Engine Tuners

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
mainman
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 am
Name: leon

Engine Tuners

Post by mainman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Do engine tuners like Superchips really improve a vehicle's acceleration and fuel efficiency?

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 31641
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 pm

My only experience is with VW/Audi tuning. Reprogramming the ECU does wonders for those cars.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15901
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:49 pm

A custom tune does a lot more than those off the shelf chips.

User avatar
stonehead887
Posts: 1139
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am
Name: Jeremy
Location: Northamptonshire, England
Contact:

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by stonehead887 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:55 pm

CGSshorty wrote:My only experience is with VW/Audi tuning. Reprogramming the ECU does wonders for those cars.
Least of all more accurate emissions ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk


User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5679
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by dnslater » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:38 pm

The biggest gains are with turbo charged cars as ECU adjustments can modify engine timing and boost pressure at a given rpm to improve power. I also have some experience with VW/Audi. Reputable shops like APR really understand the platform and engine. A $600 stage 1 tune can add 80-90 hp. Pair a stage 2 it with a few bolt on parts and you can double that. I would only go with a shop or company that is familiar with the engine/manufacturer. The chips in your link look suspect.

The thing that nobody tells you is that reliability is nearly always compromised. More heat, stress, etc.... if you tune, count on changing spark plugs, fluids, etc... more often.

Also, anything that flashes your ECU will also kiss your warranty goodbye.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32464
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 pm

All of the above.

I’ve had great luck using APR for VW/Audi vehicles.

User avatar
TLgdeL
Posts: 3142
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm
Name: Gee Deez
Location: MD

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by TLgdeL » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Above with all my Audi's. I've done both APR and GIAC, and haven't had issues with either.
Image Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43753
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:05 pm

I use to sell APR back in the day when they first started and they are great. These days you might even be able to find a local tuner by you who can road tune your ride for you.

User avatar
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Posts: 10929
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm
Name: Björn

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Apr chip and downpipe. Thy make good stuff and my fuel consumption is unchanged.
If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome; if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent; if you believe the military, nothing is safe.
--Lord Salisbury

User avatar
Dogmann
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 am
Name: Marc
Location: London UK

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by Dogmann » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:36 am

Hi mainman,

Lastly just a heads up don't forget if you do go down this route that you will need to let your Insurance company know exactly what you have done or risk in the event of an accident them not paying out claiming invalid insurance due to modifications. That is not just for your car but also saying you had no insurance would mean if the accident was your fault or they can't see who was at fault you could be liable for the other persons costs to and of course police prosecution for no insurance to.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by amckiwi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:14 am

Marc how can he insurance company tell the chip has been upgraded?
For bolt ons sure tell your insurance company
Internal engine mods probably no need either

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by bedlam » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Is this for turbo cars? My understanding is normally aspirated engines can't really be made much more efficient with a remap, so if you make them more powerful they are really just sucking down more fuel.

User avatar
Captdave
Posts: 3464
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm
Name: Dave
Location: To be determined

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by Captdave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Would a retune on a dieselgate TDI be advisable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 am

My L98 6L Gained 74 hp at the wheels with a full exhaust CAI and a tune
The tourque increased significantly always drive around in a gear higher than before the tune

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 am

9A677B75-6FEF-49C8-9842-46E6F5665B22.jpeg
Now have 387 rwhp on liquid LPG so cheaper than 4cylinder. Running costs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Dogmann
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 am
Name: Marc
Location: London UK

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by Dogmann » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am

@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

User avatar
amckiwi
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Name: Stu

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 am

I have told my insurer about all my mods :)
I will list them in the other thread about car mods.
But if I only had non visible mods I would not be telling the insurance company

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5679
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by dnslater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 am

Captdave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm
Would a retune on a dieselgate TDI be advisable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are tuned all the time. Engines are pretty tough. Can really crank up the torque with a tune.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43753
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 am

bedlam wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:13 pm
Is this for turbo cars? My understanding is normally aspirated engines can't really be made much more efficient with a remap, so if you make them more powerful they are really just sucking down more fuel.
Carl, you might be right. I have only done tunes on cars with turbo's. But some tunes remapp the shift patterns of the transmission so you do have more aggressive shift points.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43753
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 am
Captdave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm
Would a retune on a dieselgate TDI be advisable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are tuned all the time. Engines are pretty tough. Can really crank up the torque with a tune.
At one time my buddies at NGP racing had one pushing over 500hp. The TDI is a good tuneable engine, if anything they are better than most gas versions.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43753
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am

Dogmann wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am
@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
Weird. I wonder if this is a UK thing? I have never heard of that in the US.

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5679
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by dnslater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am
Dogmann wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am
@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
Weird. I wonder if this is a UK thing? I have never heard of that in the US.
I never have either, but most people probably simply don't tell the insurance companies. Downside is that you won't get any value for the mods in and accident.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15901
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am
Dogmann wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am
@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
Weird. I wonder if this is a UK thing? I have never heard of that in the US.
I never have either, but most people probably simply don't tell the insurance companies. Downside is that you won't get any value for the mods in and accident.
It's shocking that any company would insure a car with a roll cage. There's simply no way you can pad a cross (or diagonal) bar so that it wouldn't kill any passenger whose head hits it in an accident. Roll cage = full face helmet and five point harness.

User avatar
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Posts: 10929
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm
Name: Björn

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am

Dogmann wrote:@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
The UK is a different place... Image
If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome; if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent; if you believe the military, nothing is safe.
--Lord Salisbury

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 31641
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Engine Tuners

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 am

jeckyll wrote:
Dogmann wrote:@amckiwi

If only having a chip mod and nothing else I would agree on looks alone they should not be able to tell or at least it would be highly unlikely but as even this minor mod usually involves a upgraded air filter and that is a mod that needs to be reported maybe not safe after all and it would be better to report it. I was just mentioning this fact as some people don't actually realise just what needs to be declared re changes on your car to insurance companies whilst some are pretty obvious others not so much but can catch you out. In fact most would actually find it quite surprising just how minor some of the changes that need to be reported are but finding out at the worst time possible such as after an incident could prove to be very costly. As I'm in the UK I can only say how it works here it may well be different where you are but a quick Google search should give you the answers you need, anyway below is the main list.

Car Modification How it Affects Insurance
Turbo/Supercharging + 132%
Transmission or Gear change + 63%
Exhaust changes + 26%
Air Filter + 25%
Wheel arches + 41%
Complete body kit + 57%
Spoilers/Skirts + 23%
Light changes + 12%
Tinted windows + 16%
Replacement of seats + 27%
Roll Bars/Roll Cages + 41%
Dashboard changes + 16%
Uprated brakes + 36%
Suspension + 25%
Alloy wheels + 8%
LPG conversion + 15%
Sunroof + 17%
Air conditioning + 13 %
Satellite navigation system + 15%
Car phone kit + 26%
Parking sensors - 13%
Specialised paintwork + 15%
Stripes & badges + 9%

Also whilst a mod may not be easily detectable by sight alone it is well known now that insurance companies will and do search a claimants social media so if you have boasted look at my shiny new alloys or exhaust or any of the other things they are looking out for you could be in for it.

Marc
The UK is a different place... Image
You said it. Off topic, but I found this on Twitter a few weeks ago. I got a good laugh at some of the “offensive weapons” they took off the streets.
ImageImage
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests