Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am
Get him a civic or a gti. Fun, reliable and not douchy. Manual or GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, manual Civic Si or auto is perfect. Reliable and sounds fast but not really goes anywhere.
I'd stay away from VW product unless it's under full warranty. They fall apart so bad that VAG even extended the warranty to 6 years and 72Kmi on new ones. Golf R is made in Germany so it's more reliable but too fast for a first car and GTI is made in Mexico so YMMV on reliability

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:05 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 am
Joeprez wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am
Get him a civic or a gti. Fun, reliable and not douchy. Manual or GTFO.

Agreed, manual Civic Si or auto is perfect. Reliable and sounds fast but not really goes anywhere.
I'd stay away from VW product unless it's under full warranty. They fall apart so bad that VAG even extended the warranty to 6 years and 72Kmi on new ones. Golf R is made in Germany so it's more reliable but too fast for a first car and GTI is made in Mexico so YMMV on reliability
Robots don’t care what country they are in. VW extended the warranty as a reaction to the poor sales after the diesel scandal. Reliability is mid pack these days. Still not Honda/Toyota level.

Aaron Shapiro
Name: Aaron Shapiro

Post by Aaron Shapiro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 am

My folks gave me their old 1989/90 Toyota FJ62... I drove it for two years then sold it before moving to LA... boy do I wish I’d known what I had...

Don’t really have any advice, just remembering.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:58 am

I’m not generally a fan of buying the kid a car, but with that in mind....

My ex was in the market for something after her Beetle TDI was bought back by VW. I know you said $20k but... we found her a Certified Pre Owned 2016 A3 for $25,500. It was six months old at the time and had 5k miles. It was a dealer service loaner and had the full 6 year 100k factory CPO warranty. Options included; panoramic moonroof, automatic, push button start, Bluetooth, and heated seats. This was less money than a new Civic EX and it’s been a fantastic car.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am
Ha! You are thinking along entirely different lines than I would for my son's first vehicle.

I was thinking along the lines of a basic "work truck" edition full size pick up with a bench seat. Make it big enough that he has good visibility and heavy enough that he is likely to survive his first accident. Make it square enough that it doesn't go too fast and is a gas hog so he doesn't have to drive all his buddies everywhere. Make it cramped enough in the cab so he can only take one, or maybe two, friends.

Anything sporty and peer pressure will encourage him to find out just how sporty it is. "Sporty" and "novice driver" do not mix.
Hahaha I like this. My parents "gifted" me the old Plymouth Voyager minivan when I was 16.

My kids are probably getting an old pickup. Gives me an excuse to buy a new one now that can be old once they're 16...
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:12 am

CGSshorty wrote:Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've been a cop for too long and seen too many teenagers do stupid things with cars they aren't ready for. No 16 or 17 year old has the skills or maturity for a GTI (or similar).

This^

My dad turned down 2 cars we test drove when I was 16. A supercharged grand am and a mustang with a 5.0.
As upset as I was, he made a very smart decision.
My first car was a 1991 Chevy 1500 that was lowered and had a 350 v8 and 5sp transmission- put headers on it and other mods. I had my license suspended 2 times by the time I was 17 and the last time it was actually taken away for 6 months.

That being said- I just got a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. It is a great roomy car, nice engine but not fast, updated interior, great gas mileage and was under $13000.

Keeping my 4Runner for back up and winter duty- but Lincoln is set on that being his first car. We’ll see what happens in 8 years.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:15 am

Anyone suggesting a modern GTI for a 16 year old is crazy.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:26 am

This thread brings back memories.... my parents never gifted me a car and I bought my own for 300 bucks.... a very cool Renault 4 GTL from 1982. Lasted about a year and then sold it and bought a Suzuki GS 750. Good times!

Pic from the web
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mart -

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:26 am

My first car was my Grandma’s 65’ Plymouth Valiant, push button automatic, no power steering, or power brakes...I was just happy to be driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am

matt.wu wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am
Ha! You are thinking along entirely different lines than I would for my son's first vehicle.

I was thinking along the lines of a basic "work truck" edition full size pick up with a bench seat. Make it big enough that he has good visibility and heavy enough that he is likely to survive his first accident. Make it square enough that it doesn't go too fast and is a gas hog so he doesn't have to drive all his buddies everywhere. Make it cramped enough in the cab so he can only take one, or maybe two, friends.

