Dash Cams

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Chocodove
Name: Todd

Dash Cams

Post by Chocodove » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Been meaning to get one for a while. I see too much crazy shit on the road and I don’t trust anyone to actually be honest if something happened. The choices are a bit overwhelming and reviews are all over the place. Ideally, I don’t want to have to hard wire one, but I will if that’s the way to go.

What’s the d-dub using, if anything?
- Todd

dukerules

Dash Cams

Post by dukerules » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Meant to post similar. I'm potentially in the market as well. Hooked up my radar detector to the wired rearview mirror recently, and that's been awesome, so wouldn't mind doing something similar for a dashcam.
Last edited by dukerules on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Dash Cams

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Market for these is frustrating as it seems to be dominated by unknown Asian brands and it is tough to figure out what is good. Bought one a year ago for about $120 one it started acting crazy after about 8 months. Not sure why it is so hard. They have a simple job. I have been looking for another.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

dnslater wrote:Market for these is frustrating as it seems to be dominated by unknown Asian brands and it is tough to figure out what is good. Bought one a year ago for about $120 one it started acting crazy after about 8 months. Not sure why it is so hard. They have a simple job. I have been looking for another.
Precisely what I’ve read in my research. It seems Best Buy has a few models at varying price points, so maybe best to buy at a big box type store at a premium just for the (assumed) post-sales service? I really don’t know. I’d rather not drop $100-$200+ on something that’s going to crap out in a few months and/or just be a nightmare to operate.
- Todd

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Can't recall where I saw/heard/read this a while back but are some ppl using old iphones repurposed for this? Anyway, I've thought about it as I probably have 3 or 4 old iphones I never bothered to resell/give away.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

nweash
Name: Nick

Dash Cams

Post by nweash » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 pm

My buddy did a DIY install on his Tesla. Said he loves his.

Blackvue DR750S-2CH with Power Magic Pro Hardwire Kit 2-Channel 1080P Full HD Car DVR Recorder 16GB SD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759XDG8C/re ... NBb5W1M2F9

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Can't recall where I saw/heard/read this a while back but are some ppl using old iphones repurposed for this? Anyway, I've thought about it as I probably have 3 or 4 old iphones I never bothered to resell/give away.
someone told they use a old point and shoot also for this. just put a big memory card in it.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Buddy gave me a cheap Asian one from amazon. It does everything I need and I’ve been running it 9 months so far. After one B.S. failure to stop ticket and an accident on I-5 I got one. I drive a lot of miles at all hours and wouldn’t be without one now. Not just for all the crazies but for the over zealous LE writing bad tickets etc...now if they’d just make a radar detector/dash cam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:58 am

My buddy has one mounted to his motorcycle helmet (maybe some kind of GoPro unit). I think it is designed to record a couple hours of video and then overwrite. The idea is to be able to record the events leading up to an accident I think. It is a pretty small unit, so certainly small enough to mount on a dashboard. I'll ask him about it next week.

What would be nice is a design which would record both forward video and cabin / driver's window video. This way you would have evidence for both traffic violations and subsequent interactions with people (police, witnesses, etc.).

FWIW, I am pro police dash cam and pro police body cam. They just help keep honest people honest, plus, as (I think) Mark Twain said, "a short pencil is better than a long memory".