2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by bedlam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am
bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680
I would not blame TOYOTA for reliability I’d blame tree huggers and their laws mandating DPF. Diesel engines were never designed to be environmentally friendly. Personally I would not buy a diesel vehicle anyway for my own reasons
Toyota's shitty response to it's customer's dpf problems isn't something that can be hanged on some 'tree huggers'.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am
bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680
I would not blame TOYOTA for reliability I’d blame tree huggers and their laws mandating DPF. Diesel engines were never designed to be environmentally friendly. Personally I would not buy a diesel vehicle anyway for my own reasons
Toyota's shitty response to it's customer's dpf problems isn't something that can be hanged on some 'tree huggers'.
Toyota here seems to only respond to lawsuits, but they ultimately do come around.

I still am amazed they are replacing frames on Tacoma's. I've got to think it would've been cheaper to simply offer a buy-back program.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 15103
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:13 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am
bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680
I would not blame TOYOTA for reliability I’d blame tree huggers and their laws mandating DPF. Diesel engines were never designed to be environmentally friendly. Personally I would not buy a diesel vehicle anyway for my own reasons
Toyota's shitty response to it's customer's dpf problems isn't something that can be hanged on some 'tree huggers'.
I haven't read the article, I'm simply disagreeing that Toyota's reliability is decreased due to DPF that killed a lot of good cars all in the name of environment.
I personally drove both Landcruisers 5.7 and 4.5D and I would never choose the diesel version regardless of reliability but that's besides the point.

User avatar
unsub073
Posts: 2744
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 am
Name: chris
Location: Florida

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by unsub073 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 am

blkgsl wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm
Defender. I am waiting for the SVR version to drop before buying, but I will have one!
I am waiting on the 2 door version to drop before I do anything. According to my dealer, they are supposed to be heading to AZ sometime in the next couple of months to be able to test drive them. They are supposed to be sending me pictures. Last time I checked w/them the 4 door version should be at the dealership to test drive, look at sometime in Apr or May.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25296
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 am

Ryeguy wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:27 pm
My 4th gen 4Runner has had many little, dumb, hard to solve issues that have made it a pain in my ass. Currently driving it on weekends and in snow with the p0340 code and check engine light on... for some reason I still love it. I’ve had some of the best tires on it and it is incredible in the snow.
My Tacoma (2nd Gen) has been fairly reliable, but certainly not perfect. The biggest issue is the frame rust concern where Toyota has extended a 12 year frame replacement warranty.

Other little things have been the stock headset going wonky (shutting off randomly). This was solved with an aftermarket unit (which also added significantly more features such as Apple CarPlay).

That p0340 code could be (I believe) the secondary air pump. This was added later for emissions (per Art’s comment above). My year Tacoma does not have this.

I think Toyota offered a TSB repair for this if it is the air pump (at least for the Tacoma, but the engines are the same 4 liter V6). You might want to investigate this a bit.

Edit- I just checked, your p0340 is not the air pump. That code is p244X.

Yeah I think mine has something to do with the timing chain sensor. I read about it and it’s totally something I would not do. Once in a while it takes a few tries to start, other than that it’s fine. It’s more the fact that there is always something... before this I was having some odd electrical symptoms. Come to find out I changed my brake light switch and it was fine. Last summer it spent 3 months in 2 shops because of intermittent issues with it not starting - nothing when you turn the key. One mechanic checked the fuses and saw one that looked kinda warped and replaced it- and that was the fix.

The guy who installed our electric dog fence had a Tacoma about my 4runners age and it looks great. Said he just had a new frame installed. He said Toyota should offer it for the 4Runner but they haven’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by bedlam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:13 am
bedlam wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am
bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680
I would not blame TOYOTA for reliability I’d blame tree huggers and their laws mandating DPF. Diesel engines were never designed to be environmentally friendly. Personally I would not buy a diesel vehicle anyway for my own reasons
Toyota's shitty response to it's customer's dpf problems isn't something that can be hanged on some 'tree huggers'.
I haven't read the article, I'm simply disagreeing that Toyota's reliability is decreased due to DPF that killed a lot of good cars all in the name of environment.
I personally drove both Landcruisers 5.7 and 4.5D and I would never choose the diesel version regardless of reliability but that's besides the point.
Yeah, I'm a petrol guy.

I read that Toyota have bought into Suzuki as part of a deal to borrow Suzuki engineering. If there is one company with 4WD engineering to equal Toyota it's Suzuki...so hopefully that collaboration is a good thing for the future.

User avatar
patstarrx
Becky
Posts: 18500
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm
Name: Pasquale
Location: Queens NYC

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by patstarrx » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 pm

deepcdvr wrote:Going to need a mid-large SUV next year and have been holding out for the cheaper version of the Defender, but then BRONCO decides to come out in the same year... :scratch:

Thoughts?
Defender

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pasquale

Image
NSC

User avatar
CesarG
Mexican
Posts: 11357
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Name: Cesar Gomez
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by CesarG » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm

But Toyota reliability, you guys. My reliability. Please don’t ruin it for everyone!

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25296
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

CesarG wrote:But Toyota reliability, you guys. My reliability. Please don’t ruin it for everyone!

Coming from the man who drives a Rover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 15291
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 am

I like this defender

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk




Image
Last edited by ericf4 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25296
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 am

ericf4 wrote:Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:42 am

CesarG wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm
But Toyota reliability, you guys. My reliability. Please don’t ruin it for everyone!
Well, the reputation for reliability is what keeps my Tacoma resale value so high, but the damn frame rust issue makes me think about trading it in.

I don't have a ton of miles on my rig as my commute is pretty short. I was hoping to run it a long time. The bad news for me is Toyota is only covering the frame replacement for 12 years from date of service.

While this really isn't a bad deal, the cost of replacing a frame on my own dime ($10K - $12K) is so costly it pretty much kills the value of keeping the truck. Maybe better to sell it with a couple years of warranty left.

I've read a couple horror stories of people buying 2007 Tacoma's used only to find the frames have holes and won't pass inspection for registration.

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 7198
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by gwells » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 am

That kinda makes me feel happy that I bought a Frontier in 2007.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests