New MTB recommendation

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

New MTB recommendation

Post by Joeprez » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Looking for a new MTB, as I'm planning to leave the old (but still awesome) Trek 4500 at my inlaws house. I've been mountain biking on and off for the past 15 years, but unlike watches, I've never been interested on knowing about all the new models and new components coming out... I just like to ride. My 4500 has been upgraded, but it was a one time thing and I haven't changed anything in it, besides tires and grips for the last 5 years. So I need the help of any mtb nut here that is more knowledgeable of the new stuff.

So, not a lot of ADs in Puerto Rico, but I do have two good ones; one carries Trek and the other carries Specialized and Cannondale. I went to the Trek dealer interested in the X-caliber line, but the salesperson sold me on getting a Superfly, as it has a better frame and similar components to the ones on my old Trek (mix of shimano LX and XT), thus more upgradable in the future, which I like. The Superfly bikes I saw were really nice and I'm fine with the around $1,500 price point. So here comes the question, what Specialized and Cannondale models are comparables to the Superfly? I've read good thing about the Superfly, anyone has any experience with it?

Looking to buy new only.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: New MTB recommendation

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:47 pm

pm sent

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Giant makes a nice bike at that price.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:15 pm

I got our son a Superfly because it's so damn sweet. I've never outgrown my old M800, and the Superfly reminds me of that Cannondale.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:16 pm

toxicavenger wrote:pm sent
:thumbsup:
JP Chestnut wrote:Giant makes a nice bike at that price.
Apparently there is a dealer in Puerto Rico, I'll check them out. Any recommendation on a Giant hardtail?
TSD wrote:I got our son a Superfly because it's so damn sweet. I've never outgrown my old M800, and the Superfly reminds me of that Cannondale.
They are very nice, plus Trek already announced the 2017 models so it would be sweet to snag a 2016 cheaper.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:40 pm

I'm a fan of Surly. Old school steel frames. Check out the Instigator 2.0. No dealers near you, but if you are interested, let me know.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Which Superfly are you looking at?

Have you looked at Airborne? Mail order but higher level components for a lower price when compared to Trek etc. I don't have one but have read good things and will consider one when I replace my Scott.

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Superfly is great. I've had a couple. In fact about to sell a superfly ss in carbon, if you're interested.

I would definitely get 29 or a plus size tire. They make such a huge difference over the 26". Would look at a 16 model to save money. Some good deals should be coming up soon. I think most new models hit in September, at least in the states

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:10 pm

greenlightning wrote:Superfly is great. I've had a couple. In fact about to sell a superfly ss in carbon, if you're interested.

I would definitely get 29 or a plus size tire. They make such a huge difference over the 26". Would look at a 16 model to save money. Some good deals should be coming up soon. I think most new models hit in September, at least in the states

I've also got a superfly carbon that I need to sell, but I imagine shipping to PR would kill it.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:21 pm

I bought the entry level Superfly 5 earlier this summer, it's a fun bike. I had one major wreck on it that put me in the ER but the bike faired way better than I did. I have no complaints other than wanting a full suspension now.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:32 pm

If I could do it over again I would have spent a little more and bought the Diamondback Sync'r Pro instead. Under 2k on amazon.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mounta ... -syncr-pro

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:54 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
greenlightning wrote:Superfly is great. I've had a couple. In fact about to sell a superfly ss in carbon, if you're interested.

I've also got a superfly carbon that I need to sell, but I imagine shipping to PR would kill it.
True. Packing and shipping a bike is expensive and pain in the ass, already.
How have you liked the bike?

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:24 am

Thanks for the responses.

And yes, I can't order a bike by mail because the shipping would kill me, but I appreciate all the recommendations :thumbsup:

The plan is to get a 2016 model next between August and September, just when the shops are trying to make room for the 2017 stuff.

Haven't check the differences between the Superfly models, but even the entry level one looked good. Of course I can increase the budget a little if it makes sense.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:24 am

apnk wrote:If I could do it over again I would have spent a little more and bought the Diamondback Sync'r Pro instead. Under 2k on amazon.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mounta ... -syncr-pro
Hot!

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:29 am

only accurate watches are interesting

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:51 am

when shipping look at bikeflight.com I have mentoned this before but no one pays attention :smack:

Joe -- when you check the 29ers also check the 650b and Plus models..... bigger tires. I rode a 29er for a while and decided to switch up. I went the direction of a fatbike so I can ride more months out of the year.

that being said I bought a Surly Wednesday on the used market

Lots of good deals on used bikes..... check Facebook groups and pinkbike.com

look at the Trek Stache when you compare Treks..... Specialized Fuse..... and Cannondale Beast of the East....
bigger stores like Nashbar, PErformance and Backcountry might ship to PR.... maybe even Bikesdirect. that opens up brands like CHarge, DB, Santa Cruz, etc

"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:04 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtbpuertorico/

have a look here Joe --- >> the odd thing about people selling bikes: these guys think they should be getting close to msrp for a used bike. makes me scratch my head.

also -- make sure to have one of the shops verify your frame size.... I went to 2-3 shops and they told me I should ride a Medium.... of course that's what they had on the floor... in reality a Small is better for me for a few reasons (bike type, type of riding, possible winter riding, frame geometry, etc)
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks John, will check bikeflight.com and the bike recommendations tonight.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:11 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:when shipping look at bikeflight.com I have mentoned this before but no one pays attention :smack:

Joe -- when you check the 29ers also check the 650b and Plus models..... bigger tires. I rode a 29er for a while and decided to switch up. I went the direction of a fatbike so I can ride more months out of the year.

that being said I bought a Surly Wednesday on the used market

Lots of good deals on used bikes..... check Facebook groups and pinkbike.com

look at the Trek Stache when you compare Treks..... Specialized Fuse..... and Cannondale Beast of the East....
bigger stores like Nashbar, PErformance and Backcountry might ship to PR.... maybe even Bikesdirect. that opens up brands like CHarge, DB, Santa Cruz, etc

I have a Surly Karate Monkey. It's a stout singlespeed.
only accurate watches are interesting

stumpy1972
Perfectly Bent
Name: Dan

Post by stumpy1972 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I'm a fan of Surly. Old school steel frames. Check out the Instigator 2.0. No dealers near you, but if you are interested, let me know.
:thumbsup: I ride an older Karate Monkey! :cheers:

Joe,

I've always had the USA made Cannondales in the past and had good luck with them, but not sure if they are even making any frames in the US anymore and not sure of their current quality. I do remember Cannondale always had a lesser grade of components than the comparably priced Trek or Specialized because of the frame quality was supposed to be better.

I'm still a big fan of plain old chromoly steel frames, rapid fire shifting and front suspension only! I do believe the disc brakes are a great advancement vs the old cants or liner pull brakes. I guess I still follow the KISS principle. Keep it simple.... :)

Edit: Always wanted one of these back in the day..... Bridgestone MB0....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Henry Ford

"Surely not EVERYBODY was Kung Fu fighting." -Unknown

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:05 pm

stumpy1972 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:I'm a fan of Surly. Old school steel frames. Check out the Instigator 2.0. No dealers near you, but if you are interested, let me know.

Joe,

I've always had the USA made Cannondales in the past and had good luck with them, but not sure if they are even making any frames in the US anymore and not sure of their current quality. I do remember Cannondale always had a lesser grade of components than the comparably priced Trek or Specialized because of the frame quality was supposed to be better.

I'm still a big fan of plain old chromoly steel frames, rapid fire shifting and front suspension only! I do believe the disc brakes are a great advancement vs the old cants or liner pull brakes. I guess I still follow the KISS principle. Keep it simple.... :)
Yeap, big fan of the KISS principle. I don't even mind V-brakes, but if I can replace brake pads on my car, I'm sure I'll be able to service disk brakes on a bike.

I got a little more information on the Specialized and Cannondale models and these are the ones that are on my budget (the second one on each brand is supposed to be a step up):

Specialized: Rockhopper or Epic Hardtail
Cannondale: Trail 1 or FSi 3

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:02 pm

greenlightning wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

I have what little bit of time I've spent on the saddle. The plan is to eventually sell it and the road bike and buy a nice cyclocross rig...then upgrade the AM bike to a Yeti 650b.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:17 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
greenlightning wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

I have what little bit of time I've spent on the saddle. The plan is to eventually sell it and the road bike and buy a nice cyclocross rig...then upgrade the AM bike to a Yeti 650b.
Salsa dropped a deal today. Buy a Bucksaw and they give you a Vaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:41 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
greenlightning wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

Salsa dropped a deal today. Buy a Bucksaw and they give you a Vaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty cool, but I had a fatbike and it did nothing for me.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:16 pm

stumpy1972 wrote:

Joe,

Edit: Always wanted one of these back in the day..... Bridgestone MB0....
That is a actually a MB-1, they had lugged and tig frames. I had 3 MB-Zips back in the day because the frame kept breaking on them, they were super thin and wouldn't take a ton of abuse (rumor had it is when they were tig welded the tubes were so thin they actually became brittle). I worked at a bike shop in Alaska and they helped me with the warranties every time. I still have the Mavic thumb shifter's and hubs from the last one I had. I ended up get a Fat Chance and then a custom local made one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.