RIP Chester Bennington (Linkin Park singer)

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: RIP Chester Bennington (Linkin Park singer)

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:47 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:27 am
It seems pretty typical for many to label the act of taking one's life as selfish. I likely have also said it at some point. I wonder though how true it really is. I've never had baggage like being molested as a kid, leading to drug problems, mental issues etc later. I have to think that when unspeakable things like that happen to a person, that shit doesn't just go away with age.

It's also easy to say those people should get help. Again, I'm not sure it's that easy. Easy to say for people arm chair quarterbacking it, but maybe not as easy for the person effected.

Life has to be pretty bad for a person to feel the only way for relief is to not be on the earth anymore. They know what they are walking away from, family, friends, loved ones. I can't imagine that's an easy decision for them. They may feel that rather than selfish, it's selfless as often suicidal people feel that the world is a better place without them and the issues they may inflict on loved ones around them.

Just saying it's easy to dismiss as selfish pussies or the like, but my guess is that you don't know shit about it unless it happened to you. My 2 cents.

As high as suicide rates are globally, I'd be shocked if statistically a few here at DWC have not attempted or contemplated it.

http://www.livescience.com/44615-suicide-help.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You get a lot of shit around here, most of it well deserved, and while I know JP disagrees with your assessment, I think you hit a few points that are spot on. I'll likely end up eating my words of praise at some point, so just try to wait a while before you stick your foot back in your mouth, ok? :lol:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm

BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
It seems pretty typical for many to label the act of taking one's life as selfish. I likely have also said it at some point. I wonder though how true it really is. I've never had baggage like being molested as a kid, leading to drug problems, mental issues etc later. I have to think that when unspeakable things like that happen to a person, that shit doesn't just go away with age.

It's also easy to say those people should get help. Again, I'm not sure it's that easy. Easy to say for people arm chair quarterbacking it, but maybe not as easy for the person effected.

Life has to be pretty bad for a person to feel the only way for relief is to not be on the earth anymore. They know what they are walking away from, family, friends, loved ones. I can't imagine that's an easy decision for them. They may feel that rather than selfish, it's selfless as often suicidal people feel that the world is a better place without them and the issues they may inflict on loved ones around them.

Just saying it's easy to dismiss as selfish pussies or the like, but my guess is that you don't know shit about it unless it happened to you. My 2 cents.

As high as suicide rates are globally, I'd be shocked if statistically a few here at DWC have not attempted or contemplated it.

You get a lot of shit around here, most of it well deserved, and while I know JP disagrees with your assessment, I think you hit a few points that are spot on. I'll likely end up eating my words of praise at some point, so just try to wait a while before you stick your foot back in your mouth, ok? Image
I only get shit from those that have mental problems, self esteem issues or that drink too much. There, is that better?

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm
BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:

You get a lot of shit around here, most of it well deserved, and while I know JP disagrees with your assessment, I think you hit a few points that are spot on. I'll likely end up eating my words of praise at some point, so just try to wait a while before you stick your foot back in your mouth, ok? Image
I only get shit from those that have mental problems or that drink too much. There, is that better?

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

ericf4 wrote:
BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:

I only get shit from those that have mental problems, self esteem issues or that drink too much. There, is that better?

Well, I could very well fit into 2 of those categories at some point so you may be onto something. :bird:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:15 pm

BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:

Well, I could very well fit into 2 of those categories at some point so you may be onto something. :bird:
Lol that was actually funny. That's once in a row for you.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Oh, look at you on a roll and shit. Remember what I said about foot and mouth disease? :nutkick:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:20 pm

BSears wrote:Oh, look at you on a roll and shit. Remember what I said about foot and mouth disease? :nutkick:

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Fuckin lame to make fun to this shit. Damm, did y'alls first girl friend break up with you at a LP concert. At the very least there are only 48% of us that pay taxes and we just lost one of us

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm

For crying out loud. RIP what ever. The only reason it's news is he had some good albums/music etc etc. The people this hurts would be his family / children. The rest of us so fricking what no more albums. Get over it.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:10 pm

gamecock111 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm
Fuckin lame to make fun to this shit. Damm, did y'alls first girl friend break up with you at a LP concert. At the very least there are only 48% of us that pay taxes and we just lost one of us
unixshrk wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm
For crying out loud. RIP what ever. The only reason it's news is he had some good albums/music etc etc. The people this hurts would be his family / children. The rest of us so fricking what no more albums. Get over it.
:thumbsup:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

BSears wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:22 pm
I'm in the middle of this one.
Selfish? yes. Did he really want to kill himself? Of course not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Admittedly, I've not read the story yet, but what do you mean by "he didn't want to kill himself"?? Are you saying it was an accident?

