Like Muscle?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Re: Like Muscle?

Post by hazmatman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 pm

SonnyD wrote: I had a 67 427/435 tri power just like that, only the dark red ........Ended up trading it in 72 for a Yenko Chevelle....
I havn't had a V8 since since around 1980....Never thought that would ever happen.
Regards Sonny
Tripower...nice :thumbsup: My '66 was an L72 car, lots of fun; but, I'll admit the small block cars--like my LT1--handled better. Damn I loved that LT1 the most. The egg crate grilles. The wiper cover. Midyears are really nice cars and pricey, but that early 3rd Gen Mako-based body...with real chrome bumpers, on BOTH ends!!! Suuweeeet!!!

When the guy told me it was yellow, I imagined Sunflower Yellow which sounded intriguing. When I saw it was Warrior or War Bonnet Yellow, I was initally turned off, but the color really grew on me. I planned on keeping it but my accountant screwed up a return and by the time the tax man realized her mistake, 2 years later...the $$$ was steep. Times were tight, so I had to sell the LT1 to cover the bill. :crybaby:

Traded your Vette for a Yenko, very nice! Was it an auto or a stick? Bet you wish you still had that Yenko!!!

Yeah, I ocassionally miss the V-8 rumble...don't miss the thrist of those big 8's; however, I am feeling the need lately, hence I am looking at the Challenger. Ever think about buying back into the game?

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 am

hazmatman wrote:
SonnyD wrote: I had a 67 427/435 tri power just like that, only the dark red ........Ended up trading it in 72 for a Yenko Chevelle....
I havn't had a V8 since since around 1980....Never thought that would ever happen.
Regards Sonny
Tripower...nice :thumbsup: My '66 was an L72 car, lots of fun; but, I'll admit the small block cars--like my LT1--handled better. Damn I loved that LT1 the most. The egg crate grilles. The wiper cover. Midyears are really nice cars and pricey, but that early 3rd Gen Mako-based body...with real chrome bumpers, on BOTH ends!!! Suuweeeet!!!

When the guy told me it was yellow, I imagined Sunflower Yellow which sounded intriguing. When I saw it was Warrior or War Bonnet Yellow, I was initally turned off, but the color really grew on me. I planned on keeping it but my accountant screwed up a return and by the time the tax man realized her mistake, 2 years later...the $$$ was steep. Times were tight, so I had to sell the LT1 to cover the bill. :crybaby:

Traded your Vette for a Yenko, very nice! Was it an auto or a stick? Bet you wish you still had that Yenko!!!

Yeah, I ocassionally miss the V-8 rumble...don't miss the thrist of those big 8's; however, I am feeling the need lately, hence I am looking at the Challenger. Ever think about buying back into the game?

Yeah, the big blocks put a lot of extra weight up front. I mostly ran around with just one carb, untill Friday and Saturday nights.
That car was a real beast though. No A/C....and with those side pipes, the heat would just roll in when sitting or going slow. I
used that excuse once to a cop. I told him it was so hot, I had to drive fast or I'd burn up, of course he didn't buy it :roll:

Yep, I'd love to have the Yenko back. It was an Automatic, one of the few Automatics I've ever
owned. It was truly an amazing car though, especially for a big heavy car.

I still toy with getting a "project", but honestly I really don't like working on them much anymore.
My garage is small and has a couple of motorcycles in it already, so I don't really have a good spot
to keep anything very nice. I'd have to do a RAT rod or something like that. Can't afford anything
too expensive with Social Security approaching at a speeding rate!!!
I still remember the days though :cheers:

Regards Sonny

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 pm

SonnyD wrote:
hazmatman wrote:
Regards Sonny

Yeah, the big blocks put a lot of extra weight up front. I mostly ran around with just one carb, untill Friday and Saturday nights.
That car was a real beast though. No A/C....and with those side pipes, the heat would just roll in when sitting or going slow. I
used that excuse once to a cop. I told him it was so hot, I had to drive fast or I'd burn up, of course he didn't buy it :roll:

Yep, I'd love to have the Yenko back. It was an Automatic, one of the few Automatics I've ever
owned. It was truly an amazing car though, especially for a big heavy car.

I still toy with getting a "project", but honestly I really don't like working on them much anymore.
My garage is small and has a couple of motorcycles in it already, so I don't really have a good spot
to keep anything very nice. I'd have to do a RAT rod or something like that. Can't afford anything
too expensive with Social Security approaching at a speeding rate!!!
I still remember the days though :cheers:

Regards Sonny
Well, I got a while to go before I hit Social Security (assuming it's still around in 20-25 years) but I know how you feel about working on cars. I used to love it but I just don't have the time anymore. Heck I got too many projects right now and zero time to tinker on them, so my next V8 will be a new ride, hence I am looking at that Challenger. I need something that is daily driver reliable.

None of my Vettes ever had side pipes. My father had a '69 with side pipes, but they just never did anything for me so I was never drawn to sidepipe cars. Nice try with the "it's so hot, I gota drive fast" story. I'd never buy it, but I'd give you points for style!

Off the Corvette story - My cousin picked up a couple old '65 El Caminos last year. I think one of them is a 396 big block, so he has a runner & a parts car. They are definitely a long-term project.

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Cool deal on the Camino's! A buddy of mine had a 64 back in 71, he bought it without a motor and we put
a 400 sb in it. I had one of the few 65 396 Chevelles about the same time. I had a bunch of really cool cars
in a 2 or 3 year period of time back them. My parents thought I was crazy, everytime they'd see me I'd be
driving a different car, LOL.
Wish the collectors hadn't driven the prices through the roof on the old muscle cars.!!!!!!!!
Regards Sonny

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 am

SonnyD wrote:Cool deal on the Camino's! A buddy of mine had a 64 back in 71, he bought it without a motor and we put
a 400 sb in it. I had one of the few 65 396 Chevelles about the same time. I had a bunch of really cool cars
in a 2 or 3 year period of time back them. My parents thought I was crazy, everytime they'd see me I'd be
driving a different car, LOL.
Wish the collectors hadn't driven the prices through the roof on the old muscle cars.!!!!!!!!
Regards Sonny
Well, for each car that climbs out of reach, another becomes attractive & attainable.

When mid-years ('63-67 Vettes) became outrageous, and I mean out-friggin-rageous in price, 3rd Gen cars suddenly came into vogue...although they have yet to really push the early full-on plastic cars into high prices. It does not help that the engines took a dive along with the styling after '74. They dropped verts in '75, big blocks & the Stingray name were dropped, Duntov left, CATs & emissions controls came in, so other than Indys (78 & 86) and Silver Anniversary (78), the Vette stable is kinda barren until the ZR1 showed up. BUT eventually the crappy Crossfire engine will be desireable...once everything is priced out of range. :)

The Richie Richs of the world also went after the Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs and once collectors put pony cars out of sight, they started eyeballing the SS Chevelles, Malibus, Goats, HEMI 'Cudas, Road Runners, Gran Sports, 442s which then pushed into the rest of the muscle car pack...but there are always something out there.

There are still a few that are somewhat overlooked, although all the special models have been picked through: Challengers. Cougars. Torinos. Montegos. Cutlass. Dusters. Rebels....just to name a few. I also have a special place in my heart for the station wagons...something we were told America did not want. Now look at all the new cars...moving away from SUVs and tall crossovers to...what are basically station wagons.

The big problem with the models that are left for us to choose from is how they were used & cared for. Lesser, non-HP models were usually daily drivers. Family machines which picked up lots of miles and LOTS OF RUST. You are unlikely to find a lo mileage Buick Roadmaster or AMC Rambler station wagon left in a barn.

A nice choice right now might be a mid-90's Impala SS. She's a boat, but if you go back to the 60's & 70's, she was a boat back then too. You can probably find a decent model cheap. Should run well enough that you won't have to drop $8K just on the motor, hell you could almost bring it to showroom condition for that kind of money. Try reviving an old neglected fuel-injected 283 or 327 'vette for $8K!

You can also find a sh*tload of mid-70's to mid-80's sports cars on the market for under $10K, some under $5K, as long as you can live without a V8. MGs, Triumphs, Mazdas, hell...Porsches, 924's & 944's. E21 & E30 Bimmers. Dare I say it...a Fiat? Or how about the Miata.

You just need to adjust your sights and you will find a target. Maybe it was not the target of your youth, but you can still find some fun rides out there.

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Yeah, I was watching one of the auction shows about 8 years ago when they had a SS 396 Chevelle convert up
for sale. Nice car but no complete motor, I think it had matching block and heads.........Damn thing went for a
tad of 50,000!!!!!!!!
I found a 66 "Rebel Machine" a few years ago that wasn't too bad for about 4500. I just might start looking again,
and see if I can maybe pick up a Grand National or something like that..........Forgot all about the SS Impala, I havn't
checked the prices on those in a while.
Regards Sonny

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:04 pm

SonnyD wrote:Yeah, I was watching one of the auction shows about 8 years ago when they had a SS 396 Chevelle convert up
for sale. Nice car but no complete motor, I think it had matching block and heads.........Damn thing went for a
tad of 50,000!!!!!!!!
I found a 66 "Rebel Machine" a few years ago that wasn't too bad for about 4500. I just might start looking again,
and see if I can maybe pick up a Grand National or something like that..........Forgot all about the SS Impala, I havn't
checked the prices on those in a while.
Regards Sonny
Buick Grand National? That's not a bad choice. The non-turbo Regals of course will be cheaper, but the GN's were V-6s anyway. You want a V8! If you cannot find a decently clean Grand National, maybe even just start with a clean std Regal w/a V8, new black paint, grill, bumpers, hood, rims & badge her up like a clone GNX.

BTW, if you do look at a mid-90's Impala SS, watch out for rides with really hi miles on them. The OEM auto trans, when mated with the LT1 engine, tend to fail at high mileage, and the 7th Gen Impala SS was not available with a stick. SO, if you see one with a manal trans, it's a swap.

Sidenote: Right now I just wish my Jeep would start, with all the snow we're getting; but, knock on wood, we have not lost power. It sucks being stuck inside while it howls outside, but we have light & heat and between TiVo, DVDs & DirecTV, we are entertained.

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 am

I started checking prices on Grand Nationals........wow, they went through the roof!
I really like that V6, it's the only 6 I'd take since I'm kind of looking for a 8. The 6 just
makes that car drive so nice with the light weight.
I've kind of started looking into the Impala's. Almost all of them I've found have been
garage queens with low miles, owned by people older then me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it
really is an old mans car :roll:
I'm actually fine with the auto version. I've got a couple of good friends that have their
own shops, and both would do any kind of work for me basically for just the cost of parts.
Both of them are heavy into drag racing and build all of their own stuff, so they definietly
know what they are doing.
I saw an SS clone Station wagon the other day with a V8 in it. It looked pretty cool, Pearl
White, and a nicely done job on the car from top to bottom.
Regards Sonny

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:55 pm

SonnyD wrote:I started checking prices on Grand Nationals........wow, they went through the roof!
I really like that V6, it's the only 6 I'd take since I'm kind of looking for a 8. The 6 just
makes that car drive so nice with the light weight.
I've kind of started looking into the Impala's. Almost all of them I've found have been
garage queens with low miles, owned by people older then me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it
really is an old mans car :roll:
I'm actually fine with the auto version. I've got a couple of good friends that have their
own shops, and both would do any kind of work for me basically for just the cost of parts.
Both of them are heavy into drag racing and build all of their own stuff, so they definietly
know what they are doing.
I saw an SS clone Station wagon the other day with a V8 in it. It looked pretty cool, Pearl
White, and a nicely done job on the car from top to bottom.
Regards Sonny
The mid-90's Impala SS is a nicer ride, i.e. you don't have to sacrifice ride comfort, actual heat & air conditioning to have a muscle car; that's probably why so many guys around "our ages" go for them (not to mention the price savings over getting a '69 Camaro RS/SS). BTW I've seen several cloned wagons at shows: Chevy SuperSports, Buick GranSports, Olds 442 wagons,...multiple vintages, all very nice...and not what you see everyday!

EDIT: Check this link - http://www.greene-shipman.org/Wagons.html Have a look at the 1972 "Goat Wagon" and the Torino Hi-Po wagon. Sweet!

ImageImageImageImage

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:31 am

Wow, some really nice wagons on that page. I was kind of partial to that New Yorker wagon. Like the 67 Chevelle on
page you posted too.
Found a 95 SS with 70 thousand miles not too awful far from me for 7500. Looks like I'll have some shopping to
do come spring. Thanks for that link.
Regards Sonny

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:27 am

The sad thing is they only made a 2-dr Chevelle wagon the first year or two, now those would make a nice muscle mover for hardware store runs! A clean one now will probably empty your wallet real quick!

I had big plans for the '55 Chevy 210 wagon I had. Clean body & it had the 265 Turbofire engine, backed by a powerglide tranny I think. The tranny was pulled out and sitting in the back when I bought. Never got it running 'cause I bought a '71 Triumph TR6...which was a ragtop & it did run. I was 18 & chicks dig cars you can drive, so I ended up spending less & less time working on the '55 and more & more driving the TR6. I eventually sold it for what I had in it while I was stationed overseas. So I towed it home and about a year later someone else towed her away.

That late model Impala SS is a really good choice I think. Decent availability at affordable prices, plus you should not be looking at major downtime & $$$ to have a fairly reliable driver. As you know, buy anything older than 15-20 years old and you could be looking at a major project (and/or time spend on the shoulder of the road, if you get my meaning), so unless you got the space & time, and you don't need it as a driver, a later model muscle car could really be your answer.

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 pm

It's kind of funny, I never owned a 55,6, or 7 chevy. It's odd because when I was in high school, that
was what most everyone was driving. Of course then they were 10-12 years old and not all that cool
to the girls, who all wanted to drive around in new cars, LOL. My sophomore and junior year I drove
a 56 Ford town and country sedan. Rally cool huh :roll: But it had the Thunderbird 292 V8 and was
faster then most of my friends 265 or 283's It still looked like a turd though, titty pink and white. By
my senior year my Dad started letting me drive the family car which was kind of cool since it was a lot
newer. It was a 63 Impala 4dr hrdtp with a 283, I really wish I had that car today. It was a real nice
I think they called it Azure Aqua color with matching interior.
Not sure what I'll end up with at this point, I've been all over the map so far. I'll just have to keep
scouring the ads. Now all I have to do is win the lottery :roll: :roll:
Regards Sonny

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Just spun this off...300C Heritage Edition. Mine was Black, 5.7 Hemi. Drove rt 66 to Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Diego, up rt 1 and back to Michigan through Tahoe. Nice ride...

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I hand built this CJ to be reminiscent of a hot rod. Stretched front end, flames, and a warm bored out 302.

Motor was a HO 302 block with a roller cam bored to .020" over with ported and polished E7 heads. The block and heads were decked, and the entire bottom end blueprinted. I did all the machine work myself at a buddies engine shop. The combo turned in just under 400ft/lbs of torque and 325hp.

Heads decked and ported:

Short Block:

Assembled:

Chief Big Watch
Name: Arek

Post by Chief Big Watch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Here are my favorite

But if you want a real muscle, there is only one and it has a cummins in it.

Last edited by Chief Big Watch on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.
ImageImage

Bałkańska w żyłach płynie krew

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:40 pm

LOVE the Gran Sport!

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 am

WOW SETH! :shock: :cheers:
Click:

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:29 pm

How's this for a muscle? :shock:

Click:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 pm

You guys have some killer rides. :thumbsup: :cheers:
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

john wilson
Name: supercalifragilistic

Post by john wilson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 am

Image Image Image
"Remove booger hook from bang button until ready to make holes." Albert Einstein

ImageImage