Hot or not? Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Hot or not? Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

Post by ezcheese » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:15 pm

hazmatman wrote: It's always been pretty cliquish. CJ vs. YJ vs. TJ and now the JK. The Grand Cherokee WJ/ZJ guys vs. the XJ/MJ Cherokee/Comanche folks.......
For poor noobs like me, what the hell do all those abbreviations mean?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 pm

CJ is just that. CJ-2a, 3A, 3B, 5, 6, 7, 8
YJ is 87-95 Wranger
TJ is 97-06 Wrangler
LJ is 04-06 long wheelbase wrangler
JK is 07-10 Wrangler (unlimited is 4dr)
MJ is commanche
XJ is Cherokee
ZJ is 93-98 Grand
WJ is 99-04 Grand

stogie25
Name: Jordan

Post by stogie25 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Seth,

That is a nice Jeep. Are you on jeeforum.com?

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:01 pm

No. I stop caring a long time ago. I don't wheel much anymore and definitely don't work in the off road industry anymore.

Mostly I got tired of the BS posturing, the infighting and the bravado. I've succesfully run many of the hardest trails in America. I didn't need some kid hiding behind a screen name telling me I was using the wrong tampon.

stogie25

Post by stogie25 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 am

That is funny. I was just speaking with my friend (both of us are long time Jeep owners and recent Porsche owners) about the Jeep forums vs. the Porsche forums. In the Porsche world people mostly (there are a few purists to prove me wrong) keep an open mind about upgrades and only post an opinion if they have tried what you are trying, or have a valid suggestion. In the Jeep world if you don't have exactly what someone else has you are doing it wrong. Most people will post an opinion about modifications they have never even seen in person.

I still check in on Jeepforum.com, but spend more time on our local board where you can find local parts and people to wheel with etc.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 am

Pretty much the truth. I've hand built 2 vehicles for myself. The TJ had Dynatrac 60s (I worked for DT from 01 to 04), an Atlas, 700r4, hydro assist steering, 37" Krawlers -- state of the art everything.

When we lived in SoCal, I ran the hammers trails in Johnson Valley almost every weekend. I traveled with Dynatrac a lot... went to Moab several times, Rubicon a couple of DOZEN times, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico. Every time I'd have someone tell me that xyz wouldn't work or something else was better. Meanwhile, here's pics of me on Upper Helldorado in Moab, or Little Sluice in the Rubicon.. or the top of Wrecking ball. I can't argue with idiots forever, so I slowly grew bored and withdrew from the scene.

When I started working at Rovertym, it was even worse. The Rover community talks the biggest game and does nothing. I'd be listening to guys argue about all sorts of dumb stuff with no clue. So when I had the opportunity to get out, I ran like hell.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Seth, sad to hear you left the online Jeep community with a bad taste in your mouth; but, I understand it. Some of the more immature or opinionated forum morons who can "speak with authority" behind the anonymity of a keyboard will eventually exhaust some people's patience. I admittedly do not suffer fools well at all.

I have only ever been a recreational wheeler, never competed; but, I personally I spent most of my online Jeep time just lurking on forums/emal lists like Jeepforum, NAXJA, the old XJ-List and reading what others had posted from REAL world experience, not just something they overheard or read on a 4x4 mag. I always hated it when someone who had valuable experience left because the aggravation factor of the forum village idiots.

BTW, nice rigs you had there Seth!!!

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Don't be sorry. Anytime you turn your passion into a career, sacrifices will be made. I got to build amazing cars, beat the crap out of them in amazing places and collect a paycheck to do so.

But I lost my love for it. The idiots and know it alls ruined the fun.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't understand half of what you guys are saying :lol: but I love the passion. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

mk70ss

Post by mk70ss » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:24 am

The 4 door version doesn't do it for me.

mochalover
Name: LeAnne

Post by mochalover » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:48 pm

LOVE the Unlimited. Will probably be my next purchase. Driving an old TJ I've had since '98. Still going strong with nearly 150K on her.
LeAnne

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

mochalover wrote:LOVE the Unlimited. Will probably be my next purchase. Driving an old TJ I've had since '98. Still going strong with nearly 150K on her.
WOOHOO! Another jeeper on the forum! :salute:
Click:

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Love mine!!

I am a dyed in the wool Jeep nut. Have restored; '70 M38A1 CDN3, '73 CJ5 Super Jeep, '77 CJ5, and a '78 CJ5.

Had '93 Wrangler, assorted Cherokees, Grand's, Libby, and have my wife in a Commander now.

At Drummond Island

Jeep on my friends!
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm

demer03 wrote: Image
That one is sweet! :thumbsup:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I love 5s. I miss mine. That's a sweet ride -- Dauntless?

stogie25

Post by stogie25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:34 pm

hazmatman wrote:The 4.0L definitely has better low end torque, and speaking of the stroker...I heard from someone that you can now get 4.7L mills direct from MOPAR. You heard anything about that?
I haven't, but it would be cool.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

Seth wrote:I love 5s. I miss mine. That's a sweet ride -- Dauntless?
Nope, first year of the 238 ('73, predates the 258) straight six. And yes, I pulled out stuck Wranglers on Drummond Island :twisted:

The next build I want to do is a '50's CJ3B. I like them stock, but capable. Not trailer queens, but knock-arounds with that aged patina.

There is nothing more cathartic than folding the windshield down and buzzing the waterfront in the summer....but, I'll have to put that hobby on hold until I get the girls through college.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

ANOMALY
Lume Flasher

Post by ANOMALY » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:06 am

In 2007 I looked at this and a Hummer H3, I got the Hummer.

But, never fear, I have a '98 Wrangler as well!

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:17 am

I had a TJ and a YJ.

The YJ had a rag top and I had it for 4 years in Hawaii and that worked out ok.

I'm a fan of Jeeps, but only as a secondary vehicle/weekender. The 'adventure' part, imo at least, is that if it's cold outside, you are cold. Hot? You are hot. Raining? Guess what.. you're wet. And as mentioned before, they just aren't very comfortable. :hand:

Like I said.. I like Jeeps and they are fun occasionally, but I like the comfort of a full sized truck a lot better on a daily basis. Guess I'm getting old!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:53 am

demer03 wrote:
Seth wrote:I like them stock, but capable. Not trailer queens, but knock-arounds with that aged patina.
:1:

I have an old FJ40, but I had it fully restored...after that the little woman was like, "you have too much money in that thing to go out into the woods with it."

So it mostly sits. I tried using it as a daily driver, but the ride is harsh. The engine is peaking to keep up with 60-65mph traffic on the DC Beltway. No AC & a CAT right under the driver's seat means it's boiling in the Summer and the miniscule heater means it's freezing in the winter...plus with all the salt they lay down around here, I hate taking it out once the weather goes to sh*t.

So I restored a classic sport utility vehicle into a fair weather weekender. :banghead: So, as I said, it mostly sits.

Here's a couple bad iPhone shots of my driveway (all I have at the moment), with both the Jeep & the FJ covered in snow. We also have '87 & '05 4Runners and her mother's Volvo XC90. We did dig out the GF's '05 4Runner...and I could have pulled the Harley out if I had wanted, you can just see the glint of the headlights inside the garage.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

Paul,
Having owned pretty much one of each from the last 3 decades, I can confirm the hot in the summer, cold in the winter, wet in the rain mantra.

I will add that the JK I have is quite civilized. Power windows and locks, AC, cruise, Sat, and a 300 watt stereo... hard top and soft top help too.

Its also got the best traction control ever in the snow. Its so sure footed, its absurd. I love my old school 4wds, but the new school is safer in the nasty weather in traffic.