What do you drive???

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
hobbit712
Name: Steve

Re: What do you drive???

Post by hobbit712 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:43 am

I might be trading my wife's Genesis in on Monday for one of these. :thumbsup:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:55 am

93 Turbo wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:00 am
Axelay2003 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:58 pm
Torrid wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:53 pm
ezcheese wrote:
Seriously. Once you go beyond 60k for an SUV, you should go Porsche.
Says the guy with no kids.
Word. If I'm paying more than $60k it's either American or a Land Rover. I've been in plenty of Porsches and their cars are wonderful. The SUVs are just rebadged VWs with more powerful engines. They're nice, but not exactly trucks.
It's funny you guys are discussing this. Since the birth of my daughter last month(child #4), I can no longer hold on to my favorite vehicle of all time, the Honda Element. My little brother can't wait to take it from me, :crybaby: .

I always like the boxy shape of the Element and the Land Rover LR4 ,with its 7-seat capacity, hits the spot. I'm in the middle of negotiating a slightly used 2016, LR4 HSE LUXury. 2016 is the last year production for the LR4s and they want $69k for it(19k miles) located in Texas. They are selling like hot cakes and I just missed out on one the sold for $64k with $7k miles which was located in Indiana. :cussing: Both are certified used with 100k miles or 6yr warranty through Land Rover dealerships nationwide.

Here is the one that I'm considering, but not for $69k. I'm still waiting for the agent's response as we have been communicating via email. He might have been off today and this one may already have sold by the time he responds to me tomorrow.

Hey G love the look of the Discovery both inside & out, as you have stated make sure it has a extended warranty, drive that thing like it's stolen right up until the day prior to the warranty expiring, then sell it. If only LR had the reliability of Toyota. Hence why I bought a Land Cruiser Prado here in Aus. Good luck mate with the new ride and enjoy. Jules
I stopped by a Toyota dealership yesterday and asked to see the Land Cruiser. They had none on premises. Fully loaded retail is $89k and they are definitely a beast. I'm tempted. Reliability is definitely there, but aesthetically, the Land Rover wins for me.

There are a number of LR4 HSE LUX trim models on the second market, but not sold through certified Land Rover dealerships. 100k miles or 6-yr warranty is a must when purchasing a Land Rover, IMO.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 am

nweash wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 pm
My parents just got the new Escalade XL. sticker was 93k. I think they paid 83k after incentives. Features are insane.

I
I
Heads up display
I
Rear view mirror is a camera.

Center console has a secret cubby with USB. You have to rub the bottom metal piece and it opens up.

I barely got to test drive the thing before they drove it from CA to IOWA.

Grear car, however I still prefer my Lexus for quality and aesthetic reasons.
Lol, our first house was $99,000 in 1994
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:34 am

hobbit712 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:43 am
As much as I miss the Jeep and it's individuality....I can't see myself going back from a full size truck now.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:30 am

Torrid wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:53 pm
ezcheese wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:32 am
streetracer101 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:12 pm
shaneotool wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:22 pm
shaneotool wrote:I drive this truck. I'd like to have something fun to drive too, but i can really only afford one car at a time.

Truck prices are no joke today. A moderately equipped V8 gas 1500 will easily run into the upper 40s. Make the switch to diesel and you can easily get into 60k without blinking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yes - it is BS. SUV's are even worse. My wife want a full size SUV and those are ridiculously expensive. Like 50k with cloth seats..

You can get a hell of a nice car for the price of a ho-hum suv or truck...
My wife has requested a Denali XL for her next vehicle. Price is insane.
I'd tell my wife to eat a d if she wanted one of those. None of the trucks or SUVs are worth their asking price. I don't understand where people get the coin to buy these new vehicles.

This reminds me of comments from a friend after he looked at new Escalades. He owned one about 10-15 years ago, but took one look at $90k and walked away.
Seriously. Once you go beyond 60k for an SUV, you should go Porsche.
Says the guy with no kids.
Word. If I'm paying more than $60k it's either American or a Land Rover. I've been in plenty of Porsches and their cars are wonderful. The SUVs are just rebadged VWs with more powerful engines. They're nice, but not exactly trucks.
That they are!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:01 am

demer03 wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
As much as I miss the Jeep and it's individuality....I can't see myself going back from a full size truck now.
I nearly bought a full size, but I really have no need for one. My GMC Canyon cost significantly less and gets amazing gas mileage. It's nearly as large as a full size truck from a few generations back and can tow and haul anything I'd ever need it to. The only real downside is rear seat room, which is just fine for my young kids. I'll be ready for something bigger when they outgrow it, anyway.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 am

i'm with chris. my 10 yr old frontier was the "small" version (vs the titan) and it does pretty much everything i need and tows 5k Lbs. and plenty big enough for my monster dog in the back seat. and it was significantly larger than the old version of the frontier (2007 model vs the previous one up thru 2004). small trucks today are like mid-size 10-15 years ago.

for all the convo above about how expensive pickups are, the flipside is they don't plummet in value the same way a car does. my wife's volvo had a sticker price $10k above mine when she bought it and it was only a couple of years before my truck was worth more on the resale market.

granted, it was 10 years ago now, but i thought about buying a 1-2 yr old truck to avoid the quick depreciation. then i realized there hardly was any and that i was only saving a few percent over brand new. wasn't worth it.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:15 pm

The new Canyon is hot. I had a frontier for a hot second. Fantastic build, quality and attention to detail...but rear seating wasn't enough for work.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:35 pm

demer03 wrote:The new Canyon is hot. I had a frontier for a hot second. Fantastic build, quality and attention to detail...but rear seating wasn't enough for work.
The rear of the Canyon is fine for short trips with adults. More than enough room for children or dogs. The front is very comfortable even for my XXL frame.
David St. Hubbins

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:53 pm

demer03 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:15 pm
The new Canyon is hot. I had a frontier for a hot second. Fantastic build, quality and attention to detail...but rear seating wasn't enough for work.
i can understand that. it's not super spacious. but you're right about build and quality. i've been really happy with it from that perspective.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:42 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:01 am
demer03 wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
I nearly bought a full size, but I really have no need for one. My GMC Canyon cost significantly less and gets amazing gas mileage. It's nearly as large as a full size truck from a few generations back and can tow and haul anything I'd ever need it to. The only real downside is rear seat room, which is just fine for my young kids. I'll be ready for something bigger when they outgrow it, anyway.

Pretty much my reasoning. I need this to replace the 10 Honda Pilot. I need the space for 2 growing kids. Plus I need something that wont give me a little tickle in the back of my mind that something will go wrong in the middle of the night on the way to the cabin in NC. Pilot has almost 120k and still runs like a top but.....

I just put $1000 for a new timing belt tensioner. :scream:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:46 pm

hobbit712 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
demer03 wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:

Pretty much my reasoning. I need this to replace the 10 Honda Pilot. I need the space for 2 growing kids. Plus I need something that wont give me a little tickle in the back of my mind that something will go wrong in the middle of the night on the way to the cabin in NC. Pilot has almost 120k and still runs like a top but.....

The old Honda is probably more reliable than the new Chevy.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:48 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
demer03 wrote:
hobbit712 wrote:

The old Honda is probably more reliable than the new Chevy.
I've been driving GMC's for a long time without a single issue.
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:02 pm

demer03 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 am
My first house in 2004 was 99k.

I am not paying over 30k for anything. I will stick with used.

Axelay2003

Post by Axelay2003 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Our 2007 Honda Pilot had over 164K miles when we traded it in for a new 2016 Honda Odyssey. We had a good run with the pilot, but we just needed more room with our growing family(three kids at the time).

Chocodove
Name: Todd

What do you drive???

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:43 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
:1: My watch/vehicle value ratio is completely screwed. If it can get me from point a to point b (particularly in a mountain snowstorm), fit all the crap I need, and survive for a long time with minimal maintenance = winner to me.

- Todd

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:02 pm
demer03 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 am
My first house in 2004 was 99k.

Your house is probably worth 250k now. 2004 was a long time ago and everything is more expensive. That said, I do agree that new car prices are nuts. I cannot imagine buying a new vehicle today. They dump 30-50% in value in 3 yrs.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:48 pm

nweash wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 pm
My parents just got the new Escalade XL. sticker was 93k. I think they paid 83k after incentives. Features are insane.

I
I
Heads up display
I
Rear view mirror is a camera.

Center console has a secret cubby with USB. You have to rub the bottom metal piece and it opens up.

I barely got to test drive the thing before they drove it from CA to IOWA.

Grear car, however I still prefer my Lexus for quality and aesthetic reasons.
It better have a happy ending machine for that kind of coin.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:34 pm

That Escalade price is insane! My first starter home was $40K in 1986. Although at the time I had a $30K Wellcraft parked in the driveway. In 2001 my Yukon SLT brand new was $37K, so I won't be buying another one brand new with the prices they're at nowadays. One reason I still have it with 222K miles. GMC definitely has me sold on reliability though. Been a great truck, but things are starting to wear out.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Chocodove wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
:1: My watch/vehicle value ratio is completely screwed. If it can get me from point a to point b (particularly in a mountain snowstorm), fit all the crap I need, and survive for a long time with minimal maintenance = winner to me.

You're a lesbian like me!

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:36 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

You're a lesbian like me!
:thumbsup: :gayumbrella:
- Todd

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am
I also don't understand what people need gigantic cars for (unless one has cattle / boats to tow / more than 3 kids), they are impossible to park (not an issue everywhere) and are as gas efficient as one would imagine looking at them.
Large vehicles have their place - my wife drives a minivan and the space is certainly nice - but we both fight over my Golf based GTI on the weekends for the reasons you mentioned. We drove it across town this morning with three 10-12 year olds comfortably in the back and their legs weren't even touching. It is a small car by American standards and yet four adults fit very comfortably. Ironically in Europe it is considered a mid sized family car while here it is dwarfed by everything on the road.

Axelay2003

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:15 pm

There are also crazy drivers here in FL, especially on I-4 and I-75. There's not a day we travel to Disney where it is accident free. Being in a large, well built vehicle gives me a peace of mind when I drive with my wife and four babies, or when my wife drives our little boys to and from school. People texting while driving is a game changer for me so unfortunately that is also one of the reasons for getting a larger vehicle. :shrug:

dukerules

What do you drive???

Post by dukerules » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Next year, my trusty Lexus IS350 will be 10 years old. I should keep driving it, as I think it's just getting broken in, but I'm bored of it. Thinking hard about a Cayman or Merc AMG C63. Does anyone have thoughts on modern Mercedes reliability?

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Safety is also a reason I really like Subarus. There are always at the top of the crash test ratings for all of their cars. My main goal on the road is always defense, especially with the morons on the road here in NJ. I mostly hate driving due to the other people on the road. It seems like paying attention and actually driving is way down the priority scale for a lot of people.
- Todd