I think it goes without saying that anyone contemplating or carrying out suicide have either drug problems or severe mental health issues. Often, though not usually, it's carried out on a whim or in a fit of rage. The underlying mental health issue of depression is far too underdiagnosed or, rather, untreated. And I don't mean pumping SSRIs into every person that gets down from time to time. But severe depression, the kind that follows a person for 10, 15, 20+ years is the real problem. In my humble opinion of course. Do they have to have had a troubled childhood? No. Do they have to be carrying mental scars of physical, mental, or sexual abuse? No. Sometimes it's chemical. Sometimes the wiring is all fucked up.

What I'm saying is close to what Eric already stated, which is scary.

When I first started at my hospital, I worked in a different unit and I took care of some kids who survived their attempts. I also know of a couple kids, 11 and 13, who killed themselves in my town because of being bullied. Because of this, no matter who does it, I don't find suicide funny. It's sad for everyone involved.
Physical or mental trauma, internal "wiring" issues like Brad said, depression, anxiety, drug abuse... multiple reasons why people do it and it all comes down to mental health- which is incredibly underfunded and misunderstood.
For instance, my father in law (who's pretty educated) used to say people who take medication for depression or who have depression and anxiety are weak, and it's simply mind over matter. He was very vocal about this until the past couple years he started having panic attacks. His tune has changed.

Do I care that Chester committed suicide? No, not really. In high school I bought a burned version of their first album from a friend. And I did just hear him recently on my Steve Aoki album. I didn't know him so it didn't bother me.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 pm

BBK357 wrote:
BSears wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:22 pm
I'm in the middle of this one.
Selfish? yes. Did he really want to kill himself? Of course not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Admittedly, I've not read the story yet, but what do you mean by "he didn't want to kill himself"?? Are you saying it was an accident?

I think it goes without saying that anyone contemplating or carrying out suicide have either drug problems or severe mental health issues. Often, though not usually, it's carried out on a whim or in a fit of rage. The underlying mental health issue of depression is far too underdiagnosed or, rather, untreated. And I don't mean pumping SSRIs into every person that gets down from time to time. But severe depression, the kind that follows a person for 10, 15, 20+ years is the real problem. In my humble opinion of course. Do they have to have had a troubled childhood? No. Do they have to be carrying mental scars of physical, mental, or sexual abuse? No. Sometimes it's chemical. Sometimes the wiring is all fucked up.

What I'm saying is close to what Eric already stated, which is scary.

When I first started at my hospital, I worked in a different unit and I took care of some kids who survived their attempts. I also know of a couple kids, 11 and 13, who killed themselves in my town because of being bullied. Because of this, no matter who does it, I don't find suicide funny. It's sad for everyone involved.
Physical or mental trauma, internal "wiring" issues like Brad said, depression, anxiety, drug abuse... multiple reasons why people do it and it all comes down to mental health- which is incredibly underfunded and misunderstood.
For instance, my father in law (who's pretty educated) used to say people who take medication for depression or who have depression and anxiety are weak, and it's simply mind over matter. He was very vocal about this until the past couple years he started having panic attacks. His tune has changed.

Do I care that Chester committed suicide? No, not really. In high school I bought a burned version of their first album from a friend. And I did just hear him recently on my Steve Aoki album. I didn't know him so it didn't bother me.
Scary Indeed....let's not make it a habit Ben.... :)

That said, it's not about the fact that this or Cornell were celebrities, but rather that when suicide is your best option at relief for you and those around you, that's not a joking matter. Nor is it one that's dismissed by some passing keyboard commando tough guy quip. That just makes the person saying it look even more like a dipshit neandrathal. Further, I'm guessing one that likely can't establish normal human relationships and have healthy boundaries. I have had a few instances where people have taken their lives that I knew and it always ends the same way. It's tragic for all involved and to say the dead were pussies or selfish if even more insane than the actual act.

I often wonder when I read stuff like some of those remarks whether it's the keyboard talking or that the author really could hold those feelings, especially if it were a friend or relative that committed an act like suicide. Would the dead still be a selfish pussy if it were your brother, cousin, friend, neighbor?

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 pm

ericf4 wrote:Would the dead still be a selfish pussy if it were your brother, cousin, friend, neighbor?

If she/he had a spouse and kids that financially and/or emotionally depended on them, yes.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I do feel bad about the six kids he abandoned.
The Hapa

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

This thread is too heavy for me. I'm gonna be me and let others be them - in whatever way they want. So much less stressful

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Good philosophy

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Edit: too graphic

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:04 am

I guess I have less blame for the suicidal person as they are suffering from mental illness. I have more blame for the spouse, band mates, and anyone else in this guy's circle who watched him self-medicate on illegal drugs and alcohol and did nothing.

In this particular instance, this person had the means to afford any treatment necessary. Others aren't so fortunate.

I can't help but think there was a "don't mess with the goose who is laying the golden eggs" mentality going on, causing people to ignore warning signs.