Test Drove A Telluride

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Test Drove A Telluride

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:26 am
Selym wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:12 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 pm
I wouldn’t. It’s just a polished 4Runner with higher maintenance costs. It is a great platform, but it’s more than 10 yrs old now. If I was to buy a Toyota SUV I’d consider the new Rav4. It’s evolved a lot and looks ts great if a small/crossover will fit the bill.
As for full size SUVs, Matt will be well served by any new one. New cars are extremely reliable and as long as he avoids the Germans, maintenance is nominal.
As far as the mechanicals go, you can have it serviced and repaired by a Toyota dealer or an independent. The infotainment stuff is another matter.

I see the 10-year-old platform as an advantage. It's tried-and-true, and there is a huge aftermarket.

While the RAV is a nice car, I wouldn't put it in the same category as something built on a light truck platform.
The 4Runner engine is dated. Fuel economy isn't ideal, it lacks power and it is LOUD. Our '14 SR5 has been totally reliable and cheap ($35 oil changes every 10k miles), but to be fair, so has my GMC truck and all other non-German made vehicles I've owned in the past 10 yrs. The infotainment system in it is among one of the worst I've ever used. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same system that was found in the gen 4 model.
The last one I had was a V8 and it was a beast, then Toyota decided to downgrade it to v6-only to further differentiate GX from 4Runner. The new 4Runner, whenever it comes out, needs to come back with the engine from GX460
The 4Runner is a pretty damn big vehicle. There's no reason why that couldn't stuff a Tundra V8 in it.
If you have $100k to spend on a Yota, check out the 2020 LC Heritage Edition. It's gorgeous.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:05 am
JBZ wrote:My wife recently picked up a pre-owned Honda Pilot, and she loves it (so do I when I'm allowed to drive it). The prices are ridiculous - even pre-owned (with less than 20K miles, but still) we paid in the high 2's. Given that most companies offer a certified pre-owned program now, I don't know why anyone would buy new.
This is exactly our philosophy when buying a car or truck. Certified pre-owned is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned
Certainly something I'm considering.

By the time Sept./Oct rolls around that might be an option for a Telluride, too.
Last edited by mattcantwin on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 am

Captdave wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm
jimyritz wrote:Pretty good looking vehicle and 43K loaded isn't bad...if it's loaded.. Personally, I'm just not ready to buy a Kia...
I used to think that too. Then rode in a partners and holy cow! I was impressed. Kia and Hyundai have become top tier auto makers IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
================================================
Good to know...I have to go test drive one...

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:19 am

jimyritz wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 am
Good to know...I have to go test drive one...
If you do a test drive, post your impressions.