Insurance

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Insurance

Post by River Rat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I know I have seen threads on home insurance.It's all most time to renew I was looking to see if my watches were protected and my insurance sucks.So I checked on line to see who had the best service and price found USAA you have to be in the Military or retired to qualify for it for about 50.00 more a year I get triple the coverage.And for 91.00 extra a year my watches are covered by 10,000.00.have any of you thought about theft coverage and fire coverage on your watches.Now if any of you got your watches covered by insurance let hear about yours.Farmer wanted me to pay 12.00 per 1000.00 in coverage highway robbery and photo's and appraisal.I might be going with USAA for house insurance.Now lets hear what you have and cost lets see what insurance co gives the best deal and service when it comes to protecting our investment in our watches.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: Insurance

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

A safe bolted into the concrete floor: best insurance there is.
Or the safety deposit box.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Mike, I can't believe a military guy like you has never had USAA until now. I LOVE that company. I have car insurance, house insurance, flood insurance, and a major credit card with them. Every year without fail I get a dividend check in the mail, usually in December. I have NEVER called them where I didn't get total satisfaction with no hassle. Prime example ... TODAY. I was at work, getting ready to go eat lunch. I was checking my email and saw where one of the baseball online stores I buy from had a big blowout on stuff, mostly clothes. I ordered both of the boys one of those batting cage, practice, short sleeve pull over shirt things that all the cool players wear before the game. I paid with my USAA credit card. Fast forward an hour and I am using the same card to pay for lunch at a Chinese restaurant. The card gets declined. I'm about to get kung foo'ed, but fortunately I'm wearing a gun AND I have a backup credit card. I immediately call USAA and they tell me that they have been trying to contact me on my home phone. They said that they noticed several suspicious transactions and froze my card. Sure enough .. today, I had about $700 in fraud charges from Florida and New Jersey (Not funny Steven and Pat, you dicks) made on my card. And ... they said the card was present in FLorida. So that means someone hijacked my card number and made a clone card. Anyhow, we pulled up my last few days transactions, I told her what was mine and what wasn't. She said no prob, cancelled the ones that I didn't make (about 4 or 5 total) and is FEDEXing a new card since I use it several times a day. BAM ... DONE ... Just like that. No questions, no hassles, just a "Thank you Major Baldwin" and "Have a great weekend". The whole thing took 15 minutes. That is why I love USAA.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Been with USAA auto insurance for over 25 years. Home insurance for about 18. Their service is AWESOME. I don't really care if it might be a little more expensive(dont know this but if they were) I would stay with them. I just added a rider for jewelry and such.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm

I have a personal articles policy with state farm. I think it was about $70 per year for around $7,000 in coverage. Havent had to use it yet, thankfully.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Don't have USAA but they are truly one of the best insurance companies around...some of the best rates around if you are in the military or a relative of someone who is...

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 am

aikiman44 wrote:A safe bolted into the concrete floor: best insurance there is.
Or the safety deposit box.
I do got a safe and a gun if I am home.But if some body wants your stuff they will do as much damage to your house to get it there are enough members that are police here that can properly tell some sad stories.So just as a back up it's nice to have that extra insurance.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:56 am

Actually I just got out of the military and I don't the koolaid of USAA. :cheers: The reason why is when I had auto insurance with them back in 1990 I got a Probation before Judgement (basically DUI but it drops off of record after 7 years with good behavior) and to this day they still try to charge me as having a DUI on my record. Which is :bs: since it only went on my record if I got into more trouble during that probation time, which I did not. Their reasoning is that since I had insurance with them when that happened I am a high risk driver. :cussing: :tap:

So screw them!

I have Progressive for everything and they have treated me great. :love:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:11 am

Zidane wrote:I have a personal articles policy with state farm. I think it was about $70 per year for around $7,000 in coverage. Havent had to use it yet, thankfully.
Yep, I have $15k policy, and it's about $150 per yr.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:24 am

toxicavenger wrote:Actually I just got out of the military and I don't the koolaid of USAA. :cheers: The reason why is when I had auto insurance with them back in 1990 I got a Probation before Judgement (basically DUI but it drops off of record after 7 years with good behavior) and to this day they still try to charge me as having a DUI on my record. Which is :bs: since it only went on my record if I got into more trouble during that probation time, which I did not. Their reasoning is that since I had insurance with them when that happened I am a high risk driver. :cussing: :tap:

So screw them!

I did check out USAA for auto insurance once they were a littler higher than farmers who I have I did stop Farmers once when I got a vehicle accident at work.I use to work for a City and drove one of those big bucket trucks to prune street tree's with a commercial licence no traffic school so point's went on the licence so my Insurance went up.So I went to another Insurance co until it went off the record back with Farmers they still give me the best price for auto insurance when the record is clean.But there house insurance sucks so USAA mite work for house insurance only.You made me remember something from my past way back in 1983 when on active duty with the US Navy I got this DUI they were cheap in those days 500.00 fine and I talked my way out of two days in jail and went to the military free asap drunk driving school and done with it until my Insurance company canceled me after that showed up on my recored then the only one that would take me cost me a arm and a leg the Insurance cost me the most the Insurance co had on there business card no driver refused :raised: Well it's been a long time since I drank so never have to worry about ever getting another.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:15 am

River Rat wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:Actually I just got out of the military and I don't the koolaid of USAA. :cheers: The reason why is when I had auto insurance with them back in 1990 I got a Probation before Judgement (basically DUI but it drops off of record after 7 years with good behavior) and to this day they still try to charge me as having a DUI on my record. Which is :bs: since it only went on my record if I got into more trouble during that probation time, which I did not. Their reasoning is that since I had insurance with them when that happened I am a high risk driver. :cussing: :tap:

So screw them!

I did check out USAA for auto insurance once they were a littler higher than farmers who I have I did stop Farmers once when I got a vehicle accident at work.I use to work for a City and drove one of those big bucket trucks to prune street tree's with a commercial licence no traffic school so point's went on the licence so my Insurance went up.So I went to another Insurance co until it went off the record back with Farmers they still give me the best price for auto insurance when the record is clean.But there house insurance sucks so USAA mite work for house insurance only.You made me remember something from my past way back in 1983 when on active duty with the US Navy I got this DUI they were cheap in those days 500.00 fine and I talked my way out of two days in jail and went to the military free asap drunk driving school and done with it until my Insurance company canceled me after that showed up on my recored then the only one that would take me cost me a arm and a leg the Insurance cost me the most the Insurance co had on there business card no driver refused :raised: Well it's been a long time since I drank so never have to worry about ever getting another.
Actually I used Farmers back when I lived in Lousiana but I changed when I got upt o Colorado.

One of the things that sold me on Progressive was there hands on treatment. Back when my wife was 8 months pregnant we got rearend by a drunk driver with no insurance. :cussing: Well my car got totalled and the driver skipped town, also my car appraised about $1500 less then what I owed on it. :scream: And Tri-care was giving me the run around on my health coverage. So Progressive payed everything off and then sued the drunk driver for the charges. I didn't have to worry about anything related to the accident and my wife had to stay in the local hospital for 2 days under observation.

To me, I would pay a little extra for aservice when they treat you like they actually gived a crap. Which is rare it seems these days, heck how many times do you actually get 100% of what you paid for without some kind of hassle or run around?!

Good luck in your decision and these guys have given alot of good feedback. :headbang:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 am

I can't say enough good things about Travelers. I have had a string of bad luck the last two years (rear ended once and sideswiped by a bus that didn't stop) and they handled everything quickly and professionally.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Brklynlarsons
Name: Robert

Post by Brklynlarsons » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm a State Farm Agent. If you want, you can PM me your address, and I'll get in touch with a local agent for you and get you a price. You have limited coverage under most HO policies, usually a per piece/aggregate endorsement, after your deductible is satisfied. Thus, your best bet is a personal articles policies. All companies are going to ask for appraisals. I don't require photos, but I do require an appraisal.

The advantage of PAPs are that they are almost always "all peril", thus covering mysterious disappearance, as well as everything else a HO policy covers, they are scheduled, so you can add and subtract items mid-term, and they are reasonable priced, depending on your location.

Anyway, I'm happy to find someone for you or answer any other questions you might have.

Cheers,
Robert
No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Robert

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 pm

:1:

Gathering all the initial appraisals was a PITA, but now I'm covered no matter what by State Farm. (IIRC the portion covered by my homeowners tops out at $3,500.)
Chris

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I have a 50k rider on my homeowners policy. It covers jewelry and watch coverage. You have to show proof of value, pictures/Gia cert...but it is totally worth the piece of mind. We have my watches, my wides engagement & wedding band, her other jewelry...etc covered. If we did nor have this, we would be screwed if she list her rings, get robbed, get mugged ... We would only be reimbursed $3500 through our standard policy.