Noise Cancelling Headphones

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
zepp21
Name: Alex

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:29 am

Amazon prime day offered me a great opportunity to pick up two nice sets of headphones. With that said, I'm not an audiophile, but wanted something to commute with and listen to at work. Wireless and ANC required due to the train and ease of use.

With that said: I bought the Beats Studio 3 (gasp) and the Bose QC35.

Originally I bought the QC25 but they were backordered so I did some smooth talking with Amazon who honored the same discount rate (not dollar amount) so I got a killer deal on the QC35.

With that said, which would you chose (and you have to chose one of these). I was not a fan of the Bose at first. The sound had great clarity but lacked depth. I was also concerned that the Bose got louder but not to the point where I wanted to take them off from excessive volume. The Beats won me over at first. Sounded great and I loved the volume on them.

Fast forward and I'm second guessing the beats. The mid and highs aren't quite as high as I would like. The volume may almost be too loud as I barely keep it at 25% and it is almost too loud for work. Plus the comfort of the Bose is best in class IMO. There is about a $30 discount between the two, with the bose being less than the beats.

What would you do? I may give them both one more day and then go from my gut. I just wonder about the longevity of the beats too. I've had QC15s since they first came out and the only thing I needed to do was replace an ear pad once.

Thoughts Gents???

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am

For work, I use Bose because those are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had (QC line and now "in ears" wireless sound sports ). I have better sounding cans, but for the office, where I'll have them on for hours, comfort beats sound (plus they sound pretty good anyways).

Edit: Quality wise, the first pair of wired sounds sports I had sucked... the plastic cover on the wires came undone in a couple of months. Bose gave me a newer model and those came undone in about three years (not bad). Current wireless sound sports look great (have had them for about a year).

These puppies have more than 10 years with me. Had to buy an aftermarket cable and new ear pads, but they still sound great:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Joeprez wrote:For work, I use Bose because those are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had (QC line and now "in ears" wireless sound sports ). I have better sounding cans, but for the office, where I'll have them on for hours, comfort beats sound (plus they sound pretty good anyways).

Edit: Quality wise, the first pair of wired sounds sports I had sucked... the plastic cover on the wires came undone in a couple of months. Bose gave me a newer model and those came undone in about three years (not bad). Current wireless sound sports look great (have had them for about a year).

These puppies have more than 10 years with me. Had to buy an aftermarket cable and new ear pads, but they still sound great:

I had the QC15s years ago and they were workhorses. I want to like the beats. In fact, I do, but I'm curious as to how these would hold up in 3+ years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

I was just deciding between the QC35IIs and the Sony WH‑1000XM2 (mainly so I'm not blowing my ears out with max volume when flying), and I ended up going for the Sonys after reading a ton of reviews and trying them on in person.

Both were great, but the only reason I would have gone with the Bose was the weight/comfort. Sony had great sound, lots of configurability, and some bonus touch features. Plus I got them for $50+ cheaper than the Bose, so that pushed me over the edge.

I've only had them for a couple months, but I've been happy with them so far.
:htfu:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm

I bought the QC35II’s about 6 months ago and love them. I’ve been on 8 flights since I got them and I’ve never gotten off of flights more rested. The Sony’s get slightly better reviews for sound quality but the Bose win on comfort.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm
I bought the QC35II’s about 6 months ago and love them. I’ve been on 8 flights since I got them and I’ve never gotten off of flights more rested. The Sony’s get slightly better reviews for sound quality but the Bose win on comfort.
They work especially well on long flights with screaming babies. :grin:
:htfu:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

matt.wu wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm
They work especially well on long flights with screaming babies. :grin:
Yep - now they are seen but not heard, and neither is the drone of the engines.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 pm

I almost went for a pair of Bose onPrime day, but I saw a number of reviews saying that the newer model isn't as sturdy as the prior one (25 vs 15). Has anybody here had both, and noticed this?