Any M3 owners here?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Any M3 owners here?

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 am

I am considering an e46 version and wondered if anyone here has experience with these? Especially interested in the reliability of using as an everyday ride.

Thank you! :cheers:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Any M3 owners here?

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am

I have a 2001 M3. It's a great car if maintained and alot of the reliability concerns are over blown. I just drove it 2k miles without any issues.

Ensure that the rod bearing recall is done, there are no old stored vanos codes in the system (or vanos issues), have the subframe checked, and stay away from the SMG tranny.

They are great cars, but keep in mind they started at 56k when new and some optioned examples approached $70k in the early 2000s. Anticipate some proportional expenses. For example, it costs me $80 to change the oil myself, but I get apx 7500 miles on an oil change.

Try to get a maintained example. A low mileage one should cost about $15k or more. If not, be weary. If possible, get a 2003.5 or newer. They have factory strut bars, led taillights, and an upgraded radio to name a few updates. They also had the right bearing issue sorted by the time they were released. There's tons of info on m3forum.net. look at the buyers threads.

Here's mine:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by streetracer101 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 am

There are some really good resources out there on what to look for when buying used. Also plenty of forums on this:

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-affor ... 1593133171

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real- ... 1646249663

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/6-month-o ... 1662448468

A couple of used BMW ownership basics that I would tell anyone looking to purchase a 10-15 year old example.

1. Learn to do your own wrenching for the small stuff
2. Develop a relationship with an independent mechanical that is experienced on BMW maintenance. You will save a ton over dealerships for minor and major repairs.
3. Pay for a pre-purchase inspection with said BMW mechanic to get a rundown of possible issues with the car and look for codes+. Best money you will spend.

Good luck. Great cars, just have an "involved" ownership experience. You will need to just plan a budget around repairs/maintenance. I don't own one, but have considered it a time or two...... For now I will stick with my more practical GTI.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:35 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am
I have a 2001 M3. It's a great car if maintained and alot of the reliability concerns are over blown. I just drove it 2k miles without any issues.

Ensure that the rod bearing recall is done, there are no old stored vanos codes in the system (or vanos issues), have the subframe checked, and stay away from the SMG tranny.

They are great cars, but keep in mind they started at 56k when new and some optioned examples approached $70k in the early 2000s. Anticipate some correlational expenses. For example, it costs me $80 to change the oil myself, but I get apx 7500 miles on an oil change.

Try to get a maintained example. A low mileage one should cost about $15k or more. If not, be weary. If possible, get a 2003.5 or newer. They have factory sway bars, led taillights, and an upgraded radio to name a few updates. They also had the right bearing issue sorted by the time they were released. There's tons of info on m3forum.net. look at the buyers threads.

Here's mine:

Lovely car you have there! Great color. :thumbsup:

Is it your daily driver? I am focusing on 03/04's and trying to find one with less than 50K on it. Just not sure how practical it is and not sure I can afford it as a second car and have a main one for business travel etc.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 am

Bradystraps wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

They are great cars, but keep in mind they started at 56k when new and some optioned examples approached $70k in the early 2000s. Anticipate some correlational expenses. For example, it costs me $80 to change the oil myself, but I get apx 7500 miles on an oil change.

Try to get a maintained example. A low mileage one should cost about $15k or more. If not, be weary. If possible, get a 2003.5 or newer. They have factory sway bars, led taillights, and an upgraded radio to name a few updates. They also had the right bearing issue sorted by the time they were released. There's tons of info on m3forum.net. look at the buyers threads.

Here's mine:

Lovely car you have there! Great color. Image

Is it your daily driver? I am focusing on 03/04's and trying to find one with less than 50K on it. Just not sure how practical it is and not sure I can afford it as a second car and have a main one for business travel etc.
People daily them, but I'd never spend the premium for a super low mileage example and then do that. Keep in mind most of these are close to 15 yrs old now so it'll take a while to track down really low miles like that and you will probably in the 20k range. I think under 100k is a better odometer good.

I'd also say it is impractical to daily one anywhere that the temp gets close to freezing. Mine has summer tires, so when temps drop enough for them to salt the roads, it goes away for a few months.

To echo the above, I wouldn't own one unless you feel comfortable wrenching or a have a very trustworthy indie shop. Anticipate some expensive services and maintenance regardless. While the pre-purchase inspection is good advice, know they will probably miss stuff. Mine had several issues they missed.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 am
Bradystraps wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Here's mine:

Lovely car you have there! Great color. Image

People daily them, but I'd never spend the premium for a super low mileage example and then do that. Keep in mind most of these are close to 15 yrs old now so it'll take a while to track down really low miles like that and you will probably in the 20k range. I think under 100k is a better odometer good.

I'd also say it is impractical to daily one anywhere that the temp gets close to freezing. Mine has summer tires, so when temps drop enough for them to salt the roads, it goes away for a few months.

To echo the above, I wouldn't own one unless you feel comfortable wrenching or a have a very trustworthy indie shop. Anticipate some expensive services and maintenance regardless. While the pre-purchase inspection is good advice, know they will probably miss stuff. Mine had several issues they missed.

Sound advice. Perhaps one with higher miles that has been immaculately maintained at a lower price is the way to go and I will use it as a couple-times-a-week car until the weather gets cold and then store it.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 am

dnslater wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 am
There are some really good resources out there on what to look for when buying used. Also plenty of forums on this:

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-affor ... 1593133171

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real- ... 1646249663

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/6-month-o ... 1662448468

A couple of used BMW ownership basics that I would tell anyone looking to purchase a 10-15 year old example.

1. Learn to do your own wrenching for the small stuff
2. Develop a relationship with an independent mechanical that is experienced on BMW maintenance. You will save a ton over dealerships for minor and major repairs.
3. Pay for a pre-purchase inspection with said BMW mechanic to get a rundown of possible issues with the car and look for codes+. Best money you will spend.

Good luck. Great cars, just have an "involved" ownership experience. You will need to just plan a budget around repairs/maintenance. I don't own one, but have considered it a time or two...... For now I will stick with my more practical GTI.

Good stuff, Nick. Many thanks! :cheers:

A lot of research to do. Should be fun. :thumbsup:

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Quick photo of mine, never left me on the side of the road, but expect to pay about $2k a year in maintenance and repairs ($9k spent in the 5 years I've had it). Worth every penny imo!

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm

djh1201 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm
Quick photo of mine, never left me on the side of the road, but expect to pay about $2k a year in maintenance and repairs ($9k spent in the 5 years I've had it). Worth every penny imo!

That's pretty accurate, although it'll vary based on mileage. I haven't put anything into mine in a year, but in the first 2 years I replaced everything in the cooling system but the radiator, all belts/tensioners, the FCABs, RCABs, springs, shocks, several interior switches, radio head unit, all speakers, the entire interior (gray to black), some trim, fuel pump, wheels and tires to name a few. All that's left is to install of the Beisan system vanos lock-down, valves, a couple performance mods (I want to go cat-less headers and re-tune) and a re-spray because I am an anal SOB. Did I mention these can be a far bigger money pit than watches? :grin: Right now I am struggling with the decision to continue to update the E46 or sell it and add $15k for a clean 997 4S targa.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm
in the first 2 years I replaced everything in the cooling system but the radiator, all belts/tensioners, the FCABs, RCABs, springs, shocks, several interior switches, radio head unit, all speakers, the entire interior (gray to black), some trim, fuel pump, wheels and tires to name a few.

:shifty:

:grin:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 pm

dnslater wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
in the first 2 years I replaced everything in the cooling system but the radiator, all belts/tensioners, the FCABs, RCABs, springs, shocks, several interior switches, radio head unit, all speakers, the entire interior (gray to black), some trim, fuel pump, wheels and tires to name a few.

Yeah. I knew it had some issues going in, but the inspection and the sole owner didn't reveal everything. It's pretty much sorted now, but scary thing is it came with a stack of about $20k worth of service receipts :lol: I'd never buy a Bavarian car without service receipts because they can get expensive quick.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 pm
dnslater wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Yeah. I knew it had some issues going in, but the inspection and the sole owner didn't reveal everything. It's pretty much sorted now, but scary thing is it came with a stack of about $20k worth of service receipts :lol: I'd never buy a Bavarian car without service receipts because they can get expensive quick.

My A4 is "at that point". :rolleyes:

A lot going wrong all at once and time to find something newer. And it won't be another Audi. :lol:
The missus wants a Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. The problem is she also wants beige leather, panoramic roof and bigger wheels combo. Almost impossible to find Certified Preowned.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Bradystraps wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Yeah. I knew it had some issues going in, but the inspection and the sole owner didn't reveal everything. It's pretty much sorted now, but scary thing is it came with a stack of about $20k worth of service receipts Image I'd never buy a Bavarian car without service receipts because they can get expensive quick.

A lot going wrong all at once and time to find something newer. And it won't be another Audi. Image
The missus wants a Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. The problem is she also wants beige leather, panoramic roof and bigger wheels combo. Almost impossible to find Certified Preowned.
Used car buying is so much more difficult than going new. I must've looked at 20 4runners last month before we settled on a CPO model. It would've been nice to just go in and pick a color, but then I would've doled out another $10k.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:31 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm
Bradystraps wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Yeah. I knew it had some issues going in, but the inspection and the sole owner didn't reveal everything. It's pretty much sorted now, but scary thing is it came with a stack of about $20k worth of service receipts Image I'd never buy a Bavarian car without service receipts because they can get expensive quick.

A lot going wrong all at once and time to find something newer. And it won't be another Audi. Image
Used car buying is so much more difficult than going new. I must've looked at 20 4runners last month before we settled on a CPO model. It would've been nice to just go in and pick a color, but then I would've doled out another $10k.

Bingo. Same boat. I've spent hours and hours looking already and have a buddy at a dealer scouring the auctions etc. You can get decent value with an off-lease CPO so it's worth the effort IMO.

djh1201

Post by djh1201 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:44 pm

streetracer101 wrote:

That's pretty accurate, although it'll vary based on mileage. I haven't put anything into mine in a year, but in the first 2 years I replaced everything in the cooling system but the radiator, all belts/tensioners, the FCABs, RCABs, springs, shocks, several interior switches, radio head unit, all speakers, the entire interior (gray to black), some trim, fuel pump, wheels and tires to name a few. All that's left is to install of the Beisan system vanos lock-down, valves, a couple performance mods (I want to go cat-less headers and re-tune) and a re-spray because I am an anal SOB. Did I mention these can be a far bigger money pit than watches? :grin: Right now I am struggling with the decision to continue to update the E46 or sell it and add $15k for a clean 997 4S targa.
What, you haven't done the subframe yet? Another $1.5k easy...

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:14 pm

djh1201 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:44 pm
streetracer101 wrote:

I realize that there was/is an issue, but I think it's been over blown..like the Vanos. Plus, a botched subframe reinforcement will cause more issues than an untouched one with no obvious damage. Mines been inspected in and out and no obvious cracks. I am not going to poke that skunk seeing how I don't track it, although I have considered the foam on many occasions. Honestly, thinking about the money for the subframe and Beisan Vanos "fix" is what gives me pause about just flipping it for a newer rig. Aside from the 996, I've also had E92 M3 on the brain for a while.

Still interested in an E46 M3 Todd? :lol:

djh1201

Post by djh1201 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:14 pm
djh1201 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

I realize that there was/is an issue, but I think it's been over blown..like the Vanos. Plus, a botched subframe reinforcement will cause more issues than an untouched one with no obvious damage. Mines been inspected in and out and no obvious cracks. I am not going to poke that skunk seeing how I don't track it, although I have considered the foam on many occasions. Honestly, thinking about the money for the subframe and Beisan Vanos "fix" is what gives me pause about just flipping it for a newer rig. Aside from the 996, I've also had E92 M3 on the brain for a while.

