YouTube Rabbit Holes

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32349
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Have you ever gotten sucked into a YouTube rabbit hole? My latest is antique toy restoration videos. No idea why, as it’s not something I do myself.

https://youtu.be/gq-k8JQW3n0
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by poppydog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 am

I haven't, but it probably will now as I'm going to have to check them out.
Regards

Steve

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5874
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by dnslater » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Have you ever gotten sucked into a YouTube rabbit hole? My latest is antique toy restoration videos. No idea why, as it’s not something I do myself.

https://youtu.be/gq-k8JQW3n0
Yeah, one day I came across a series of restoration videos of vintage matchbox and hot wheels cars. Was deeply satisfying to watch for some reason.

User avatar
jtbenson
Posts: 5451
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm
Name: jason
Location: middle west

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by jtbenson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 am

while not on youtube specifically, while staying at a friend's house in Madison recently, I caught a late-night documentary on the local pbs station about the restoration of two vintage carousels.
"Ultimate Resotrations: Illions Supreme"
could. not. turn. it. off. looked it up and watched it again when I got back home the next night.
There were a cadre of historians whose specialty was authenticating and recreating the original paint on the horses.
Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32349
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 am

dnslater wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Have you ever gotten sucked into a YouTube rabbit hole? My latest is antique toy restoration videos. No idea why, as it’s not something I do myself.

https://youtu.be/gq-k8JQW3n0
Yeah, one day I came across a series of restoration videos of vintage matchbox and hot wheels cars. Was deeply satisfying to watch for some reason.
I love those.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 8131
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 am

I fell down that rabbit hole months ago when I started watching sailing videos. So far I've been around the world to places/beaches I'll never really actually get to.

There is just so much on there to entertain yourself, and it's much better than the crap that's on TV.

User avatar
rain_maker
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 pm
Name: Fred
Location: NW of Boston

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by rain_maker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 am

Since we’re all stuck at home we found there’s a bunch of Disney ride first person videos. A fun way to take a virtual rollercoaster ride.

User avatar
Dynamite_Kid19
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:42 am

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 am

I get sucked into music/concert performances on YT.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk


User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 15332
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by ericf4 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

"Cart Narcs" is my new rabbit hole
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

User avatar
mfxr
Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 am
Name: MattF
Location: Australia

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by mfxr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 am

This guy does crazy restorations on tools and other mechanical objects. Weirdly satisfying to watch.


User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3830
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 am

mfxr wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 am
This guy does crazy restorations on tools and other mechanical objects. Weirdly satisfying to watch.

Yes! This guy is fantastic and I've lost so much time watching his videos.

This is the one that got me tuned into him:


When Jacob is done bottom painting my boat, I'll need to find a way to convince this guy over to my place to work on my boat trailer. I'm not certain my promise of a N105 respirator and tyvek suit will be enough. I might have to throw in a couple rolls of Charmin.

User avatar
four20
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm
Name: erik
Location: Maine coast

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by four20 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 am

I dropped down an Imogene/Black Bear Pass hole while telling my girlfriend about the beauty of the San Juans and To-hell-u-ride. Discovered TrailRecon. Lots of really good stuff on 4 wheeling and overlanding there


https://youtu.be/n1yW9CUuogc


https://youtu.be/croIsbI4kt8

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
Last edited by four20 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10409
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am

Hot Ones hosted by Sean Evans is pretty funny. He interviews celebrities while making them eat progressively spicier chicken wings. The one with Gordan Ramsey was a standout for me. He becomes more and more profane with each wing and then they make him cook something at the end. But there are a lot of good ones.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DyHthJ6LA[/youtube]
Image

User avatar
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Posts: 16521
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm
Name: WDE

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 am
mfxr wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 am
This guy does crazy restorations on tools and other mechanical objects. Weirdly satisfying to watch.

Yes! This guy is fantastic and I've lost so much time watching his videos.

This is the one that got me tuned into him:


When Jacob is done bottom painting my boat, I'll need to find a way to convince this guy over to my place to work on my boat trailer. I'm not certain my promise of a N105 respirator and tyvek suit will be enough. I might have to throw in a couple rolls of Charmin.
This - I found this guy awhile ago and its a great rabbit hole

User avatar
jtbenson
Posts: 5451
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm
Name: jason
Location: middle west

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by jtbenson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 am

David's post about the pov sailing videos reminded me of the youngbloods spearfishing (ybs) channel. love watching those midwinter here. fabulous locations, cinematography, music, editing, just super production all around. (at least that's why I tell my wife I watch it . :lol: )
Image
Image

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 8131
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am

jtbenson wrote:David's post about the pov sailing videos reminded me of the youngbloods spearfishing (ybs) channel. love watching those midwinter here. fabulous locations, cinematography, music, editing, just super production all around. (at least that's why I tell my wife I watch it . Image )
Image
I've watched that one as well. Nice "scenery" indeed. Image

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am

So satisfying. Thanks for the heads up!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 8131
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 am

Call this one up the Rabbit Pole. Girls got talent.


User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 10921
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by logan2z » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am

Don't ask me why, but I've been engrossed in these videos recently:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tT-FwsFgMi

I find them a fascinating study of human nature since most of the accidents are a result of human error/stubbornness/stupidity, even when the pilots are seasoned veterans.

I already hate flying and these videos certainly aren't helping, but for some reason I find myself binge watching them :shrug:

User avatar
unsub073
Posts: 2824
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by unsub073 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 am
I fell down that rabbit hole months ago when I started watching sailing videos. So far I've been around the world to places/beaches I'll never really actually get to.

There is just so much on there to entertain yourself, and it's much better than the crap that's on TV.
This documentary is really good if you haven't seen it yet.


User avatar
unsub073
Posts: 2824
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by unsub073 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am

JBZ wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am
Hot Ones hosted by Sean Evans is pretty funny. He interviews celebrities while making them eat progressively spicier chicken wings. The one with Gordan Ramsey was a standout for me. He becomes more and more profane with each wing and then they make him cook something at the end. But there are a lot of good ones.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DyHthJ6LA[/youtube]
That show is great. One of my favorites is the Alton Brown one.

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 8131
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

unsub073 wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 am
I fell down that rabbit hole months ago when I started watching sailing videos. So far I've been around the world to places/beaches I'll never really actually get to.

There is just so much on there to entertain yourself, and it's much better than the crap that's on TV.
This documentary is really good if you haven't seen it yet.

Yes I viewed that one a while back. Very good and yet sad.

My favorite has been Sailing SV Delos. Their early videos were OK, but the quality and content became outstanding. Over the last year I've watched every episode, and they still put out one per week.

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by BlueSky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Cockpit videos and aviation in general.

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 15254
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Lots of interesting choices; watched this first - mesmerizing.


Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 am
mfxr wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 am
This guy does crazy restorations on tools and other mechanical objects. Weirdly satisfying to watch.



Yes! This guy is fantastic and I've lost so much time watching his videos.

This is the one that got me tuned into him:

Image

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 8131
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: YouTube Rabbit Holes

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 pm

If you're into aviation check out Mike Patey. Here he's being interviewed with a bush plane he built. Very interesting and extremely talented guy.




Here's a tour of his hanger.



Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests