option is the Ford Edge. They put Apple car play in it in 2017. It also has 39 cubic feet cargo space.

The one issue is if you’re wanting a model with Apple car play/Android Auto and going with something 2-3 years old, not every company had it at that time. I would suggest a Nissan Rogue as it has 39 cubic feet of cargo room but the ‘17 didn’t have Apple far play. They put that in 2018 I believe.

Good details! I just looked at the RAV4 and the 2019 fits the bill but is about $35k. We have a 2013 and love it, so that might be in the mix if I can fine an early lease return through a car broker.

Last time I was in a CRV when was 2013 when we bought the RAV4 and it felt like a mini-van on the inside. I'll definitely look at it again through.

The wife rented a Rogue in PA last fall and said she loved it. I have a rental coming up this week for a business trip and I know they have some Rogues, so maybe I can grab one and take an extended test drive.
www.simplynoble.net

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 pm

For reference we have a 2017 Rogue and I am just doing early research for our next vehicle and I’ve been looking at in the 33,000 area. My top picks are an upgraded Rogue, a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Tiguan with the Tiguan in the lead for what we want inside and the look of the vehicle as well, as I love the design. It seems a little more refined than the others.

That said, the Rogue owes us nothing and has been very good for us.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:48 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 am
If you aren’t averse to American cars, have a look at the Buick TourX. I’d rather drive that than just about any small SUV.
Agreed. Those are nice. GM interiors aren’t as nice as VW but the car looks great. Being a Buick you can probably get one with a nice discount. Good Outback alternative. Huge cargo space.

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:00 pm

tattoo chef wrote:For reference we have a 2017 Rogue and I am just doing early research for our next vehicle and I’ve been looking at in the 33,000 area. My top picks are an upgraded Rogue, a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Tiguan with the Tiguan in the lead for what we want inside and the look of the vehicle as well, as I love the design. It seems a little more refined than the others.

That said, the Rogue owes us nothing and has been very good for us.

Got a Rogue Sport for a rental car for the next week. Already noticed the road noise but like the size.
www.simplynoble.net