$20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5136
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

Post by dnslater » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 am

Todd, the answer to your question is actually obvious.... you know you need a Swedish car to go with your Swedish watch company.

Image


As far as wagons go, for $20k you can find relatively low mileage Volvo V60's. Not sure about the reliability but I dig the design, and the seats are some of the best in the business. Try to find a T5.
Image

I've always coveted the Polestar version, but they are a bit pricey.
Image

User avatar
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Posts: 8468
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am
Name: David
Location: NY

Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

Post by dshap » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 pm
    I have a 73 FJ40.
    Pics?
    -David

    User avatar
    four20
    Posts: 2431
    Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm
    Name: erik
    Location: Maine coast

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by four20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 am

    Pinzgauer :rock:

    Image

    User avatar
    BBK357
    Ban Jacobs
    Posts: 23912
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
    Name: Vladimir Makarov
    Location: Ohio

    $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am

    MikeyLikesIt wrote:
    SoCal C4S wrote:
    Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 pm
    MikeyLikesIt wrote:06-07 Land Cruiser/LX470
    Dude- if you find a 2006-07 Land Cruiser for $20k, please let me know.
    I bought one a few months back and they’re not really that hard to find if you’re good with 150k+ miles (which is nothing for these). Took me less than a month to find one I loved. IH8MUD classifieds is a good place to look for well cared for cruisers
    I checked auto trader and there is only 15 Land Cruisers in a 75 mile radius (so that’s all of Columbus, Dayton and most of Cincy) and the cheapest one is a 2011 with 91k miles. It’s priced at $32,995. Then it goes $45000 for a 2013 with 70k miles up to the $70000 for the newer ones.

    I would say you found a rare deal on an LC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DEATH FROM ABOVE
    :ak:

    User avatar
    SoCal C4S
    Posts: 1630
    Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am
    Name: RJ

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am

    I think he found a 2007 for under $20k. Newer ones are still pretty expensive.
    NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

    User avatar
    goaliechris
    Posts: 908
    Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm
    Name: Chris

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by goaliechris » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 am

    BBK357 wrote:
    MikeyLikesIt wrote:
    SoCal C4S wrote:
    Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 pm
    MikeyLikesIt wrote:06-07 Land Cruiser/LX470
    Dude- if you find a 2006-07 Land Cruiser for $20k, please let me know.
    I bought one a few months back and they’re not really that hard to find if you’re good with 150k+ miles (which is nothing for these). Took me less than a month to find one I loved. IH8MUD classifieds is a good place to look for well cared for cruisers
    I checked auto trader and there is only 15 Land Cruisers in a 75 mile radius (so that’s all of Columbus, Dayton and most of Cincy) and the cheapest one is a 2011 with 91k miles. It’s priced at $32,995. Then it goes $45000 for a 2013 with 70k miles up to the $70000 for the newer ones.

    I would say you found a rare deal on an LC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny - I checked Cincy too last night and there is a 2006 LC for $19.9k with 138k miles.

    Image




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    User avatar
    Bradystraps
    Posts: 1698
    Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:50 am
    Name: Todd

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by Bradystraps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am

    We already have an SUV for the family that gets 23mpg. I do need this car to get good gas mileage and another SUV is not practical for us. I should have included that in my criteria.

    I like the WRX but not sure I can pull it off for business. Unless I got the more "sedany" Limited version. The Civic Si's boyish tail lights, exhaust etc. concerns me a bit as well. But at the same time, I've had two 3 series and an A4 over the past 10 years and I'm getting a bit tired of the typical sedan thing. I can just hear my wife saying 'Mid life crisis!" though if I rolled up in a WRX. :lol:
    Image


    User avatar
    JP Chestnut
    Posts: 14949
    Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
    Name: Jacob
    Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

    Tell her “a wrx is better than an affair”.

    Is the current wrx on the previous generation platform? I know the STI is.

    User avatar
    Joeprez
    Wants to see pics of your wife
    Posts: 9977
    Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
    Name: Joe
    Location: Puerto Rico

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by Joeprez » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm

    Bradystraps wrote:
    Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am
    We already have an SUV for the family that gets 23mpg. I do need this car to get good gas mileage and another SUV is not practical for us. I should have included that in my criteria.

