New Bike Help

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
zepp21
Name: Alex

New Bike Help

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:49 pm

After riding 48 miles in the past two days, the time has come to finally buy a decent bike. GF and I rented from a local Trek shop (I had a FX3, I believe). I've been toying with the idea of trying to build my own, something of a hybrid. Mainly paved trails and roads with the occasional trail or winter ride (possibly). Is it easier at this point to just buy my own, and make sure it's done right, or should I learn all the inner workings and build my first? I've toyed with the idea of a SS, maybe something along the lines of a Karate Monkey. I find the idea thrilling, but maybe not so much in reality? Any help is appreciated! Budget: Under 1K built, possibly slightly over if I build my own since I can buy parts here and there and don't need to lump in one payment.

Ps, the local craigslist has a SS Karate Monkey right now for $700 OBO, seem legit?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik ... 27045.html

Side note: Saddle...need a good one too after those last 10 miles KILLED :gayumbrella:

zepp21

Re: New Bike Help

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Oh, and if anyone has any ideas for her, which will be paved trails, some light gravel trails, and road use only, that would be killer.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Sounds like we want the exact same bike. Karate Monkey is the closest I can find pre built.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Also have to consider if you want straight bars or drops... if you go drops maybe Kona Sutra or Salsa Vaya or Surly Straggler. Some of the bikes termed "gravel" are nice for multi use.

Surly ECR, Troll and Ogre along with the Karate Monkey .... and I think Moloko or Jones bars can be added.

Right now I ride a Surly Wednesday..... I can go 4" tires for winter on 26 rims. I can also ride 27.5 or 29's with much thinner tires.... I ride trails, pavement, gravel, snow..... I can also tour as the Surly has a lot of braze ons.....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks! Would building on be difficult? Any specialty tools required? That KM has been haunting my dreams. Not sure if the price is decent but man oh man. I guess I need go decide SS or geared first.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm

If you aren't an experienced rider, I wouldn't recommend SS as a primary bike. Yes, it's cool and low maintenance, but you'll really limit yourself.

Once you have experience and strength, you will know what you can and cannot tackle with SS and plan accordingly.

You'll be surprised how even slight inclines around town become annoying over time on a single speed.
:htfu:

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm

matt.wu wrote:If you aren't an experienced rider, I wouldn't recommend SS as a primary bike. Yes, it's cool and low maintenance, but you'll really limit yourself.

Once you have experience and strength, you will know what you can and cannot tackle with SS and plan accordingly.

You'll be surprised how even slight inclines around town become annoying over time on a single speed.
Thanks Matt! Now I guess the question is, build or buy and which models to consider. Would swapping out the SS on that KM be too difficult or is it best to start elsewhere and find a KM at a different time?

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 pm

zepp21 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 pm
Thanks! Would building on be difficult? Any specialty tools required? That KM has been haunting my dreams. Not sure if the price is decent but man oh man. I guess I need go decide SS or geared first.

It'll cost you a lot of money unless you're a bike tech with tools. You'd probably in the neighborhood of $300 to run the brake/shifter cables, size a chain, install the cranks and tune the bike. Heck, I think my local shops charge more than $100 now just for a standard tue-up.
I second looking at gravel bikes. This is a decent starter bike: https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/ ... aanjo-comp

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:00 pm

This bike has zero snob appeal, but it's fun as hell to ride and it won't break the bank. My wife's going to buy one soon to replace her ancient, hand-me-down mountain bike.

The 1 x 8 drive train should provide more than enough ratios for day-to-day riding.

I don't think I'd take it out on single tracks, but it'll probably be fine on unimproved roads.

Raleigh Redux 1

I just bought a low-end, hard-tail mountain bike sight unseen. It hasn't arrived yet, but I"ll update with my impressions when it does.

Diamondback Hook

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Interesting fellas! Thanks for all of the help. I guess the easiest thing will be to find a shop with multiple brands and try a few out. See what I like. What I don't.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am

zepp21 wrote:

where do you live Alex?

stop in and talk to a shop guy : http://surlybikes.com/index.php/dealers/region/PA

I don;t think building is difficult, but it isn't easy either.... and some of the LBS are good people and great to deal with
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:35 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
zepp21 wrote:

where do you live Alex?

stop in and talk to a shop guy : http://surlybikes.com/index.php/dealers/region/PA

I don;t think building is difficult, but it isn't easy either.... and some of the LBS are good people and great to deal with
Suburbs of Philadelphia! I'll definitely check out that bike place!

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 am

Quick update; I narrowed the search down to the Salsa Vaya X9, which is from 2016, after visiting the local bike shop. The LBS had a few, which they recommended for an all around bike. Tried 54 and it was slightly too small so they had a 55 which was perfect.

Took it out yesterday and it was a blast to ride. 12 miles and I can tell this bike is exactly what I wanted. It's a bit heavy being an all steel frame and fork but I'm not looking for speed...yet.

All in package with the "buritto" pack under the seat (tube, pump, patch kit, tire lever), helmet, and a bit of lube for the chain, came right under 2k. If anyone local wants the shop name, drop me a line, but it's nice saving the 6% sales tax when you can go across the border to DE.Image

pete2528ca

Post by pete2528ca » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:30 am

That Salsa is a nice bike for sure.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am

A cross bike is a good choice. I frequently wish I had one.