Test Drove A Telluride

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
four20
Name: erik

Re: Test Drove A Telluride

Post by four20 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 am

streetracer101 wrote:That is an awful color, but the overall dimensions look pretty good. I wonder how these will do in the snow.
Only as good as the 4-season street tires will allow

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 am

ChuckW wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 am
matt.wu wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:54 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:Cars are expensive. I guess that’s why I drive a shit box and have a bunch of Rolex.
Lol. I am not happy unless my watch costs more than the car I’m driving!
Everytime I entertain the thought of upgrading from my '98 Maxima, I pause to consider:

-No covered parking at my condo.
-Retired, no commuting.
-It may not look fab, but everything works.
-Insurance and taxes are next to nothing.
-Blue book value is next to nothing.
-It's incredibly safe. It won't be carjacked or broken into and other drivers will get the fuck outta my way.
Some shithead (probably a student) hit and ran my car on campus this semester. It made me very happy that I'm not driving a new car.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm

four20 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 am
streetracer101 wrote:That is an awful color, but the overall dimensions look pretty good. I wonder how these will do in the snow.

True to a degree, but there's a difference in handling with unibody v body on frame construction.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:20 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 am
ChuckW wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Cars are expensive. I guess that’s why I drive a shit box and have a bunch of Rolex.
Everytime I entertain the thought of upgrading from my '98 Maxima, I pause to consider:

-Retired, no commuting.
-It's incredibly safe. It won't be carjacked or broken into and other drivers will get the fuck outta my way.
Some shithead (probably a student) hit and ran my car on campus this semester. It made me very happy that I'm not driving a new car.
Funny. After I sold my '87 911 I started commuting in my wife's 2001 330i. It's been hit, dinged, sand blasted by trucks on the freeway, etc. and I couldn't care less. It's very liberating driving a POS you don't have to worry about :)

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm

logan2z wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:20 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 am
ChuckW wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

-Retired, no commuting.
Funny. After I sold my '87 911 I started commuting in my wife's 2001 330i. It's been hit, dinged, sand blasted by trucks on the freeway, etc. and I couldn't care less. It's very liberating driving a POS you don't have to worry about :)
In addition, it's a car I don't mind smoking a cigar in. It has a sunroof, so I can make the world my ashtray.
No, it's not Tourettes.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 pm

four20 wrote:

Tires make a huge difference.

We got tired (!) of doing the snow tire changeover each spring & fall, so my family is running a great all-terrain on two Subaru’s and my Jeep. The Yokohama G015 is as comfortable as a street all-season, but more aggressive tread and better compounding allows for the outstanding winter traction we have experienced. I’d say 90-95% of a winter tire. Love these things so much we swapped off brand new tires at purchase to run these. Worth every penny.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Tires make a huge difference.

We got tired (!) of doing the snow tire changeover each spring & fall, so my family is running a great all-terrain on two Subaru’s and my Jeep. The Yokohama G015 is as comfortable as a street all-season, but more aggressive tread and better compounding allows for the outstanding winter traction we have experienced. I’d say 90-95% of a winter tire. Love these things so much we swapped off brand new tires at purchase to run these. Worth every penny.
Thanks for the rec, I'll have to check them out.
I run Hankook Dynapro ATM's on the Trooper .
I like them but wished they lasted longer.
(pretty sure my driving style has something to do with that as well though) :headbang:
Greg

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Driving by the Kia dealership today (it's very close to my house - that might be a "problem"),
I saw they got in a Telluride in the top trim level parked next to the LX I test drove yesterday.

Pulled into the parking lot to take a couple of pics.

Pretty cool looking.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:23 pm

That green looks good ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 pm

I can’t imagine buying a new car.
My parents do it. My brother does it- or used to before leasing. And I think they are crazy.

Dropping 50k on a new car... I’m all about buying a few years old and getting if for half price.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 pm
I can’t imagine buying a new car.
My parents do it. My brother does it- or used to before leasing. And I think they are crazy.

Dropping 50k on a new car... I’m all about buying a few years old and getting if for half price.
totally.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Pretty good looking vehicle and 43K loaded isn't bad...if it's loaded.. Personally, I'm just not ready to buy a Kia...

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm

jimyritz wrote:Pretty good looking vehicle and 43K loaded isn't bad...if it's loaded.. Personally, I'm just not ready to buy a Kia...
I used to think that too. Then rode in a partners and holy cow! I was impressed. Kia and Hyundai have become top tier auto makers IMHO.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Matt have you looked at a used LC/LX maybe?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:02 pm
I wouldn’t. It’s just a polished 4Runner with higher maintenance costs. It is a great platform, but it’s more than 10 yrs old now. If I was to buy a Toyota SUV I’d consider the new Rav4. It’s evolved a lot and looks ts great if a small/crossover will fit the bill.
As for full size SUVs, Matt will be well served by any new one. New cars are extremely reliable and as long as he avoids the Germans, maintenance is nominal.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Captdave wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm
jimyritz wrote:Pretty good looking vehicle and 43K loaded isn't bad...if it's loaded.. Personally, I'm just not ready to buy a Kia...
I used to think that too. Then rode in a partners and holy cow! I was impressed. Kia and Hyundai have become top tier auto makers IMHO.

I drove a K900 a while back. Super bad ass!

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
I wouldn’t. It’s just a polished 4Runner with higher maintenance costs. It is a great platform, but it’s more than 10 yrs old now. If I was to buy a Toyota SUV I’d consider the new Rav4. It’s evolved a lot and looks ts great if a small/crossover will fit the bill.
As for full size SUVs, Matt will be well served by any new one. New cars are extremely reliable and as long as he avoids the Germans, maintenance is nominal.
I disagree. Land Cruiser is nothing like a 4Runner. I've had both of various gens.
For 45K I would most certainly take 2014-2015 LX/LC over Kia
But I was just wondering if Matt looked at one.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I disagree. Land Cruiser is nothing like a 4Runner. I've had both of various gens.
For 45K I would most certainly take 2014-2015 LX/LC over Kia
But I was just wondering if Matt looked at one.
No, I haven't, Art.

If it doesn't have a 2nd row bench seat option, it's out of the running, though.
Last edited by mattcantwin on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:12 am

streetracer101 wrote:
As far as the mechanicals go, you can have it serviced and repaired by a Toyota dealer or an independent. The infotainment stuff is another matter.

I see the 10-year-old platform as an advantage. It's tried-and-true, and there is a huge aftermarket.

While the RAV is a nice car, I wouldn't put it in the same category as something built on a light truck platform.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:31 am

Selym wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:12 am
streetracer101 wrote:
As far as the mechanicals go, you can have it serviced and repaired by a Toyota dealer or an independent. The infotainment stuff is another matter.

I see the 10-year-old platform as an advantage. It's tried-and-true, and there is a huge aftermarket.

While the RAV is a nice car, I wouldn't put it in the same category as something built on a light truck platform.
Landcruiser is perhaps the last vehicle on earth that's made with 25-30 years in-service lifespan in mind. Everything else is disposable.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:41 am

My wife recently picked up a pre-owned Honda Pilot, and she loves it (so do I when I'm allowed to drive it). The prices are ridiculous - even pre-owned (with less than 20K miles, but still) we paid in the high 2's. Given that most companies offer a certified pre-owned program now, I don't know why anyone would buy new.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:31 am
Selym wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Landcruiser is perhaps the last vehicle on earth that's made with 25-30 years in-service lifespan in mind. Everything else is disposable.
Fair. Good luck finding a LC under 5 yrs old. Toyota's MSRP for them has slaughtered sales. The base price is $85k and even a 4 yr old model (previous gen) will command $50k +. I was looking into them to replace my wifes 4Runner, but I think we'll just keep it and run it till it dies. The idea of a car note isn't appealing the older I get.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:26 am

Selym wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

The 4Runner engine is dated. Fuel economy isn't ideal, it lacks power and it is LOUD. Our '14 SR5 has been totally reliable and cheap ($35 oil changes every 10k miles), but to be fair, so has my GMC truck and all other non-German made vehicles I've owned in the past 10 yrs. The infotainment system in it is among one of the worst I've ever used. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same system that was found in the gen 4 model.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:26 am
Selym wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

The 4Runner engine is dated. Fuel economy isn't ideal, it lacks power and it is LOUD. Our '14 SR5 has been totally reliable and cheap ($35 oil changes every 10k miles), but to be fair, so has my GMC truck and all other non-German made vehicles I've owned in the past 10 yrs. The infotainment system in it is among one of the worst I've ever used. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same system that was found in the gen 4 model.
The last one I had was a V8 and it was a beast, then Toyota decided to downgrade it to v6-only to further differentiate GX from 4Runner. The new 4Runner, whenever it comes out, needs to come back with the engine from GX460

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:05 am

JBZ wrote:My wife recently picked up a pre-owned Honda Pilot, and she loves it (so do I when I'm allowed to drive it). The prices are ridiculous - even pre-owned (with less than 20K miles, but still) we paid in the high 2's. Given that most companies offer a certified pre-owned program now, I don't know why anyone would buy new.
This is exactly our philosophy when buying a car or truck. Certified pre-owned is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned