Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Posts: 9803
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:16 pm
Name: Michael

Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by Sidheguitarist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:15 am

For some reason, this 1/4-mile drag race day clip cracked me up; especially the attitudes of each rider pre-launch; pretty much exactly what you’d expect to see stereotyping guys who buy both types of bikes.

Victory highball bobber with apes and a loud pipe one one side, and a stretched Suzuki GSXR on the other. When your kid asks what the diff is between torque and HP, this will do it: the start and finish tells the story better than any dissertation:






https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeaxyhMSvFA
darkness season

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 29339
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am

GSXR guy can’t ride for shit. That bike is easily in the low 10s or high 9s with a competent rider.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am

CGSshorty wrote:GSXR guy can’t ride for shit. That bike is easily in the low 10s or high 9s with a competent rider.
Funny video and yes, good way of demonstrating HP v TQ.
We don't know the elevation of the track, weight of the rider(s) or track temp. I can tell you that at elevation, an 11 sec qtr mile on a gsxr isn't bad. I've read that we lose as much 30+% horsepower in CO, and my M3 tends to agree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Posts: 9803
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:16 pm
Name: Michael

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by Sidheguitarist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am
GSXR guy can’t ride for shit. That bike is easily in the low 10s or high 9s with a competent rider.
Conversely, biker dude wearing jeans, shades and an open face lid on a track day did alright: 12.6-sec 105+ runs on any 670-700lb iron pig v-twin is respectable. He pretty much wrung whatever his bike was capable of doing out of that wrist twist.
darkness season

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 29339
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

streetracer101 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:GSXR guy can’t ride for shit. That bike is easily in the low 10s or high 9s with a competent rider.
Funny video and yes, good way of demonstrating HP v TQ.
We don't know the elevation of the track, weight of the rider(s) or track temp. I can tell you that at elevation, an 11 sec qtr mile on a gsxr isn't bad. I've read that we lose as much 30+% horsepower in CO, and my M3 tends to agree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Very true. I’ve never lived more than about two feet above seal level, so I forget about that.
Even still, his launch was awful.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 am

CGSshorty wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:GSXR guy can’t ride for shit. That bike is easily in the low 10s or high 9s with a competent rider.
Funny video and yes, good way of demonstrating HP v TQ.
We don't know the elevation of the track, weight of the rider(s) or track temp. I can tell you that at elevation, an 11 sec qtr mile on a gsxr isn't bad. I've read that we lose as much 30+% horsepower in CO, and my M3 tends to agree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Very true. I’ve never lived more than about two feet above seal level, so I forget about that.
Even still, his launch was awful.
The launch is made worse following the burnout session. That was silly.
Either way, superbikes aren't made to drag race. They're made for going fast around corners. Folks who stretch them are silly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Erratic101
Posts: 1840
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 am
Name: Justyn

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I agree with pretty much everything said. Gsxr rider can't ride for shit, elevation can play a roll, but in this instance would effect both riders. Which means again the gsxr guy sucks. Also I don't think any track here in Colorado would let you on without a full suit and full face helmet.

Side note: Rob, I just realized I missed your last trip out here. Sorry man. It totally slipped my mind. Let me know when you're out again.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 7845
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Erratic101 wrote:I agree with pretty much everything said. Gsxr rider can't ride for shit, elevation can play a roll, but in this instance would effect both riders. Which means again the gsxr guy sucks. Also I don't think any track here in Colorado would let you on without a full suit and full face helmet.

Side note: Rob, I just realized I missed your last trip out here. Sorry man. It totally slipped my mind. Let me know when you're out again.
Np. I was pretty busy. Next time bud.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 am
Name: Danny

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by Danny_T » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Dude that Suzuki left the Bucket like a kid on a trike!! LoL. That video showed zero comparison of tq vs hp lol. That chopper had neither !

Shorty is right that driver on the gsxr was brutal.
Image

User avatar
Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 am
Name: Danny

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by Danny_T » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 29339
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Torque vs horsepower: 1 moving picture = 1k words...

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I’m 270 lbs and I could have milked a 10.2 out of that bike.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests