New whip (GMC Denali)

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
shaneotool
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm
Name: Paul

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by shaneotool » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Very nice. Is that the 6.2 liter? What are you planning on doing to it?

I have a slt crew cab and it has been a good truck for me. I'm getting the itch for something different though - not sure if I really need a truck. I'm thinking about trading it in on a charger srt.

User avatar
jimyritz
Masshole
Posts: 22321
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Mike
Location: Boston

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by jimyritz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:58 am

That's a sweet looking truck-- Congrats....

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8160
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 am

Nice truck. It doesn't seem like it'll need much as far as mods. Check into the AMP steps and maybe bedliner/exhaust. I cannot imagine it'd benefit from much else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


unsub073
Posts: 1896
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 am

Congrat's on the new ride. That is sweet looking.

User avatar
zepp21
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Name: Alex
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by zepp21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:26 am

Is this with the 6.2L?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk


User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm

This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6503
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by r.palace » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 pm

bedlam wrote:This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
As with watches, buy what you like.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5449
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by Torrid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm

bedlam wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm
This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
Man it's great to haul things with and not have to wait for delivery of furniture and large items. I never would have thought I'd be a truck guy, but now that I have one I don't think I could own anything else. Fuel economy isn't the greatest when compared to cars, but even with the tech and luxury of newer trucks, the drivetrain is based on older reliable designs and I think it would be hard to find one that other than the cost of fuel would be expensive to maintain. Pretty much any truck these days has backup cameras and parking sensors too.

For me and this might actually fall into the category of needing it, but I work for the railroad and living fairly far north, snow is a concern and there really isn't an option of not making it to work. Between ground clearance and 4wd, it would take a lot for me to not make it.

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:34 am

r.palace wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 pm
bedlam wrote:This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
As with watches, buy what you like.
Well, sure. My question was why do people like them :-)

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am

Torrid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm
bedlam wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm
This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
Man it's great to haul things with and not have to wait for delivery of furniture and large items. I never would have thought I'd be a truck guy, but now that I have one I don't think I could own anything else. Fuel economy isn't the greatest when compared to cars, but even with the tech and luxury of newer trucks, the drivetrain is based on older reliable designs and I think it would be hard to find one that other than the cost of fuel would be expensive to maintain. Pretty much any truck these days has backup cameras and parking sensors too.

For me and this might actually fall into the category of needing it, but I work for the railroad and living fairly far north, snow is a concern and there really isn't an option of not making it to work. Between ground clearance and 4wd, it would take a lot for me to not make it.
Ground clearance I totally get.

For carry capacity; I just either get stuff delivered, or hire a trailer. Both are a lot less than it costs to run a truck like that.

One of my regular dive buddies runs an Isuzu D-Max that seems very capable...but has nothing like a 6L engine :shock:

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8160
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 am

Torrid wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm
This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
Man it's great to haul things with and not have to wait for delivery of furniture and large items. I never would have thought I'd be a truck guy, but now that I have one I don't think I could own anything else. Fuel economy isn't the greatest when compared to cars, but even with the tech and luxury of newer trucks, the drivetrain is based on older reliable designs and I think it would be hard to find one that other than the cost of fuel would be expensive to maintain. Pretty much any truck these days has backup cameras and parking sensors too.

For me and this might actually fall into the category of needing it, but I work for the railroad and living fairly far north, snow is a concern and there really isn't an option of not making it to work. Between ground clearance and 4wd, it would take a lot for me to not make it.
I agree that some of the bigger trucks are silly, but it doesn't stop me from wanting a 3/4 ton diesel.
I use my 1/2 ton all the time to haul home project materials and to tow toys. There are more economical vehicles, but the utility and ground clearance that my rig provides makes it worth the slightly higher fuel expense. Foreigners often don't realize that gas is super cheap in the US. Regular unleaded is only about $2.30/gallon right now and I'm in one of the more expensive areas of the country. Additionally, some of the newer diesels get 20+ mpg without a load, so they aren't much more expensive to run than a 4 door sedan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk



User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5449
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by Torrid » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:02 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am
Torrid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm
bedlam wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm
This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
Man it's great to haul things with and not have to wait for delivery of furniture and large items. I never would have thought I'd be a truck guy, but now that I have one I don't think I could own anything else. Fuel economy isn't the greatest when compared to cars, but even with the tech and luxury of newer trucks, the drivetrain is based on older reliable designs and I think it would be hard to find one that other than the cost of fuel would be expensive to maintain. Pretty much any truck these days has backup cameras and parking sensors too.

For me and this might actually fall into the category of needing it, but I work for the railroad and living fairly far north, snow is a concern and there really isn't an option of not making it to work. Between ground clearance and 4wd, it would take a lot for me to not make it.
Ground clearance I totally get.

For carry capacity; I just either get stuff delivered, or hire a trailer. Both are a lot less than it costs to run a truck like that.

One of my regular dive buddies runs an Isuzu D-Max that seems very capable...but has nothing like a 6L engine :shock:
True, the capacity isn’t always needed, but I actually end up hauling a large amount of stuff for the house every couple of weeks. Plus I have a 4 door, so I can bring the whole family for these trips.

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6503
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by r.palace » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 am

streetracer101 wrote:Additionally, some of the newer diesels get 20+ mpg without a load, so they aren't much more expensive to run than a 4 door sedan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
This.

My V6 Accord's MPG is much closer to my brother in law's F250 diesel than Honda would like you to know
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2645
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am
Torrid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm
bedlam wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 pm
This truck thing Americans have...don't really get it.

Unless you need it for work or to carry lots of stuff, isn't it a pain in the butt to park, expensive to run, and such?
Man it's great to haul things with and not have to wait for delivery of furniture and large items. I never would have thought I'd be a truck guy, but now that I have one I don't think I could own anything else. Fuel economy isn't the greatest when compared to cars, but even with the tech and luxury of newer trucks, the drivetrain is based on older reliable designs and I think it would be hard to find one that other than the cost of fuel would be expensive to maintain. Pretty much any truck these days has backup cameras and parking sensors too.

For me and this might actually fall into the category of needing it, but I work for the railroad and living fairly far north, snow is a concern and there really isn't an option of not making it to work. Between ground clearance and 4wd, it would take a lot for me to not make it.
Ground clearance I totally get.

For carry capacity; I just either get stuff delivered, or hire a trailer. Both are a lot less than it costs to run a truck like that.

One of my regular dive buddies runs an Isuzu D-Max that seems very capable...but has nothing like a 6L engine :shock:
I don't own a full size truck, but I do drive a Toyota Tacoma (Hilux is the designation in OZ, I think) as a daily driver.

It works for me for a number of reasons: 1) I live in a somewhat rural area where we don't have garbage pick up. Every week I take our household rubbish to the town recycling center. You could put that in the back of your SUV, but I prefer putting nasty stuff outside the people compartment.

I live near the beach and am an avid surfer (as are my kids). The Tacoma is the perfect vehicle for hauling wet, sandy surfboards, wetsuits, and beach gear between the house and ocean.

I enjoy gardening. Every spring I use the truck to haul mulch, soil, plants, etc.

Finally (and maybe most importantly) I just don't drive my personal vehicle that much. It is 7 years old and has 90K miles on it, so about 12K per year. If I drove 20K miles per year like some road warriors, I would probably look for something a bit more sporty, with more fuel economy, etc.

As my British friends would say, it is "horses for courses". For the course I'm on, a truck is a good choice.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30443
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:45 am

I believe the Hilux is smaller than the Tacoma.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
zepp21
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Name: Alex
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by zepp21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Why do I drive a truck? I don't think many people would like to sit in a deer blood stained seat. Nor do I want to scrape it off the trunk or have people who do not like hunting seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk


User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm

zepp21 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 pm
Why do I drive a truck? I don't think many people would like to sit in a deer blood stained seat. Nor do I want to scrape it off the trunk or have people who do not like hunting seeing it.
We have a winner :-)

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:04 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 am
Additionally, some of the newer diesels get 20+ mpg without a load, so they aren't much more expensive to run than a 4 door sedan.
Surprised to think a 2 tonne plus vehicle with a 6L engine could get 20mpg. Looking around the net real-world reports suggest on average people are getting about 14mpg.

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 am
I don't own a full size truck, but I do drive a Toyota Tacoma (Hilux is the designation in OZ, I think) as a daily driver.
The Hilux is legendary in Oz. Seems like a sweet choice, but they are still way smaller than the GMC.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8160
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

bedlam wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 am
Additionally, some of the newer diesels get 20+ mpg without a load, so they aren't much more expensive to run than a 4 door sedan.
Surprised to think a 2 tonne plus vehicle with a 6L engine could get 20mpg. Looking around the net real-world reports suggest on average people are getting about 14mpg.
From car and driver's real world testing of the 2017's:Image

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8160
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:28 pm

^ put in perspective, my wife's 2010 Mazda 3 only averaged 23 mpg and could barely hold a suitcase in the trunk. Her 2014 4runner averages 18.5, which is lower than the GMC 2500HD (my next truck) did in this test. Did I mention that in addition to these trucks being good on gas, they are also incredibly fast? The new 2500s get up to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and will do it in less than 6 seconds with a simple tune.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk






User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 6474
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I think most of the newer GMC and Chevy V8's drop down to use only 4 cylinders on the highway. Seems my friend's Denali did this, and that was even with a boat in tow.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30443
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 pm

My 310 hp V6 GMC Canyon gets 26 MPG on the highway and around 20 MPG combined. Plenty of room and all the power I need.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8160
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:51 pm

59yukon01 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think most of the newer GMC and Chevy V8's drop down to use only 4 cylinders on the highway. Seems my friend's Denali did this, and that was even with a boat in tow.
They do, but the gas engines aren't as efficient as the diesels unless they are on flat roads and empty. My '14 1500 averaged about 17 mpg before the bigger tires. Now I'm at about 15 mpg with 33's. My commute has a ton of hills, so I rarely go into V4 mode.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk



User avatar
zepp21
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm
Name: Alex
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: New whip (GMC Denali)

Post by zepp21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:00 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think most of the newer GMC and Chevy V8's drop down to use only 4 cylinders on the highway. Seems my friend's Denali did this, and that was even with a boat in tow.
They do, but the gas engines aren't as efficient as the diesels unless they are on flat roads and empty. My '14 1500 averaged about 17 mpg before the bigger tires. Now I'm at about 15 mpg with 33's. My commute has a ton of hills, so I rarely go into V4 mode.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
My 2014 Ram 1500 averaged 20MPG on the way to Ocean City, Md, 140 miles away, with a car trailer, loaded. That's both ways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests