Jeep content. New rear bumper.

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
hobbit712
Name: Steve

Jeep content. New rear bumper.

Post by hobbit712 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:00 pm

After a recent debacle in an attempt to get new wheels, I decided to use the money for a new rear bumper instead. After a few days research I decided on the EAG rear bumper from Amazon. I freely admit that my Jeep is mostly a mall queen and I don't need a extremely heavy duty bumper. A hitch is a nice touch when I need to mount a bike rack though.

The reviews were very good and most people had few to no issues installing it. I even found a YouTube video that installed it on a 2000 yellow TJ. Some of the advice he gave was very helpful.

I took his advice and drilled four additional holes in the frame to mount the bracket. While this was not a mistake it definitely added to the time of installation. The biggest problem was placing and tightening up the bolts on the left side. There is a little less space on that side than on the right side due to the frame and gas tank placement.

It took me with my large hands a bit of work to get the bolts in from the inside. Once placed it was also very difficult to tighten the bolts down especially the lower one on the left side. It's still not as tight as I would like it but since they are extra mounting point I think it will be fine.

The next problem I ran into was the holes on the tabs to mount to the frame didn't quite match up. I ended up having to drill a bigger hole on the tab to get it to fit. Kind of a pain in the rear!

All in all I like it. It just took a lot longer to get installed than some of the reviews I've seen.

A pic of the mounting bracket and the finished product

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Re: Jeep content. New rear bumper.

Post by mellonb1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Nice touch! Jeep looks great.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Why didn’t you finance the 300 LED lights, bumpers, shocks, angry headlight lids etc at time of purchase? Never gonna make it.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 am

Nice! Getting bolts to line up can be a real PITA.

I spent a ton of extra time (hous) yesterday morning remounting a skid plate under my Tacoma - a job that should've taken maybe an hour. Turns out my Toyota dealer's mechanic stripped a captive nut when they remounted a splash guard after undercoating the truck (warranty service).

Instead of retapping the nut to correct the mistake, they just drilled out the captive nut and stacked another nut above the old one.

Getting my skid plate bolt to go through the plate, the splash guard, the drilled out captive nut and catch the threads on the top nut (that I could barely hold with just my fingertips) was just about frustrating enough for me to want to pay a little visit to the dealership.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:35 am

CesarG wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Why didn’t you finance the 300 LED lights, bumpers, shocks, angry headlight lids etc at time of purchase? Never gonna make it.
Working on it! Geeezzz...one step at a time. :lol:

Going for something like this. :whistle: :whistle:

https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money