Issues really been cropping up more, guys have been posting photos on E46 M3 Owners Club Group on Facebook that are scary! Glad I had mine fixed years ago.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
djh1201 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Ehhhhhhhhh....... ummmmmmmmm.............. :think:

:lol:

BTW...... E92. My buddy is about to graduate to one as well. :cheers:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 pm

djh1201 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
djh1201 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Issues really been cropping up more, guys have been posting photos on E46 M3 Owners Club Group on Facebook that are scary! Glad I had mine fixed years ago.
I thought the vert had a more stout subframe and didn't need addressing. There are some crazy pics out there, but if you do a search for used cars on ebay, you'll find plenty of E46 M3s without the vanos or subframes addressed with 150k + miles still running along. That's not to say they don't have a pending issue, but it does show that the average Joe won't experience a catastrophic failure like the fora display online.

djh1201

Post by djh1201 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:40 am

Issue is cropping up in the Vert as well. I've done the Vanos, subframe, pretty much everything you've mentioned, have about $30k in the car. Still worth about $16k after 5 years and 50k miles so reasonably affordable for such a fun vehicle to drive.

E92 isn't an upgrade, just faster in a straight line. If that's what you are looking for go buy a Mustang GT...

Mine's my daily driver, don't see myself selling anytime soon. If I do I'll probably be looking at a Porsche as well.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 am

You know 6 months ago I would have said just go for it, but looking at the comments of all the things that need done it reminds me all too well of my Jaguars. I think the main thing was that no matter how well I maintained them which was meticulously I always dreaded a long trip. Sure they were comfortable and at the time I could think of no place I'd rather be, but I always had that sick feeling that this will be the trip that something catastrophically fails and I'll be standing on the side of the road with my family asking why I felt the need to buy such ridiculous cars. It's a possible issue with all older cars though with higher end cars these issues are more costly and sometimes unusual.

There is something about being a car guy though and you know when you find one. We tend to throw caution to the wind for the thrill of ownership. In high school I tried to buy a Maserati Biturbo. I almost bought a Boxster before the GTO but couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't a 911 so the GTO won out. I once considered selling my 2004 GTO to pick up a used Aston Martin DB7.

Ive never had a normal vehicle until now. Driving a new F150 just seems to blend in and I'm not used to that. It's new and that warranty piece of mind is much more comforting than I expected.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I've had 3 Bimmers including an e46 M3 and I gotta say you guys are brave to own a German vehicle outside of warranty or at least CPO warranty. All 3 had issues from brand new and on. The last one was an e90 335i and the HPFP was a nightmare. But even little things were annoying like a window weather strip falling on my lap to which my SA proclaimed that I roll down my window too much - really?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm
I've had 3 Bimmers including an e46 M3 and I gotta say you guys are brave to own a German vehicle outside of warranty or at least CPO warranty. All 3 had issues from brand new and on. The last one was an e90 335i and the HPFP was a nightmare. But even little things were annoying like a window weather strip falling on my lap to which my SA proclaimed that I roll down my window too much - really?
I guess I've been lucky with my E46 330i (ok, not quite an M3 but it does have a bunch of M badges slapped on it :) ). I bought it new for my wife in 2001 and it's currently sitting at 186K miles with the only ''major' repair being a transmission rebuild at about 175K. I use it as my DD while the P-cars sit safely in the garage away from the crazy Bay Area drivers, waiting for weekend duty ;)

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm
To be fair, a lot of the "issues" with my car would need to be addressed with any car that is 15 yrs old with near 100k miles. Is the average Accord owner going to care about worn motor mounts or suspension bushings? No, but a lot of the things I have done to my car are for piece of mind and to keep it performing like it should. Any car is expensive to own and maintain for optimum performance per factory recommendations. Older cars just have the added issue of expensive replacement parts. Heck, the oil change on my GMC Sierra costs me $110 now and I had a Subaru that needed the entire steering rack replaced ($1200 at 55k mi) because it had a worn bushing that wasn't replaceable..car maintenance is expensive unless you DIY.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:55 pm

I diy a lot on my older LX (Land Cruiser), change oil, fluids, brakes, grease driveshaft, etc. But it's been rock solid otherwise. Bimmers had problem that I couldn't fix myself