Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
petethegreek
Name: Pete

Re: Opinions-first car for new teen driver

Post by petethegreek » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:08 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
petethegreek wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 pm
I’m in the same situation. In PA kids get their provisional drivers license at 16.5 meaning they can drive themselves. Mine will be ready in December.

My only real concern is safety, but I’d like his first car to be a bit fun too.

I’m thinking a preowned Subaru Outback, Crosstrek or Forester. Something with a bit of size, AWD, and easy to drive. They have blue tooth, rear camera and maybe blind spot warning. Theses seem standard on the 2016’s.

The other considerations is an older Volvo. They are safe, easy to drive and we have a dealer right around the corner.

Honda CRV also made the list.
if the outback is before 2014 don't buy it. way to many headgasket issues. and it is most of them, not just a few.
Great to know. I’m looking at 2016 or 2017.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I was given my first car when I told my father I was going to buy a motorcycle.
In hindsight this was the correct move.
We had many bonding moments fixing it up.
Back then a solid car was seen as safe.
It is so much easier to learn to drive a manual when you are young

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:50 am

The upside to a manual transmission in my opinion is: 1) they are essentially a millennial theft deterrent system and 2) it forces the kid to be a bit more engaged in the act of driving so it is more challenging to put on makeup, text, or mess with the radio when driving around town.

The idea behind the small cab / limited passenger space is it limits your liability when your kids gets in an accident with their friends in the car. Plus, kids have a bit of a mob mentality. Solo, your kid could be very responsible, but add 3 or 4 fun loving friends and watch the chaos begin.

I've actually thought about taking my kid to some advanced driving classes at the local track. When I was 16, my uncle (Fed LEO) took me to an empty mall parking lot covered with snow to practice initiating and correcting slides and skids. The driving school I remember taking as a kid focused on driving skills in perfect conditions. The kids (really everyone) need to learn how to handle harsh weather conditions and the unexpected. You don't know the limits of your brakes and tires until you feel them let go.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 am

I taught myself stick and even “three on the tree” and it’s a skill I’ve been glad I had all my life. Wife too.

The girls....not so much. My oldest swears she got so mad she jumped out of my M38A1 and walked home (although I don’t remember that 😂)
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:00 am

Back in my time in Holland, stick was the norm. I think it still is. You could get lessons (and a license when you passed the exams) in matic but only middle aged women went for that option. If you got your license for a automatic car, you would not be allowed to drive a manual. If you had your 'normal' license, you were allowed to drive in automatic cars as well.
I drove 22 years with a stick before I had my first go in an automatic. Now here in Jakarta I only buy matics as it's so much more comfortable in traffic jams, in which I am stuck at least 2 hours a day and often way more.
- Mart -