    I like the WRX but not sure I can pull it off for business. Unless I got the more "sedany" Limited version. The Civic Si's boyish tail lights, exhaust etc. concerns me a bit as well. But at the same time, I've had two 3 series and an A4 over the past 10 years and I'm getting a bit tired of the typical sedan thing. I can just hear my wife saying 'Mid life crisis!" though if I rolled up in a WRX. :lol:
    The sedan in a "normal" color like white or gray looks nice, just don't go with the huge wing. A whole less "racer boy" looking than the new Civic.
    Image

    Image

    Omega / Rolex / Sinn / Oris / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

    User avatar
    Bradystraps
    Posts: 1698
    Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:50 am
    Name: Todd

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by Bradystraps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 pm

    Joeprez wrote:
    Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm
    Bradystraps wrote:
    Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am
    We already have an SUV for the family that gets 23mpg. I do need this car to get good gas mileage and another SUV is not practical for us. I should have included that in my criteria.

    I like the WRX but not sure I can pull it off for business. Unless I got the more "sedany" Limited version. The Civic Si's boyish tail lights, exhaust etc. concerns me a bit as well. But at the same time, I've had two 3 series and an A4 over the past 10 years and I'm getting a bit tired of the typical sedan thing. I can just hear my wife saying 'Mid life crisis!" though if I rolled up in a WRX. :lol:
    The sedan in a "normal" color like white or gray looks nice, just don't go with the huge wing. A whole less "racer boy" looking than the new Civic.


    Yup. I'm looking at the white, silver or dark blue. And yes, definitely NO STI whale tail. :lol:
    I'd love to find with the steel colored wheels as well. A bit more refined and business-like than the gun metals.
    Image


    User avatar
    BBK357
    Ban Jacobs
    Posts: 23912
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
    Name: Vladimir Makarov
    Location: Ohio

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm

    goaliechris wrote:
    BBK357 wrote:
    MikeyLikesIt wrote:
    SoCal C4S wrote:
    Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 pm
    MikeyLikesIt wrote:06-07 Land Cruiser/LX470
    Dude- if you find a 2006-07 Land Cruiser for $20k, please let me know.
    I bought one a few months back and they’re not really that hard to find if you’re good with 150k+ miles (which is nothing for these). Took me less than a month to find one I loved. IH8MUD classifieds is a good place to look for well cared for cruisers
    I checked auto trader and there is only 15 Land Cruisers in a 75 mile radius (so that’s all of Columbus, Dayton and most of Cincy) and the cheapest one is a 2011 with 91k miles. It’s priced at $32,995. Then it goes $45000 for a 2013 with 70k miles up to the $70000 for the newer ones.

    I would say you found a rare deal on an LC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny - I checked Cincy too last night and there is a 2006 LC for $19.9k with 138k miles.

    Image




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Damn!!
    Nice

    Wish I could get it



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DEATH FROM ABOVE
    :ak:

    User avatar
    JDC222
    Demander of Intro Threads
    Posts: 13651
    Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
    Name: Dave
    Location: Canada

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by JDC222 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm

    four20 wrote:
    Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 am
    Pinzgauer :rock:

    Image
    Awesome!! :headbang:
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody that you meet.

    User avatar
    streetracer101
    Posts: 8157
    Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
    Name: Mr Shackleford

    Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

    Post by streetracer101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

    dshap wrote:
    Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am
    streetracer101 wrote:
    Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 pm
      I have a 73 FJ40.
      Pics?
      I'll snap one this weekend. It is a turd that needs a ton of work, but the body is mostly original and untouched without a lot of rust. I plan to do a rear disc conversion (front already done), clutch work and some new wheels/tires in the coming month to make it street worthy. Do you still have yours?

      User avatar
      streetracer101
      Posts: 8157
      Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
      Name: Mr Shackleford

      Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

      Post by streetracer101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm

      JP Chestnut wrote:
      Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am
      Tell her “a wrx is better than an affair”.

      Is the current wrx on the previous generation platform? I know the STI is.
      I believe it is. Either way, the styling of the rex and STI has diminished with every subsequent model. The sweet spot for that car was circa 2003. It has been down hill from there. Much like the 4runner, Subaru is in desperate need of an update to the platform of the STI, although if the Tacoma is an indication of whats to come, we might be better off using a 10 yr old platform instead.

      User avatar
      james80
      Posts: 2981
      Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:56 pm
      Name: James
      Location: A Brit lost in the Caribbean

      $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

      Post by james80 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

      streetracer101 wrote:
      JP Chestnut wrote:
      Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am
      Tell her “a wrx is better than an affair”.

      Is the current wrx on the previous generation platform? I know the STI is.
      I believe it is. Either way, the styling of the rex and STI has diminished with every subsequent model. The sweet spot for that car was circa 2003. It has been down hill from there. Much like the 4runner, Subaru is in desperate need of an update to the platform of the STI, although if the Tacoma is an indication of whats to come, we might be better off using a 10 yr old platform instead.
      2003 C Spec STI! Awesome piece of kit. The peanut eye was the best followed by the later Hawkeye. The bug eye was awful.

      Todd find yourself an Evo X, all the go of an STI with less of the Boy Racer.

      User avatar
      dshap
      Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
      Posts: 8468
      Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am
      Name: David
      Location: NY

      Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

      Post by dshap » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:50 am

      streetracer101 wrote:
      Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm
      dshap wrote:
      Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am
      streetracer101 wrote:
      Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 pm
        I have a 73 FJ40.
        Pics?
        I'll snap one this weekend. It is a turd that needs a ton of work, but the body is mostly original and untouched without a lot of rust. I plan to do a rear disc conversion (front already done), clutch work and some new wheels/tires in the coming month to make it street worthy. Do you still have yours?
        Yup, still loving it. If you're still in CT and need a FJ40 specialist, I have a good guy near New Haven.
        -David

        shaneotool
        Posts: 288
        Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm
        Name: Paul

        Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

        Post by shaneotool » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:29 am

        What about an older Infiniti G35 or G37 sedan? Those are fun to drive, reliable, and you can get a 6sp manual if you want.

        User avatar
        SoCal C4S
        Posts: 1630
        Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am
        Name: RJ

        Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

        Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 am

        I’m thinking about buying this, but it won’t be $20k...
        Image
        NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

        Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

        User avatar
        streetracer101
        Posts: 8157
        Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
        Name: Mr Shackleford

        Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

        Post by streetracer101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

        dshap wrote:
        streetracer101 wrote:
        Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm
        dshap wrote:
        Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am
        streetracer101 wrote:
        Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 pm
          I have a 73 FJ40.
          Pics?
          I'll snap one this weekend. It is a turd that needs a ton of work, but the body is mostly original and untouched without a lot of rust. I plan to do a rear disc conversion (front already done), clutch work and some new wheels/tires in the coming month to make it street worthy. Do you still have yours?
          Yup, still loving it. If you're still in CT and need a FJ40 specialist, I have a good guy near New Haven.
          Cool. I'm in Cruiser/4Runner land in Colorado now, so there is no shortage of experts in the area.

          Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


          User avatar
          gwells
          Posts: 6261
          Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
          Name: Greg
          Location: NoVA

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by gwells » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:40 pm

          SoCal C4S wrote:I’m thinking about buying this, but it won’t be $20k...
          Image
          Maybe the down payment.

          User avatar
          gwells
          Posts: 6261
          Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
          Name: Greg
          Location: NoVA

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by gwells » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm

          SoCal C4S wrote:I’m thinking about buying this, but it won’t be $20k...
          Image
          Maybe the down payment.

          User avatar
          Bradystraps
          Posts: 1698
          Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:50 am
          Name: Todd

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by Bradystraps » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm

          Met a guy today at a client that had a tuned 2018 WRX. It was sweet and he had good things to say about the car's all around performance. Gets 34mpg on highway trips cruising at 70 and said it was superb in the awful New England winter we had and is a ton of fun on dry roads.
          The white color was a beautiful pearl color.

          I'm bitten now.
          Image


          User avatar
          dnslater
          Posts: 5136
          Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
          Name: Nick
          Location: Indiana, USA

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by dnslater » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm

          Bradystraps wrote:
          Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm
          Gets 34mpg on highway trips cruising at 70
          Not a chance.

          User avatar
          SoCal C4S
          Posts: 1630
          Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am
          Name: RJ

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm

          Maybe the standard WRX, but definitely not the STi.
          NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

          Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

          User avatar
          Joeprez
          Wants to see pics of your wife
          Posts: 9977
          Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
          Name: Joe
          Location: Puerto Rico

          Re: $20,000 to spend on a second car. What do you buy?

          Post by Joeprez » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

          SoCal C4S wrote:Maybe the standard WRX, but definitely not the STi.
          Not even that one, I believe the advertised highway mpg is 28.

          Still I want one :)


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Image

          Image

          Omega / Rolex / Sinn / Oris / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

          Post Reply

          Who is online

          Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests