Are any of you Divers afraid of Orcas?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
john wilson
Name: supercalifragilistic

Are any of you Divers afraid of Orcas?

Post by john wilson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am

"Remove booger hook from bang button until ready to make holes." Albert Einstein

ImageImage

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Are any of you Divers afraid of Orcas?

Post by jeckyll » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 pm

If those orcas had wanted that dog, they'd have had it for a chewtoy. But, like any large animal, they need to be respected. For around here, it makes a different if the Orca pod is transient or local. From what I understand they act differently, but I've never heard of divers having issues.

I've never dove with Orcas, but I have with large sea lions, with seals, pacific octos (huge) with white side dolphins. Humans are pathetic in the water compared to anything that's evolved to live in it. Sea lions can get quite aggressive at times. You find out real quick that you're in a foreign environment and you're not the top predator there. :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 pm

I'd be 1000 times more comfortable being in the water with an Orca than a White Shark. Orcas are incredibly intelligent and I imagine they SHOULD be able to easily distinguish me from their usual food.

That said, we're tallking about a very large predatory animal (I mean, the word "killer" is right there in their common name) that could kill me in a split second. I wouldn't jump in the water if they were around, and I'd get out if they appeared while I was in the water.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Fuck Orcas.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

slept with a girl whose nickname was "orca", she is the on that threw me like a horse

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

SCM64 wrote:Fuck Orcas.
Very tricky that. They are slippery and much bigger than you. And they'd be unimpressed with the size of your equipment...

:popcorn:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:49 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Very tricky that. They are slippery and much bigger than you. And they'd be unimpressed with the size of your equipment...

I bet it would be like doing JLo........ :fro:

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:55 pm

jeckyll wrote:If those orcas had wanted that dog, they'd have had it for a chewtoy. But, like any large animal, they need to be respected. For around here, it makes a different if the Orca pod is transient or local. From what I understand they act differently, but I've never heard of divers having issues.

I've never dove with Orcas, but I have with large sea lions, with seals, pacific octos (huge) with white side dolphins. Humans are pathetic in the water compared to anything that's evolved to live in it. Sea lions can get quite aggressive at times. You find out real quick that you're in a foreign environment and you're not the top predator there. :)
You may be mistaking aggressiveness with them "just playing around".
I've dove with all of the above and more (CA Sea Otters, Harbor seals, Humpbacks, Rissos etc-and yes even the Landlord) and never once felt threatened or that they exhibited aggressiveness that wasn't them playing. All except for the Landlord. I got the fuck out the water straight away! From the water, I literally tossed my wife into the boat with all her gear on and high stepped it right after her!

But a lot of their playing can be seen as aggressive to people who don't spend too much time around them. I once had an Otter jump on my back on the surface and start fucking around with my hose, mask, hood. The only thing I could do is drop down (protected species). Once I did, I found out the little fucker was able to turn my gas off!! Accidental or not I don't know...aggressive? Not in the least.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Safetystop wrote:
jeckyll wrote:If those orcas had wanted that dog, they'd have had it for a chewtoy. But, like any large animal, they need to be respected. For around here, it makes a different if the Orca pod is transient or local. From what I understand they act differently, but I've never heard of divers having issues.

I've dove with all of the above and more (CA Sea Otters, Harbor seals, Humpbacks, Rissos etc-and yes even the Landlord) and never once felt threatened or that they exhibited aggressiveness that wasn't them playing. All except for the Landlord. I got the fuck out the water straight away! From the water, I literally tossed my wife into the boat with all her gear on and high stepped it right after her!

But a lot of their playing can be seen as aggressive to people who don't spend too much time around them. I once had an Otter jump on my back on the surface and start fucking around with my hose, mask, hood. The only thing I could do is drop down (protected species). Once I did, I found out the little fucker was able to turn my gas off!! Accidental or not I don't know...aggressive? Not in the least.
Not sure where i said they were aggressive..

Ive had harbour seals mess with fins hoods etc. Juveniles are the moat playful
:-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Safetystop

Post by Safetystop » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:28 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Safetystop wrote:

Right there above

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Landlord???

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Both cool videos. Thanks for posting. That dog had no idea just how close he could have been to being lunch. I think it would be ominous to be in the water with an orca but not sure i have the sack to give it a whirl quite yet.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Safetystop wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
Safetystop wrote:

Right there above
Ohhh, you were talking about the sea lions.

No, I was talking about aggressive behaviour by the big males. Not a problem often around here, but have had some local ops who've found some of them to be 'dominating' the divers. :)

Brimstone
Name: Eric

Post by Brimstone » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm

jeckyll wrote:

Speak for yourself...

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Zidane wrote:Landlord???
I had the same ???

Safetystop

Post by Safetystop » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 pm

andrema wrote:
Zidane wrote:Landlord???
I had the same ???
Great Whites

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 pm

I have snorkeled with Orca (and dolphin & seals)
It was during a lunch break on a dive trip.
We were sheltering up in a bay on the Alderman's.
Orca came into the bay everybody got back on board quick.
I said stuff this grabbed mask & snorkel and jumped in.
Vis was good 100+ feet. Water depth about 25 feet
Mum dad & young one all swam under me, they all turned on their side to watch as they went under.
One of my most memorable experiences from diving / snorkeling
Stu