VW TDI owners - VW Management puckering up a bit...

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
bigolac
Name: Adam

VW TDI owners - VW Management puckering up a bit...

Post by bigolac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:23 pm

As a proud owner of two tdi's (99 Beetle and 09 JSW), I am more than a little miffed at the latest news this weekend:

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?doc ... JABAVM0V73

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/busin ... -news&_r=0

Basically, VW hacked their ecu to provide a clean emissions test when tested, when the truth was something else.

VW has admitted fault. Not sure what the outcome will be, but assuming not much, other than a fine.

A stop sale order has been issued on all 2009+ TDIs. 2016 Passat TDI has been temporarily stopped, and all 2016 TDI imports are being held at port until further notice.

Fortunately there are no emission tests where I live, so I may end up gutting the emission system altogether (which wouldn't be my first choice). Really stupid, VW.

Glad I've still got my 99 Beetle to be proud of - 265k on the clock and still going strong. I'll be rolling coal in that bitch for a good while.... ;)

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Re: VW TDI owners - VW Management puckering up a bit...

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:53 pm

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 am

I'm currently in LA visiting with my sis. Her new car?

Yup, it's a TDI (her third, no less). Needless to say, she ain't too pleased about this development. Pity, too, because these are great cars – roomy, comfortable, practical, good pickup/handing, 600+ miles on a tank... Ultimately, it's just a software issue, but it remains to be seen just what sorta hit the performance and economy's gonna take when the cheat is removed.

Way to go, VW. You stepped in it BIG TIME.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:05 am

I've really liked the idea of clean burning diesel passenger cars. One of the nicest sales-guy "business" cars I've ever used was a Mercedes diesel sedan. It wasn't quick, but it rolled on the highway, was quiet, and got nearly 700 miles to the tank. The engine was pretty bullet proof, using dual timing chains (not belts) and filters that looked like they ought to be installed in a Kenworth, not a sedan.

I was a bit annoyed with VW prior to this news more due to their maintenance / serviceability than their MPG. My friend bought several VW Jetta TDI's for his fleet only to learn that there is an emissions filter in the exhaust that fails at about 150K miles. The filter cannot be replaced independently (according to our local dealer) and results in a $3,000 exhaust replacement. The filter clogging does not impact performance, but it does set off an idiot light on the dash and ECU, so the car will not pass state inspection.

His sales guys put 60K a year on the cars, so every three years he is looking at a $3K repair. This offsets any savings gained by the use of the diesel engine.

Needless to say, the VW's are all gone. I think he bought Toyota Highlanders for the guys now.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:18 am

My wife and I love our 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. My wife drives about 25,000 miles/year and it gets better mileage than her previous Civic Hybrid while being far more fun to drive and having the space of a mid-size SUV. Disappointing news to say the least. When they do the recall I will definitely sit back and see what kind of performance/mileage hit they take before I bring mine in. Might avoid it all together. No state inspection here in IN. The PR hit here is going to be massive for VW.

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:19 am

Interesting to see how how VW will be treated after GM has been knowingly killing people (100+ ?) and skated by with a fine....

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:17 am

In California, the "smog test" is pretty much a tech making sure there are no error codes. There is no sniffer test.

This cracked me up:
The software was designed to conceal the cars’ emission of the pollutant nitrogen oxide, which contributes to the creation of ozone and smog. The pollutants are linked to a range of health problems, including asthma attacks, other respiratory diseases and premature death.
Scary.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 am

CesarG wrote:In California, the "smog test" is pretty much a tech making sure there are no error codes. There is no sniffer test.
That's only true for model years 2000 and later.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 am

My initial reaction is frustration. In reality, I am happy with our TDI Jetta, so I'll wait and see how this plays out. Like Nick, maybe I'll pass on the recall.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:07 am

Major losses mounting.

VW chief under fire after emissions scandal and stock slide (from @AP) http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap. ... 335cdaa165
only accurate watches are interesting

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:54 am

Cheap VW diesels in the near future maybe ? :love:
WTF

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:06 am

Regardless of emissions crap, the TDI is a great engine.

My ex bought a 2013 Beetle TDI and it's fantastic.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 am

As an aside, another guitarist in my town figured out that a TDI engine with a manual was a drop in in his 1974 280SL merc. Everyone needs a classic 2 seat convertible thats reliable and gets hybrid-like MPGs for summer commuting...

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:46 am

Strange.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm

VW just halted all North American sales of new TDi cars, so maybe the value of my 2013 just went up, since you can't get them new. Also, value is high because it is from my personal collection.......

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:00 pm

i guess they figured nobody would ever notice.

bigolac
Name: Adam

Post by bigolac » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I've really liked the idea of clean burning diesel passenger cars. One of the nicest sales-guy "business" cars I've ever used was a Mercedes diesel sedan. It wasn't quick, but it rolled on the highway, was quiet, and got nearly 700 miles to the tank. The engine was pretty bullet proof, using dual timing chains (not belts) and filters that looked like they ought to be installed in a Kenworth, not a sedan.

I was a bit annoyed with VW prior to this news more due to their maintenance / serviceability than their MPG. My friend bought several VW Jetta TDI's for his fleet only to learn that there is an emissions filter in the exhaust that fails at about 150K miles. The filter cannot be replaced independently (according to our local dealer) and results in a $3,000 exhaust replacement. The filter clogging does not impact performance, but it does set off an idiot light on the dash and ECU, so the car will not pass state inspection.

His sales guys put 60K a year on the cars, so every three years he is looking at a $3K repair. This offsets any savings gained by the use of the diesel engine.

Needless to say, the VW's are all gone. I think he bought Toyota Highlanders for the guys now.
My wagon just threw that code last week. :scream:

From what little I've read, you're right - it doesn't affect performance - it just won't pass inspection. I'll live with a little piece of black tape positioned JUST so...

I would expect this to be litigated out for the next couple of years or so, although the idea of new cars not being sold and being held at port would be troublesome to VW, you would think.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 pm

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-u-s-ceo- ... 1732165830 (yeah, i know, jalopnik)

Volkswagen U.S. CEO: 'We Screwed Up' And 'Will Pay What We Have To Pay'

Speaking just before the unveiling of the 2016 Volkswagen Passat at an event in New York, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America Michael Horn made a short statement on Volkswagen’s recent diesel cheating scandal: “Our company was dishonest; we screwed up.”

Horn said the ongoing Dieselgate scandal was “completely inconsistent with our core values,” and, “We need to make it right with all of you.”

Horn finished his statement with “We will correct this TDI issue. We will straighten this out. We will pay what we have to pay.”

Horn’s statements, and the quagmire around it, will easily eclipse what was planned for weeks to be the unveiling of the refreshed Passat, complete with a big party and a performance by Lenny Kravitz. Understandably, the mood at the event is quite different from what VW had in mind, and we’ll have more on that tomorrow.

To recap, Volkswagen and Audi face a maximum fine of $18 billion, including the possibility of pending criminal charges and being subject to Congressional hearings, as well as the company’s market value plummeting almost 20 percent following news of the scandal.

The issue affects almost 500,000 diesel offering from Volkswagen and Audi in the U.S. with the 2.0-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder engine. Models were fitted with “a sophisticated software algorithm” that would adjust the emissions during EPA testing, and did not reflect actual normal driving conditions.

As our own Matt Hardigree points out this may only be the beginning. Things are about to get a lot worse for Volkswagen Group.

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Need a V10 tdi Treg asap!
Image Image

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Perfect time to buy one.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:49 am

fastward wrote:Perfect time to buy one.
My thoughts exactly :shifty:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:09 am

I just read that VW got busted for a similar EPA-evasion scandal back in 1973. They were fined $120,000 and promised to never let it happen again.

At least we now know that "never" = 42 years.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 am

r.palace wrote:
fastward wrote:Perfect time to buy one.
My thoughts exactly :shifty:
Except you can't buy a new one now. All sales are frozen.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:32 am

But with the negative PR, they should be a little more flexible on pricing overall.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:18 am

Dealers must be thrilled with the sales freeze. They are stuck with existing inventory.
only accurate watches are interesting