Slowly, but surely

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Slowly, but surely

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 am

We have all felt the adrenaline rush and love of a new arrival. :headbang:

Often, over time, the joy fades, wears off, etc. and we may very well flip the watch.

(see matt.wu for more info on this topic).

However, this thread is not about that immediate love. :naughty:

This is about the reverse, a watch that, for some reason or other, hit a sour note on arrival... :doh:

but then, over time, found a place in your heart and in your collection. :love:

For me, it was the TUSA.

I was riding the high of my first Doxa, a 750T Searambler, and was on the hunt for Doxa #2.

Found a great looking TUSA, at a very good price, from our very own Barry.

Perfect! :thumbsup:

Worked out the arrangements, received the watch and upon opening it, wondered why...

I had just bought a lady's watch! :banghead:

Well, without boring you with details of the tear-streaked pillows and urine-stained sheets,
I started wearing it and realized that I actually liked the size better than the larger 750T.

I have very few watches that get noticed when worn, but for whatever reason the TUSA does
and in a positive way...

and I feel the same about it.

So, that's my example of a turn-around of feelings for a watch.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Last edited by mattcantwin on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Slowly, but surely

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 am

mattcantwin wrote:details of the tear-stained pillows and urine-stained sheets, Anyone else have a similar experience?
Sorry Matt, I haven't pissed in my bed in a long time :shrug: . But I have thought about... :crybaby:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

Interesting Matt....I had a similar experience with the Sinn 756 UTC...

I tried to sell the watch twice as you know :oops: ....Finally, just put it back in the
watchbox to figure out what to do... :shrug:

Took me a while to get warmed up to it, but I'm sure glad I kept it...
I've been wearing it quite a bit lately and it's not going anywhere..... :snooty:

:cheers:
Mike

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:32 am

I have always felt the same about the smaller Doxas. Maybe I need to give one a try. I haven't had that happen yet, but it has gone the opposite way more than a few times.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think I can count the number of times I have bought the same watch over and over again and then finally realized.....WTF are you doing.....you bought it for a reason so step back and take a breath and really look at it. Ah yes, now I get it. It took me a while to get out of hording watches and into actually collecting them. Although I/we still fall off the wagon now and then. If I had to name a specific watch it would be the Sinn U1000. I now have (I think) my 5th or 6th one. I went through a little tantrum with regards to the way the bracelet springbars would not fully seat in the lugs......and it happened on at least 4 of the ones I bought "new" but I got over it and now have one that is perfect (to me) and my minor issues are gone.

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 am

:shock:

...The last three times I've $100 bucks sitting in paypal its gone to a BASM. :oops: Thankfully I've never taken a dump in my bed as a result of it, yet. Next time maybe a skx007 instead? :shrug:
Chauncy7 wrote: If I had to name a specific watch it would be the Sinn U1000. I now have (I think) my 5th or 6th one.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am

Matt.....you know better than to start a thread, then talk about a watch you now love....and not post a pic. :tap:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

SCM64 wrote:Matt.....you know better than to start a thread,

then talk about a watch you now love....and not post a pic. :tap:

Sorry, Steven, don't know what I was thinking. :shrug:

(picture added)

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:11 pm

homathetes wrote::shock:

...The last three times I've $100 bucks sitting in paypal its gone to a BASM. :oops: Thankfully I've never taken a dump in my bed as a result of it, yet. Next time maybe a skx007 instead? :shrug:
Chauncy7 wrote: If I had to name a specific watch it would be the Sinn U1000. I now have (I think) my 5th or 6th one.
I hope you didn't think I "have" 5 or 6 of these. Just meant I've bought/sold/bought/sold/etc.
Now, I wouldn't hold it against anyone for owning 5 or 6 of the same watch. :thumbsup:

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh, I'm not holding anything against you for having 5 or 6 U1000's. Far from it. You gangster. :rocket:

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Whoa ... Matt is getting all deep and stuff on us. Well Matt, I can definitely relate. But first, I think I'm gonna try pissing in the bed. That sounds like it might be fun.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Nothing wrong with the Doxa Tusa it's one of the few none vintage watches I have in my collection.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 pm

I never owned a watch long enough to try to warm up to it if I didn't initially like it. :oops:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:24 pm

usually i know right away, there is no special moment where things change, :shrug: Never really cared for the TUSA and brush finished it to see if that would help but in the end it had to go! Not just Doxa, think if i had a 750T it would be a keeper! Biggest suprise from ordering a watch until it was on the wrist and even more so in the first few weeks of ownership was this watch. It plays so much bigger and the rubber strap, dial and bezel are saweeet even love the caseback! :thumbsup:

Close second was bought because a steal of a deal, wasnt sure about the size and right now its one of if not my favorite watch to wear! :cheers: Both of these pieces never had a sour note but never knew i would go nuts for them like i have being both were bought more due to the price than the watch. Wouldnt think of letting either go and wouldnt mind a couple more of both brands! :whistle:

Image Image Image
Trevor

PoliMalaka

Post by PoliMalaka » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Yep. When I first put the watch on, I thought. OMG what a clown watch. I gotta get rid of this one.

I kept wearing it and it just felt right. Mmmm... Massive love

--
"I have to return some video tapes."
Patrick Bateman

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 pm

I have felt this also with my MSAR. I was wearing my PO XL alot, so when the Marathon arrived it felt weird wearing a watch with such a small busy dial, and comparitively small case. I felt a bit dissapointed, but I have really warmed to it now after a few months.
Love the tritium, and I actually like the difference in size.
It made me realise that it would be awfully dull if all my watches were the same size, and with the same features. It has got me thinking about a Rolex Sub, or GMT now, where I would have previously dismissed them based on size.

Perceptions change over time, and that is a good thing I think.

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

If it arrives and don't get the love it gets a free trip to the post office.