Best Modern Trucks and the Attributes That Make Them So

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
quatre_temps

Re: Best Modern Trucks and the Attributes That Make Them So

Post by quatre_temps » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 am

I own a 09 Toyota Tundra and it's a fantastic truck. I suppose the real question is what you would need the truck for. If you're going to be towing some major weight on a prolonged journey then I strongly recommend a diesel. If you need to carry/pull heavy duty equipment on a regular bases then a heavy duty F-350, F-250 or power wagon would be recommended. If you simply need a truck to haul quads, dirt bikes, snowmobiles and crap around (Ie tree stumps) then any 1/2 ton pick up will do (Tundra, Titan, F-150, Sierra, Ram, Silverado etc...) .

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Here ya go...GVWR about oh, 600lbs :grin:

Horsepower, ooooohhh I don't know, 30? 35?

Ground clearance??? Oh, a good 6-7 inches! (When the tires are over-inflated)

:roll:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm

SUPER CUTE! :gayumbrella:

Hey Doug, you still planning on getting a new Challenger? I saw a black one today. Looked smokin'.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

No pictures (not cool enough lookin' to bother), but I have an '03 Chevy Suburban.

It suits my needs to a tee! :thumbsup:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 pm

ezcheese wrote:SUPER CUTE! :gayumbrella:

Hey Doug, you still planning on getting a new Challenger? I saw a black one today. Looked smokin'.
:gayumbrella: Yeah, I think that Mini Truck is capable of carrying a pair of ballet slippers, some lavender air freshners and a six pack of wine coolers. :lol:

The Challenger is still at the top of my list. I want to test drive the 'stang and the Camaro, but aesthetically I prefer the Challenger. Consumer Reports likes it, handling is not as good as the Ford but the safety numbers are better however general Chrysler reliability numbers are so low, they will not recommend it.

My current problem is, if I stick with getting the Plum Crazy Purple, the number of examples available are very limited...and right now I do not want to buy it and drive it on our sh*tty tore up roads. The winter storms and the resultant salting & plowing have destroyed the pavement around here...and in lean economic times, they are in no hurry to repair them. Hell they tore up the foot of my concrete driveway while plowing and no one has come out about that yet either. Add to that, we are still getting snow showers from time to time AND I have the mother-in-law's Volvo PLUS my Jeep is going into the shop.

So my only reason to hurry up & buy is to get the Plum Crazy Purple color...which is sweet, but it's not sweet enough to drop $45K and then park the car. :raised:

SO, I will continue to bide my time and if a purple SRT8 is still available when I'm ready to lay down the green I'll get it, if not, I will sit down and see what the nut will be to spec out a Stone White R/T to something like SRT8 specs and tell them not to put the stripes on...aka a Vanishing Point Challenger. The only problem is I already have four white SUVs at my house...I kinda want to break up that monochromatic "white out" I have in my driveway.

Between the Harley, my Jeep and the Volvo, I'll have plenty of transportation through the Spring & Summer. I'm just real particular about what I will buy and truth be told, if I cannot get what I want, I'll walk away and start all over. That's why it took me like 6 years to buy the Harley...just could not get exactly what I wanted without spending a ton totally redoing a stock bike. The "Harley tax" was just too big when I did the math, that was until the Fat Bob came along.

Fingers crossed I pull it off. Of course, I will post pics as soon as I get something!
Last edited by hazmatman on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Big Watch
Name: Arek

Post by Chief Big Watch » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:30 pm

It all depends on what your needs are. 90% of people will be perfectly happy with 4 door Toyota Tacoma, but for the price you can get good American metal (made of course in place other than America :shrug: )
While I agree with a post that a small trailer pulled behind an SUV will be sufficient, many have no room for that trailer, thus have a need for pickup truck. Now days, with all major brands of pickups available with 4 full size doors you do not have to worry that you will have to sacrifice the room in the cab for a truck bed.
Now, as to the gas vs diesel, if you will use your truck 90% of the time for commute or Home Depot trips, then gas engine is more than you need , but if you plan to pull on regular basis, do yourself a favor and get a diesel.

Personally, I'm a Dodge guy, and in the old days always wanted a V8 Dodge, but once I got behind the wheel of the diesel Dodge, there was no coming back.

Here are few pics, first one of my old 98 Dakota that I gave to my dad over 6 years ago, and my current 06 Diesel Ram

the others are just some of my Ram

easy to work on...

and of course CUMMINS inside

There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.
ImageImage

Bałkańska w żyłach płynie krew

quatre_temps

Post by quatre_temps » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 am

vbuskirk wrote: Here's mine:

Well....at least they circled the problem Image

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Chris

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm

:whistle: Image Drive a Ford, Drive the Best! Drive a mile, walk the rest! Image

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 am

Chief Big Watch wrote:
and of course CUMMINS inside

I wish European versions had cummins inside as well. All chrysler group diesels in europe (that I have seen) have idiotic VM Motori ITALIAN diesel engines.
These last about 80.000 miles and that's it.

Actually the Cummins Turbo Diesel is the only option I'd consider for swapping with my 4.0 high output gasoline. I'd really want my YJ to stay american as possible.
Now I'm getting some 11 to 13 MPG at the best. (OK, the engine is LPG converted but nevertheless, LPG holds only about 50 - 55 liters of LPG and that is enough for 200-250 kilometers).
Click:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 am

Diaboliq wrote:
Chief Big Watch wrote: Actually the Cummins Turbo Diesel is the only option I'd consider for swapping with my 4.0 high output gasoline. I'd really want my YJ to stay american as possible.
Now I'm getting some 11 to 13 MPG at the best. (OK, the engine is LPG converted but nevertheless, LPG holds only about 50 - 55 liters of LPG and that is enough for 200-250 kilometers).
I've heard that swap mentioned before (Cummins into a Jeep). I wonder how many folks have accomplished that and just how involved it would be. That Cummins is not a small powerplant.

The 4BT engine would be a good swap although I do not know about it's availability outside CONUS. Pop on a bigger turbo and you will get where you need to go! Here are a few YJ diesel swaps you can peruse:

http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2906
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3353
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3836
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4360
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6780

Anybody got any Jeep Diesel tales to tell? Seth?

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:10 am

Here's my whole diesel in a Jeep story:

Don't get stuck behind one on trail. They stink and are LOUD.

Seriously.

Seth (V8 mo betta)