New Release?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: New Release?

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:13 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
Selym wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:55 am
I'm glad to see that the Telluride comes with a V6! I'm tired of the EPA designing cars. The force-fed 4-bangers found in most everything these days only deliver the fuel economy on the EPA test loop. In real-world conditions, they aren't much more efficient than the 6-cylinder engines they replaced, and they're more complex and stressed.
I would challenge your statement on fuel efficiency being fake. In all places where fuel economy really matters (europe, asia), 4 cylinder engines are the standard
I think the issue is that best case versus worst case file economy for a turbo engine can be pretty startling. A 1.8 liter turbo can get great gas mileage if you stay off boost. However, then it drives like a no torque 1.8 liter engine. They also suffer a lot more than a naturally aspirated engine from heat loss.

All designs can work though.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:14 am

My credit is pretty damn good, and I choose to commute in a 2017 Sonata Sport. It’s not at all sporty, but is extremely well made, comfortable, and completely reliable. The only thing I dislike is the tires (Kumho), but that will be remedied when these wear out.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:34 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
I would challenge your statement on fuel efficiency being fake. In all places where fuel economy really matters (europe, asia), 4 cylinder engines are the standard
I'm referring to the highly-boosted turbocharged 4s that have been replacing V6s in the North American market.

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:40 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:00 am
German or Japanese or GTFO
Hate those wannabe Huidai and Kia, they're like micro watches of automotive industry
That Teliride looks like Volvo and a bunch of other cars, nothing original, just like Micros :lol:
Even Huidai stupid logo is designed to full people they were buying a real car Honda back in the day. Bad credit special.
I agree that Hyundai and Kia styling is highly derivative, but they build solid cars.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 am

Finally, the other difference between the two (Palisade and Telluride) is where they're assembled —

the Hyundai is imported from Ulsan, South Korea, while the Kia is made at Kia's plant in West Point, Ga.

Assembly here vs South Korea, one have an edge over the other?

Could that be a factor in parts availability?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am

That’s interesting. But I don’t think it has anything to do with parts a availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 am

Seppia wrote:Oh ok, yeah those engines don’t work because they’re simply too small for the massive cars Americans drive.

If regulators want to reduce emissions, they should instead focus on convincing America that F150s are very stupid cars for the average person who doesn’t regularly carry cattle, heavy machinery etc.

I don’t know if work trucks like the F 150 are driven by many folks who don’t need them.
Where I live, a lot of people drive trucks. But from what I see they are used as work trucks as it’s all farm land around me. That and other labor - my dad has work trucks and they are used for a purpose.
I work in the city. I hardly ever see pickup trucks. Mostly cars and some SUVs.

I just find it funny how you generalize people in the USA. Sometimes you are right. Sometimes.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am
Oh ok, yeah those engines don’t work because they’re simply too small for the massive cars Americans drive.

If regulators want to reduce emissions, they should instead focus on convincing America that F150s are very stupid cars for the average person who doesn’t regularly carry cattle, heavy machinery etc.
F150 is a great truck and if I'm not mistaken #1 selling vehicle in US.
Let's not go crazy European "the world is ending" and all drive 1.8 diesels :)

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:32 am

I drive an F150 because I like it and I can. What more reason do I need? :rolleyes:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:36 am

I'd drive a Kia Stinger.

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:36 am
I'd drive a Kia Stinger.
Me too. That's an exciting car.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:17 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 am
Finally, the other difference between the two (Palisade and Telluride) is where they're assembled —

the Hyundai is imported from Ulsan, South Korea, while the Kia is made at Kia's plant in West Point, Ga.

Assembly here vs South Korea, one have an edge over the other?

Could that be a factor in parts availability?
We have a Hyundai Genesis 5.0. I have no issue with getting parts. But it is a Genesis, so I have yet to need to get parts. :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:21 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:30 am
Hyundai suppposedly has the best service and reliability.
I have to say my local Hyundai dealer sucks. But the one in Denver is great. I think it has to do with the owners of the dealership more than the actual brand itself. The Hyundai dealer in Denver treats us great and I have only been their for oil changes. No upsell uses. Or local one tried to upsell me on everything and our car only has 50k on it!!

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Panerai7 wrote:German or Japanese or GTFO
Hate those wannabe Huidai and Kia, they're like micro watches of automotive industry
That Teliride looks like Volvo and a bunch of other cars, nothing original, just like Micros :lol:
Even Huidai stupid logo is designed to full people they were buying a real car Honda back in the day. Bad credit special.

Damn Art. This post is reminding me of when you first came to DWC and came off as an arrogant asshole. Maybe vodka fused post ?
DEATH FROM ABOVE

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:25 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Damn Art. This post is reminding me of when you first came to DWC and came off as an arrogant asshole. Maybe vodka fused post ?
Art's account was hacked.

I can remember when people used to bash Japanese imports. They're eating crow now.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Panerai7 wrote:German or Japanese or GTFO

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm just passionate about cars as much as watches. I realize it didn't come out nice.

dukerules

New Release?

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Kia and Hyundai were a bit of a joke when they first came to the US, similar I imagine to the early years of Datsun, Toyota, and Honda in some ways. But the quality is by all accounts quite high, Genesis is legit, and the Stinger shows that they might become serious about performance enthusiast vehicles, too. More choice is good for the consumer, too.

Selym

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm
Kia and Hyundai were a bit of a joke when they first came to the US, similar I imagine to the early years of Datsun, Toyota, and Honda in some ways. But the quality is by all accounts quite high, Genesis is legit, and the Stinger shows that they might become serious about performance enthusiast vehicles, too. More choice is good for the consumer, too.
I drove an '87 Excel in the mid 90s. While far from plush, fast, or exciting, it was 100% reliable. It's wheezy, 1.5-l, carburetted engine started on the coldest of winter mornings. I'm glad I never collided with anything...they didn't use an ounce more metal than was absolutely necessary in those cars.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:49 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm
Yep. People called Lexus and Acura sedans Mercedes rip offs 25 years ago.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 am
Seppia wrote:Oh ok, yeah those engines don’t work because they’re simply too small for the massive cars Americans drive.

I don’t know if work trucks like the F 150 are driven by many folks who don’t need them.
Where I live, a lot of people drive trucks. But from what I see they are used as work trucks as it’s all farm land around me. That and other labor - my dad has work trucks and they are used for a purpose.

I just find it funny how you generalize people in the USA. Sometimes you are right. Sometimes.
While I don’t haul with my F150 regularly, the ground clearance and 4wd is a must in my line of work. You rarely get the “no problem that you’re snowed in. We don’t need this train to move immediately.” Sure trucks aren’t cheap or fuel efficient, but just having one allows me to stay reliable and earn a solid income no matter the time of year. There have been times I’ve used my truck in a pinch to haul around railroad equipment.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Seppia wrote:
BBK357 wrote: I don’t know if work trucks like the F 150 are driven by many folks who don’t need them.

F150 being the number 1 selling vehicle in the USA, I don’t think my statements qualify as “generalizing”.

It’s obviously a great work truck, but numbers suggest that most people driving them aren’t farmers or workers operating heavy machinery.

Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn’t change the fact that massive super heavy trucks are stupid vehicles to operate if we think in terms of efficiency.

So aside from personal tastes - that are and remain indisputable - my point was that government regulators would be more effective trying to shift people away from buying 25tons tanks rather than trying to stick a 4cylinder engine inside them and call them fuel efficient.

Got it. I just know in my area most people who drive them are def in the working group. I can’t account for other areas of the USA or even know.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:35 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm
Seppia wrote:
BBK357 wrote: I don’t know if work trucks like the F 150 are driven by many folks who don’t need them.

F150 being the number 1 selling vehicle in the USA, I don’t think my statements qualify as “generalizing”.

It’s obviously a great work truck, but numbers suggest that most people driving them aren’t farmers or workers operating heavy machinery.

Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn’t change the fact that massive super heavy trucks are stupid vehicles to operate if we think in terms of efficiency.

So aside from personal tastes - that are and remain indisputable - my point was that government regulators would be more effective trying to shift people away from buying 25tons tanks rather than trying to stick a 4cylinder engine inside them and call them fuel efficient.

Got it. I just know in my area most people who drive them are def in the working group. I can’t account for other areas of the USA or even know.
The main people who drive them here are people who work on homes.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:35 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:28 pm
Seppia wrote:

The main people who drive them here are people who work on homes. The rest drive Subaru's and Jeep's, who get the same mpg as the F150.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:25 pm

r.palace wrote:I drive an F150 because I like it and I can. What more reason do I need? :rolleyes:
That’s very American of you. How crude.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm

^^^ That’s the truth. I drive a Tacoma, but I don’t work in the trades. I just use the truck for home projects (I do a lot of landscaping at home) and for hauling surf boards to the beach.

Even though the Tacoma is a “mid size” truck, the mileage is pretty bad. My 4.0 liter Jeep was pretty much equivalent in MPG (if not better). I think the Tacoma mileage is also about even with the new V6 turbo F150 (but the Ford makes more power).

Cost-wise, the F150 is probably about equal to the Tacoma too.

The main reason I bought the Tacoma was ease of parking. If I lived in a more open, less congested area, I’d have probably picked a full sized truck for room and comfort. Mileage is largely a non-issue.