The Mini Cooper gets a little smaller...

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Re: The Mini Cooper gets a little smaller...

Post by hazmatman » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:17 pm

SCM64 wrote:That sounds like a good plan to get you through winter. Glad to hear you are back in action and the new additions arrived safely. :cheers:
Oh yes, I finally have my precious...your DS GMT and Jason's Legend Diver. I love it when a plan comes together. :dance:

Tomorrow I gotta begin haggling with the car guy, he wants WAY above KBB (like double) probably 'cause the miles are so low, but he's dreaming if he thinks I want the truck that bad.

If it's as clean as he claims, I might throw him a bit of a bone 'cause it is very close by, but I ain't gonna throw him much. It just happens to be a very clean, super-low mileage vehicle that's an almost exact match for what I have now (minus the major cancer and mechanical issues)...and it has a better motor, xfer case, etc plus all the more modern goodies my 1990 lacks...AND it's only 20 miles away. So it ends up being a plug-n-play no-brainer for me...if I get the right price.

Then we can start this whole "What new car should I get?" business all over again in February...but I think I am IN LOVE with that Challenger. I was heart-broken when they killed the Plymouth nameplate back in 2001...I was always hoping they'd resurrect the Barracuda. I drove Corvettes for years, but I just didn't feel like a Vette person...still like'em but just don't feel it right now. I also had a couple Porsches & BMWs over the years, but I am trying to spend American, if I can.

Anyway, we got the mother-in-law set up and drugged up, sleeping away, so I am off for the night. She'll be bedding down here for a few weeks which will be interesting, but you do what ya gotta do for those you love.

Just waiting for two things: (1) The first chance I get to wear my new Longines to a big Treasury meeting ('cause they all know I am a watch nut) and (2) The first chance I can sport the Divingstar on the range...so I can tell them some big BS story about how this complex timing piece will calculate my muzzle velocities. :lol:

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:50 am

I take it the XJ is decked? I hate paying extra for someone else's project, but usually the deal is so good that you can't rebuild a stocker for the same money.

I know the guy selling this one:
http://www.novajeepers.com/index.php?na ... ic&t=34235

Not quite the daily driver, but its got a lot of parts on it. He's down near me in Goochland.

If you're in DC, you can start shooting my monthly USPSA match at Fredericksburg!

S.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:48 am

What I really need now is a reliable DD, which is why I am scoping out a stock XJ. Then when I am ready to spring for the Challenger, I'll jack up this new XJ & swap over all my used & NIB Jeep gear.

Thanks for the tip, but 7.5" lift & 35" tires are a bit more than I am interested in running. I like 4-5" lift with 31-33" tires. Much more functional for me & safer for street use (lift-induced driveline vibration is rarely an issue below 4" of lift)...PLUS, that bad boy your buddy has would never make it into our parking garage. My current 4" on 31's easily fits, so I am hoping my new 4.5" lift with 32's will also clear.

Besides, I still need to make this car dealer understand, he ain't getting 10K for a 10 year old Jeep. If he cannot wrap his head around that concept, he and that Jeep will be living together for a long time...and I'll be spending my $$$ elsewhere.

mrsnak

Post by mrsnak » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Thought I'd pop in for a sec.

We have a Mini. The crash tests on these are rated pretty well. If you need to contemplate the mid-life thing (Snak is light-years beyond that) still think the Minis are the best bang for your buck for fun and handling. Otherwise, mortgage it all for a Porsche or Lambo.

I could die tomorrow, which is why I don't send my watches anywhere it will take more than a couple weeks to get fixed or wait for next year's anything.
Your Mini did fine.
WRUW today? dailywristshot.com

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Oh yeah, it could have been WAY worse and the Mini did perform well in the accident. Luckily the guy did realize I was there & applied some braking before impact or it WOULD have been worse.

It was just bad timing to have my car totaled, like there is a GOOD time for that; but, with the holidays and some family stuff going on, just another straw on the camel's back, so to speak.

I had been shopping for a replacement long before the accident, I just wasn't ready to commit...now I am forced to come up with something. The shine was off the penny for the Mini, so I was already looking elsewhere for a replacement vehicle, something with a little more testosterone. :grin:

So the current plan is to pickup a reliable daily driver which can use my current inventory of Jeep Cherokee parts while I shop for a car with a bit more muscle. :headbang:

userfriendly

Post by userfriendly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 am

--Jay--