Sonos?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Sonos?

Post by andrema » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 am

We're moving into a new house next week and I am thinking of changing my TV theater sound to a Sonos wireless system. My current system is all Bose and will be going down into the basement playroom for my kids to use, so I was thinking of going with something different.

From what I have read, they are pretty user friendly, upgradable and can be easily used with other devices. Do any of you fine folks have experience with these or have any input?

I am specifically looking at the 5.1 system right now: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/products/wir ... me-theater

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Sonos?

Post by ericf4 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am

I use Sonos and love them. I have play 1s around the house. I will also buy more Sonos for the newly built basement. Haven't used the 5.1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:50 am

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am
I use Sonos and love them. I have play 1s around the house. I will also buy more Sonos for the newly built basement. Haven't used the 5.1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The 5.1 includes two Play 1's, a Playbar and a subwoofer. What I like about it is that it connects wirelessly, so very little work for setup.

What I was also considering is adding a couple of Play 1's in other parts of the house. From what I read, you can select a speaker to play specific content on. Pretty cool IMO.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 am

yes you can pipe music to any room/speaker and control each separately, its great/ Plus brings in all music on your pc and all music from streaming sources like spotify etc. Its like magic...music anywhere...I will likely buy a PLaybase for the basement with surrounds and a Sub.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am

We have Sonos for our home. The house is wired with speakers all over (not sonos speakers) and then hooked up to a sonos system. It's nice because I can control everything with my phone and select which speakers I want to use (when wired correctly). The sonos system is very user friendly and easy to use.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm

they work pretty well and are indeed very easy to set up.
my in-laws recently installed a 3 x 2 channel system for their pool. one amp runs a pair of speakers on the front of the pool house, the second powers a pair off the back deck, and the third powers a pair down by the pool.
you can independently control the volume for each set, combine them in groups to match volumes, etc., which makes it easy to please all the "pool factions". louder out back by the grill, a little lower by the bar stools where people may be chatting, and quieter still by the pool where folks may be trying to nap. then at night after the inlaws go out, all the way up on all three for the secretly planned pool party.
my phone reconnects automatically whenever i'm in range, no matter how long since last paired, which to me is a very user friendly feature. overall, i think the software is great, and keeps getting better with each iteration.
they're also looking at adding a few more modules for the ability to link systems wirelessly in their home and carriage house to be able to stream the same content on the whole property for big parties, etc.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Sonos is great, diy solution. It is not the cheapest way and their speakers needed power which will limit your replacement. If you were happy with the sound of the Bose then these will be on par

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Our last two houses have been wired with Sonos. I'd recommend it and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm

I've also heard great thIngs about Sonos, and its ease of use. I was considering the Sonos Connect, so I could use my existing stereo components, but investigated other options when I saw the price tag. I ended up buying a Raspberry Pi, and use it with Kodi. Under $100 to be up and running if you have an HDMI receiver. I bought a second one, with an IQ Audio DAC, for a second system. The downside is that I would only recommend it for folks who approach it as a DIY project.
Last edited by gonzomantis on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Double post.

:angryfire:

foodle

Post by foodle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Sonos is user friendly, works well, and easy to setup. However, for the sound you get, it's quite expensive. You can get a lot better sound for less money if you're willing to run wire. Sound bars don't give you the best sound (issues with stereo separation and quality of speakers, since they are small). You can get much better sound with a center channel and left/right fronts for the same money. The rear surround speakers are usually the one that cause issues with wiring.

Depending on what the rest of your system looks like, you may also want to look into the Denon HEOS system for a similar "wireless" speaker system.