Breaking Car Lease

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
zepp21
Name: Alex

Breaking Car Lease

Post by zepp21 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Anyone know if it is possible to get out of a car lease? Quick version: Leased the Alfa Romeo and while I like it, I'm just not happy in a SUV. With 30 months left am I SOL to get out of the lease and into a truck or is there a feasible way? Obviously not looking to hurt my credit, or have to pay enormous fees. Thanks guys!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

zepp21

Re: Breaking Car Lease

Post by zepp21 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Oh and I would be looking at a Ram so staying within the same dealership and corporate umbrella...if that helps.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 pm

You can “get out of a lease” but they’ll just roll your current monthly payments into the new lease either way. No way a car company is going to “eat” (as they call it) 30 or so payments

ETFs (early termination fees) vary by company and leasing programs whether favorable or not depend on the vehicle so some vehicles are more “forgiveable” than others when talking about early termination

Best bet is to ask directly what you’d owe and what your options are
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I noticed the Alfa’s had some solid lease deals last year, so if you got in on that you may be ok.

I believe you can let someone take over the lease, but they have to qualify. Your specific lease lender will need to tell you if yours can be handled this way.

Also, there is a website called Swapalease and it’s designed for this type of situation.

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 pm
I noticed the Alfa’s had some solid lease deals last year, so if you got in on that you may be ok.

I believe you can let someone take over the lease, but they have to qualify. Your specific lease lender will need to tell you if yours can be handled this way.

Also, there is a website called Swapalease and it’s designed for this type of situation.
Can always try Carmax or other dealer to sell the car. They pay the leasing company, and you get a check if you are not upside down, or you pay the difference.
Image Image

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 am

Swaplease

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 pm

r.palace wrote:You can “get out of a lease” but they’ll just roll your current monthly payments into the new lease either way. No way a car company is going to “eat” (as they call it) 30 or so payments

ETFs (early termination fees) vary by company and leasing programs whether favorable or not depend on the vehicle so some vehicles are more “forgiveable” than others when talking about early termination

Do you call the leasing company or dealership?

r.palace

Breaking Car Lease

Post by r.palace » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm

zepp21 wrote:
r.palace wrote:You can “get out of a lease” but they’ll just roll your current monthly payments into the new lease either way. No way a car company is going to “eat” (as they call it) 30 or so payments

Do you call the leasing company or dealership?

Leasing company. Dealership may or may not give you a concrete answer.

I’d rather call Rolex directly than deal with the AD Image
ImageImage

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:42 pm

So I called the leasing company. They told me to call the dealership to get my answers of options beyond just a payout of 13k. Basically I'm thinking at this point, SOL so better to stop thinking and just drive the vehicle.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm

I swapped cars 2 years into my 3 year Lexus lease. I did it all through the dealer. They made it seem like it wasn’t a big deal.

I wasn’t charged any fees or anything. I just noticed later my credit score was dinged 50 points from closing out the loan I guess.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:02 pm

zepp21 wrote:So I called the leasing company. They told me to call the dealership to get my answers of options beyond just a payout of 13k. Basically I'm thinking at this point, SOL so better to stop thinking and just drive the vehicle.

Hmm. Guess it varies by company. Honda/Acura insisted I call the leasing company.

Swapalease would be an option if your contract allows it
ImageImage

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm

zepp21 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm
Oh and I would be looking at a Ram so staying within the same dealership and corporate umbrella...if that helps.

I don't know about the lease - but those new Ram trucks are sweet. I test drove one a couple of months ago and almost bought it.

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm

shaneotool wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm

I don't know about the lease - but those new Ram trucks are sweet. I test drove one a couple of months ago and almost bought it.
Stop it. It isn't doable with swapping unless I flat out use a service like swapalease