Carbs & Coffee - Car Meet Photos

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
unsub073
Name: chris

Re: Carbs & Coffee - Car Meet Photos

Post by unsub073 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 am

Great pictures. The 914 was always one of my favorites.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am

Lots of eye candy there!

Learned to drive on a 67 Bug and 66 Camper.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon May 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Looks like fun.

My buddy is well known around these parts in the VW scene having been apart of it for 25yrs the area and having been featured twice in local VW magazines. If you're ever in these parts we'll have to all connect for a beer. He's had a lot of bugs and buses come and go and is currently big on the patina class, which I love, and would partake if I get bitten by the bug so-to-speak.

Here we are doing a triple engine and parts swap last month with a friend who got bitten. He has a 21window patina project in his car port as well but the one with the rack is also his:

And tagging along at a recent show with him. He's the one with the beard and the little one is my son -- he's his uncle essentially. Note Gulf blue is my favorite original VW color... If I got into the game it would be seeking one down with patina for top dollar (as if I could afford it):

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

^^^Nice and 21 windows are whack on prices these days!!!

I have a bro in Topanga that is big in the VW scene there also.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Yep. It's without a motor (now :lol: ) but the rest is sound and totally build-worthy. He wants to "do it right" which for me means it might be too valuable to keep, which is sad, but I hope he finds the time to finish the build and enjoy. He sometimes picks and sells them to keep the ball rolling with expanding his restaurants, even once to float payroll during rough patch. Life :shrug: .

I coudln't attach the video of a mint yellow Dino backing in next to the Pantera. This is Folsom, CA, in an adjacent parking lot to Intel. I call it Little Silicon valley.
Last edited by sierra11b on Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm
toxicavenger wrote:

Yep. It's without a motor (now :lol: ) but the rest is sound and totally build-worthy. He wants to "do it right" which for means it might be too valuable to keep, which is sad, but I hope he finds the time to finish the build and enjoy. He sometimes picks and sells them to keep the ball rolling with expanding his restaurants, even once to float payroll during rough patch. Life :shrug: .

I coudln't attach the video of a mint yellow Dino backing in next to the Pantera. This is Folsom, CA, in an adjacent parking lot to Intel. I call it Little Silicon valley.
I love that Pantera, I volunteered years ago to work on a buddies Pantera to change a starter. It was one of my worst experiences working on a car ever. :banghead:

Luckily VW motors are dime a dozen though. I love his patina bug.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon May 21, 2018 4:47 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm
sierra11b wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Yep. It's without a motor (now :lol: ) but the rest is sound and totally build-worthy. He wants to "do it right" which for means it might be too valuable to keep, which is sad, but I hope he finds the time to finish the build and enjoy. He sometimes picks and sells them to keep the ball rolling with expanding his restaurants, even once to float payroll during rough patch. Life :shrug: .

I love that Pantera, I volunteered years ago to work on a buddies Pantera to change a starter. It was one of my worst experiences working on a car ever. :banghead:

Try three motor swaps. We started at 2pm and ended at 2am with us grilling and enjoying the company in between for about 2hrs. It was a nightmare getting the beefed-up motor in for clearance. We should have just stripped it all down from the start but the beers likely took over. In the process we destroyed the clutch but minimized our buzz to correct the problem thanks his two other donor motors.

The main motor we swapped that day was a fully built turn key "race" motor in the 85hp range he picked-up for $800 and was worth $1500+. So there's deals to be had for sure, and can totally see the allure as a devout ex-Subaru modder. $800 for a brand new fully built motor from a respectable shop is nothing in terms of perceived value watch enjoyment.

The Pantera won the classic car category that day likely because of me lobbying for it all afternoon. And possibly because the Dino was in yellow and IMHO there's only one color for a Ferrari. He got runner-up, though. Funny how my favorite color for a Pantera is canary yellow.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:47 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Try three motor swaps. We started at 2pm and ended at 2am with us grilling and enjoying the company in between for about 2hrs. It was a nightmare getting the beefed-up motor in for clearance. We should have just stripped it all down from the start but the beers likely took over. In the process we destroyed the clutch but minimized our buzz to correct the problem thanks his two other donor motors.

The main motor we swapped that day was a fully built turn key "race" motor in the 85hp range he picked-up for $800 and was worth $1500+. So there's deals to be had for sure, and can totally see the allure as a devout ex-Subaru modder. $800 for a brand new fully built motor from a respectable shop is nothing in terms of perceived value watch enjoyment.

The Pantera won the classic car category that day likely because of me lobbying for it all afternoon. And possibly because the Dino was in yellow and IMHO there's only one color for a Ferrari. He got runner-up, though. Funny how my favorite color for a Pantera is canary yellow.

What size motor? The one on the floor looks like it uses stock heater boxes, and those things can be a total pain all by themselves. I love the 1776 as a around town motor.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:47 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

What size motor? The one on the floor looks like it uses stock heater boxes, and those things can be a total pain all by themselves. I love the 1776 as a around town motor.
Yes, the one on the floor. I was merely invited to the charade and ended up fully vested as additional backbone. Not sure the exact specs, but everything was eventually stripped and reinstalled once it cleared using floor lifts and wooden blocks.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm
Great VW site: https://www.thesamba.com
Yeah I have been on it for years, also vwvortex. :banghead:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm

The Samba is for VW's, like watchrecon is for watches! ;)
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Gorgeous pics, brother! Thanks for posting. Some great looking cars!

Re: the first pic of that ‘63 split window ‘vette: I thought Brock Yates was dead...

:D

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm
Gorgeous pics, brother! Thanks for posting. Some great looking cars!

Re: the first pic of that ‘63 split window ‘vette: I thought Brock Yates was dead...

:D
Haha...that old guy was a hoot. He also has a 56' Vette and 3 Ferraris. He said that he was retired from a career in the wine industry.
Winston Churchill.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am

Got around to really looking at the pics. So cool. I fantasized about a lot of these, mainly the 911 and the TR-6 (not pictured). A few friends had MGBs and I came close to buying an MGA years ago. The 240Z was also a looker.

How much HP are you guys getting in the modded VWs?

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 am

BlueSky wrote:Got around to really looking at the pics. So cool. I fantasized about a lot of these, mainly the 911 and the TR-6 (not pictured). A few friends had MGBs and I came close to buying an MGA years ago. The 240Z was also a looker.

How much HP are you guys getting in the modded VWs?
Porobably 90ish...
Winston Churchill.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks Dave. My VW, of course, didn't have AC and I don't remember ever getting hot. I would be sweating today without one. Youth...

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am

No heat or a/c in a 65’. It does have a factory sunroof which is nice!
Winston Churchill.