Trailer Hitch Cargo Carriers - Anybody use these?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Chronos
Name: Jim

Re: Trailer Hitch Cargo Carriers - Anybody use these?

Post by Chronos » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 am

Great thread!

I'm looking into carrier systems for my old P38 Range Rover. We use it to haul ocean kayaks a lot. I just picked up a surf fishing license, so now we can fish, kayak, and load/unload all our goodies directly on the beach.

I love that lightweight trailer. I never considered that before.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I've been considering one of those for the Explorer. Do they have any negative effect on handling or produce tons if wind noise?
I run a Thule roof box on my Honda Pilot and have notice no increase in wind noise or adverse handling. The boxes are fairly aerodynamically designed.

One thing I would suggest is to pick a model which allows opening from both sides. I'm assuming this is a fairly common feature, but I do find it helpful so you are not over-extending to reach items. Murphy's Law dictates that the heaviest object in your roof carrier will always be on the opposite side of the vehicle.

The one thing you do need to be mindful of though is overall vehicle height while using the roof box. Parking garages are generally out of the question.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Also do some very through online searches for what others may have put on vehicles like yours. Based on Yakima guidance and using either my OEM Toyota roof bars or my current Yakima Bars, I should have been able to fit the SkyBox 12 on our Gen4 4Runner, but some vehicle models vary slightly. Our 4Runner is a Limited, and it comes with a sizeable rear spoiler. After running all the numbers with the Yakima folks, I did several online searches and could not find anyone complaining about issues with the SkyBox 12 and the Gen4 4Runner. So I ordered it.

The next day, curiosity got the better of me and I did a search for the SkyBox 16 and Gen4 4Runners, then I suddenly find a bunch of stuff about how the SkyBox 16 is about the ONLY large Yakima cargobox that will fit a Gen4 4Runner, and the Skybox 12 will not fit using factory rails or the standard Gen4 Yakima setup. The hatch will not open fully. One guy posted how you can use a Rube Goldberg setup of Gen4 4Runner Yakima RailGrabs at the rear and Gen3 4Runner Yakima Q Towers at the front to get the box far enough forward so the hatch will clear.

Well I happen to have a full set of Q Towers to fit a Gen3 4Runner but to hell with that. The last thing I need is a cargo box full of belongings winging off the top of the truck at 70+mph on RT95, so I just ordered another SkyBox, a 16 this time. Luckily I went through REI. Most online retailers wanted between $100-$160 for truck freight on these rooftop boxes, but with REI you can ship it to a store for free and you can also refuse it and cancel the order; also for no charge, no restocking fee.

The only catch, you have to pay sales tax since you are picking it up at a store. So I pay $25-30 in sales tax versus $100-160 in shipping. Easy decision. Plus the cargobox comes fully assembled. I can open the box, right there in the store, look it over, and if I don't like it, I can refuse it for a full refund. If I do like it, I get some strapping young kid to help me hoist it up on the roof and lock it down and then drive away.

The Skybox 12 shows up in College Park tomorrow and the SkyBox 16 shows up Friday. :grin: I just have to call them up tomorrow and say send it back, and they will refund me. Then Friday, I go down and pick up the one that fits.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:05 pm

BTW, this was the result…

4RunnerKayaks.jpg
NoKayaks.jpg
No adult toys this year. Not even a set of golf clubs, which worked out. The local course was closed and I had to leave the reunion early for a funeral and missed what would have been our Friday morning Golf Tournament. I don't know if they went to Keith Hills to play or if they just skipped the tourney this year. :shrug:

Next year, we obviously need a trailer or as Sheriff Brody said, "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 am

Sell me your fj.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 am

Nice. Man, those things stick out farther than it seems like they should.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 am

Seth wrote:Sell me your fj.
Wie viel für die Kinder?

ezcheese wrote:Nice. Man, those things stick out farther than it seems like they should.
It's only an issue when you back up ;)

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 am

hazmatman wrote:
Seth wrote:Sell me your fj.
Wie viel für die kinder?
If you say no, Elwood and I will come here for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day of the week...

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 am

Hey Doug, what was the model of the cargo hitch thingy you ended up getting? I'm looking at getting one for the Gen 1 highlander for a big xmas trip to the beach.

never mind i see you went with what you were originally looking at.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I got the ROLA Cargo Carrier PN 59502 ROLA Cargo Carrier Page It is rated for 600lbs, which was much more than I needed for that particular trip.

It is heavy duty (all steel) and while it comes in three pieces (even though the specs say 2 pcs), it is not really meant to be broken down and reassembled (although you could do it). Well built, you need a 2" receiver. Now ROLA makes a folding model called the Dart (PN 59550). It is made of steel, not aluminum, and only rated for 450lbs. ROLA also makes a 300lb model like the 59502 for 1 & 1/4in receivers that is good for up to 300lbs (PN 59507).

The best deal I found at the time I bought was at etrailer.com

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks for the info. I got confused looking at their hitch-to-accessory matching letter system. I had to go home last night and look at the ratings on our hitch. It's a Reese and it's rated for 350lbs tongue and 3500 towing with a 2x2 box. I'll take a look.

I do like one of the rola cargo bags I saw on amazon yesterday.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 am

Going with this.
terry_is_my_boyfriend.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:59 am

Copycat :raised:

It was a good stepup. NOTE: The bag does not quite utilize the entire space of the cargo carrier, even if it is packed (hich is hard to tell in my photos) - which kinda blows. So depending on the bulk of the gear you plan to haul back there, be sure to test pack it a couple ways to see how it will work best, and if it does all fit, leave anything that does not need all-weather and road grime protection outside the bag - you will still have some room on the carrier.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 am

Let you do all the work and then just swoop in and benefit from it? Check! :grin:

Yeah, I noticed the dimensions of the bag are smaller than the basket. We will probably be packing it pretty full. The back of the Highlander is reserved for two dog kennels and whatever else we can fit in there.

Of course the two mutts get the back seats. Yes, we're taking the dogs to the beach for Christmas vacation. :mrgreen: We're renting a house on Kiawah Island with Emily's parents and their dog. Gonna be interesting.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:02 am

Kiawah for Christmas. That will be nice.

BTW, how big are your dogs? You need to watch out for the bobcats out there on Kiawah. I think Dan Marino has a place out there. If you see him, tell him I said, "Happy Holidays, and Go Fuck Yourself".

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 pm

haha, I've never been down there but the house we're renting has a heated pool so I'm excited.

I think Hannah is feisty enough to stave off a bobcat. If not, her big brother will step in and his pitbull tendencies should serve him well. and if I see Marino, I'll give him a wedgie for ya.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Got it all put together. Hey Doug, did you do anything extra to secure the lights? It seems like they could pop out fairly easily without some additional adhesive or something.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Nope. You just need to seat them well & properly in the gaskets and then in the holes. And then make sure nothing in the basket can come into contact with them. The bag and strapping it down well helps. I also routed all the wires underneath and ziptied them.

Mine never moved. Never popped back out. Never had an issue. :thumbsup:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 am

Cool. I neatly ziptied all the wiring underneath as well. I haven't even taken the cargo bag out of the box yet but at least the basket is wired and has been tested.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bictti
Name: Jim Woomer

Post by Bictti » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:29 am

Just my experience...
Bought one from Amazon https://wheelstips.com/best-hitch-cargo-carriers of years ago. It's 60"x22" and can put a travel bag from Tractor Supply on perfectly. It will hold my 12'x12' canopy, golf clubs, beach toys and 4 beach chairs and still have room to spare. Travel to the Redneck Riviera every summer and no melting. It extends a good bit from the bumper and exhausts. Maybe some are a little closer to the bumper than mine. I've also put an LED light strip usually used on pickup trucks for safety for turn signals and brake lights. It will also hold 10-12 bags of mulch which is probably overloading it but I only live 2 miles from Home Depot.
Last edited by Bictti on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 am

Holy necro-bump
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 am

Haha...first post on a watch forum is on a 4 year old trailer hitch discussion....LOL
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

I can’t wait to see what’s for sale.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 am

Bictti wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:29 am
Just my experience...
Bought one from Lowe's a couple of years ago. It's 60"x22" and can put a travel bag from Tractor Supply on perfectly. It will hold my 12'x12' canopy, golf clubs, beach toys and 4 beach chairs and still have room to spare. Travel to the Redneck Riviera every summer and no melting. It extends a good bit from the bumper and exhausts. Maybe some are a little closer to the bumper than mine. I've also put an LED light strip usually used on pickup trucks for safety for turn signals and brake lights. It will also hold 10-12 bags of mulch which is probably overloading it but I only live 2 miles from Home Depot.
You joined a Dive watch forum just to comment on a 4 year old thread about a cargo carrier?

:lol:

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

Since we decided to revisit this....had one for a short period and the problem I had was in a brief period of time i was rear-ended ( NOT Terry style "rear enders" ) four-five times. The carrier is below hood line and people just kept rolling forward until i received that bone jarring frame bump.

YMMV
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen