Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 am

Just crowd sourcing/thinking out loud.

My son will be driving in the next few months, and we need to get him a car. Looking to buy something now actually, as my car probably isn't something I'm anxious to drive much in the winter, so I'd actually be borrowing it at times. Need either FWD or AWD, and we do not want an SUV.

He's REALLY into cars, motorsport, racing, etc.

My first inclination would be to buy him a typical Accord/Camry/similar and call it a day. Only problem is, I'm going to be driving it as well, and I would love something a little more fun. Interestingly, mid-mileage used Audi A3s, A4s and BMW 3-series aren't much more expensive than their Toyota and Honda counterparts. I'm fully aware of the douche factor of a new driver pulling up to school in one of these. I think there is also something to be said for having something pretty basic as your first car...I certainly did. And while he has a pretty good head on his shoulders, I'm also a little hesitant to give him the keys to something a little more potent and sporty than the alternatives.

So a couple of questions:
-Would you buy a used A3, A4 or 3-series from a reliability standpoint?
-Are there any other vehicles in this segment I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Marjak
Name: Mart

Re: Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Post by Marjak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 am

VW Golf GTI?
- Mart -

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 am

Having owned an A3 3.2 Quattro and BMWs, get a GTI before an A3 or 3 series.

I’m hoping my eGolf holds out long enough to make it as the first car for my son. A lot of R32 guys love them, if you haven’t driven one. It’s a blast around town, and governed at like 87mph.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:25 am

What is your budget? How “used” are you talking? The A3 is actually pretty reliable these days. Basically a Golf under the skin and the modern VW/Audi 2.0T is fairly bulletproof. A4’s aren’t bad in recent years if well taken care of.

As far as BMW 3 series, see if you can find a low mileage E90 BMW. The inline 6 in the later versions was super bulletproof. Newer 3 series have switched to turbo engines and the jury is still out.

Service history is important with any used German car as is a Pre purchase inspection if not buying CPO. Also, many people dump them just before they are due for the big 100k service. I think BMW still uses timing belts. Audi uses chains but the tensioners can go bad.

As far as avoiding the douche factor, you could consider a used Golf R. Great cars with AWD. Or a GTI. Also consider a Civic Si for something more reliable. Not a fan of the styling on the new ones but the previous version is relatively low key.

Subaru WRX is one to consider but the tend to be a little much with the wings and body work. Some of the older ones really burn oil due to the vertical gasket in the center of the boxer engine.

I have a 2015 VW Golf GTI. It is a blast and fairly practical. Good back seat and cargo space and gets 34mpg highway. Modern ones are relatively reliable. Not Honda reliable but if you maintain them properly they will last. My 10 year old is really into cars and is hoping mine lasts long enough to be his.

People knock VW reliability and there is some merit to this, but the Golf lineup is the second best selling car in the world and VW gets it right here.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am

Ha! You are thinking along entirely different lines than I would for my son's first vehicle.

I was thinking along the lines of a basic "work truck" edition full size pick up with a bench seat. Make it big enough that he has good visibility and heavy enough that he is likely to survive his first accident. Make it square enough that it doesn't go too fast and is a gas hog so he doesn't have to drive all his buddies everywhere. Make it cramped enough in the cab so he can only take one, or maybe two, friends.

Anything sporty and peer pressure will encourage him to find out just how sporty it is. "Sporty" and "novice driver" do not mix.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am

Get him a civic or a gti. Fun, reliable and not douchy. Manual or GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am

Trying to keep this at $20K or below. And I think we've ruled out the BMW. I really can't have my kid pull up to school in one...it's just a bit too much.

I considered the GTI and the Golf R. The Golf R's are actually more expensive than A3s and A4s, and the GTI's aren't much less. All things being equal, I'd probably spring for Audi over VW for roughly the same money, knowing that these are closely related vehicles in the VAG ecosystem.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am

Man, I really pushed for manual for this one, but it's a no-go for my wife. That's the one thing she's firm on. Crazy, but she wants to be able to drive it.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 am

dukerules wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am
Man, I really pushed for manual for this one, but it's a no-go for my wife. That's the one thing she's firm on. Crazy, but she wants to be able to drive it.
Manual would have great. It's a dying skill and a fun way of learning how to drive.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 am

Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've been a cop for too long and seen too many teenagers do stupid things with cars they aren't ready for. No 16 or 17 year old has the skills or maturity for a GTI (or similar).
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:07 am

CGSshorty wrote:Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've been a cop for too long and seen too many teenagers do stupid things with cars they aren't ready for. No 16 or 17 year old has the skills or maturity for a GTI (or similar).
+1
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 am

dukerules wrote:
Teach her, she would become the BADASS among her friends. :grin:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:36 am

DP
Last edited by Joeprez on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 am
Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've been a cop for too long and seen too many teenagers do stupid things with cars they aren't ready for. No 16 or 17 year old has the skills or maturity for a GTI (or similar).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sporty-looki ... 26535.html

Comes with a manual.

TSD

Post by TSD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:38 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 am
dukerules wrote:
I tried teaching my wife once. Recipe for divorce. :rolleyes:

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 am

Marjak wrote:VW Golf GTI?
Exactly what I bought for my daughter, 2008 GTI.

Edit: Call me crazy! Thankfully, she is very responsible.
Last edited by JDC222 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 am

TSD wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:38 am
Joeprez wrote:
dukerules wrote:
:lol:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 am
Hard to argue with this.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 am

TSD wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
dukerules wrote:
BTDT. Our first and only lesson lasted 5 minutes and she never tried again. In retrospect a good thing. The 993 has never seen a run to Whole Foods or The Container Store ;)

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 am

We went the bigger route. Older grand cherokees. If they bumped....something around them and with Quadratrac they couldn’t afford the gas to go too far ;)
Last edited by demer03 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:52 am

logan2z wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 am
TSD wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
dukerules wrote:
BTDT. Our first and only lesson lasted 5 minutes and she never tried again. In retrospect a good thing. The 993 has never seen a run to Whole Foods or The Container Store ;)
Smart man. My wife would be allowed nowhere near my 993 were I to own one :lol:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 am

r.palace wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:07 am
CGSshorty wrote:Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. I've been a cop for too long and seen too many teenagers do stupid things with cars they aren't ready for. No 16 or 17 year old has the skills or maturity for a GTI (or similar).
+1
+2

Talking about getting a kid a Golf R is not smart. The priority should be getting them a safe care they can learn on, making it about what their dad wants to drive instead is a mistake.

Much as it sucks, get your son a regular golf if that's something you're thinking of. Still got all the airbags, but less likely to go as fast when he does something ill-advised.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am

I'm not sure that a base Audi or BMW is some crazy fast sports car. These aren't much if any faster than their Japanese counterparts. And no way he's getting a Golf R; these are too expensive anyway.

TSD

Post by TSD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am

logan2z wrote:
TSD wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
dukerules wrote:
My neighbor just took delivery on a Model 3. He looked terrified as his wife and her girlfriend peeled out of the driveway for a test drive. 😂

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:24 am

TSD wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am
logan2z wrote:
TSD wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
dukerules wrote:
My neighbor just took delivery on a Model 3. He looked terrified as his wife and her girlfriend peeled out of the driveway for a test drive. 😂
Man, these EVs are insane. There is something vaguely nauseating to me with all the acceleration of even a base Model 3 and none of the engine noise. Such a strange feeling to accelerate quickly in one of these things.