Anything sporty and peer pressure will encourage him to find out just how sporty it is. "Sporty" and "novice driver" do not mix.
Hahaha I like this. My parents "gifted" me the old Plymouth Voyager minivan when I was 16.

My kids are probably getting an old pickup. Gives me an excuse to buy a new one now that can be old once they're 16...
I'm with both of you. I was gifted this car from my parents for my junior year in HS in 76. It was a 1962 Buick Special Wagon. I was just happy to have something to drive at that age, and have a ton of memories with it.

Giving kids really nice cars at that age just falls in the "enabling" category imo.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 am

hoppyjr wrote:I’m not generally a fan of buying the kid a car, but with that in mind....

My ex was in the market for something after her Beetle TDI was bought back by VW. I know you said $20k but... we found her a Certified Pre Owned 2016 A3 for $25,500. It was six months old at the time and had 5k miles. It was a dealer service loaner and had the full 6 year 100k factory CPO warranty. Options included; panoramic moonroof, automatic, push button start, Bluetooth, and heated seats. This was less money than a new Civic EX and it’s been a fantastic car.

Edit: While I provided info above, it’s not what we did with our son.

My kid drove the old green Taurus that I picked up used and had become the family “spare car”. It was a solid first car but he saved his money and bought a relatives used suv a year later. At 20 he had continued to save and bought himself a CPO Audi A4. It’s paid off and getting up there in miles, so he’s selling and buying my Outback.

There is tremendous value in a kid working and saving for their own “cool” car.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 am
There is tremendous value in a kid working and saving for their own “cool” car.
Totally agree. My parents brought me to the bank and made me get a $3000 loan for my first car and looking back I’m glad they did. Started building credit. Learned how to get a loan. Worked hard to make the payments and babied that car.

I suggested the GTI above as it fit the criteria he was looking for, but objectively it probably isn’t the safest option. My oldest bought my wife’s 2006 Civic Hybrid. Perfect first car. Slow as molasses, safe and reliable.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 am

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:47 am

At 16 my older brother passed down his 1968 3 speed semi-automatic VW Bug. No chick magnet but happy as hell to have wheels and independence.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am

I'm against buying a 16 yr old a car. Too much risk . That's said, if you must then buy something underpowered and safe. 4-cyl accord/Camry sounds good. Sporty means speeding tickets in your future and reckless behaviour.
The Hapa

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am

1978 Oldsmobile 98 was my first car. It looked just like this one.
.Image
David St. Hubbins

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:06 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am
.Image
Was it "boomin' with a trunk of funk?" :lol:

Did Chuck D actually own an Olds 98?

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Selym wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
.Image

Nice. Bought that album on vinyl! Still have it in a milk create somewhere... Image

Send lawyers, guns and money...

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Good advice in this thread. Thanks for helping me think through this.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm
Selym wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
1978 Oldsmobile 98 was my first car.

Nice. Bought that album on vinyl! Still have it in a milk create somewhere... Image
I still love PE.

To get back on topic, my first car was an '82 Toyota Celica GT that I paid $1500 for. Great car for a kid; not fast, a little rusty, but still fun to drive.

Keep it simple and safe for a 16-year-old; finding something that's fun for you to drive is probably at cross purposes.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm

My original thought was actually a MT Accord Sport. Plenty of fun to drive, but sensible at the same time. When my wife nixed the MT, my mind stated wandering. We are looking at an A3 today, but probably won't go that direction.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:05 pm

mellonb1 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:47 am
At 16 my older brother passed down his 1968 3 speed semi-automatic VW Bug. No chick magnet but happy as hell to have wheels and independence.
Sweet!! :thumbsup:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm

.Image
David St. Hubbins

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Civic or Mazda 3
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Bought my daughter an older Mercedes 300E for her first car. Figured it was big, heavy, ABS, airbags etc...to keep her safe and it was bullet proof. She drove it from age 16 thru college. Our deal with her was as long as she was in running start we’d buy the car and a computer for her and pay for everything so she didn’t have to work and could focus on her studies. It paid off for us. She graduated high school with a AA degree and was Phi Theta Kappa. Saved us over two years of college expenses.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.