Resco Patriot: Thoughts and Photos of the Grey Dial/SS

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Re: Resco Patriot: Thoughts and Photos of the Grey Dial/SS

Post by 425ranger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:09 am

I love everything about Resco except the watch.

meh :shrug:
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 am

lol, other than that it's perfect.

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 am

I want one....for about $750 :scratch: :shrug: (used is fine! :bootyshake: :lol: )

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 pm

425ranger wrote:I love everything about Resco except the watch.

meh :shrug:

Yea, +1 .... I'm trying really hard to like it, but it just isn't happening. It's not horrible, but it just isn't giving me that tingling sensation in my nether regions. :snooty:

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Yeah, fair enough dudes. :cheers:

I tend to think of micros in this price range as "upper-middle class." Amongst the brews brands, these brands (such as Zixen, Halios, MKII, & Doxa :stir:) have some distinct features setting them apart from the catalog chinese watches out there Image and yet are not so thoroughly awesome so as to command respect like it or not (a la certain high-end 'brews such as VDB or RGM, or teh best of the big brands). Basically with these watches it's a matter of liking individuals in the class despite the less than ideal demographics. This watch has a lot of features I dig, but I can see why peeps don't, and that's cool too. :drinkingbuddies:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 pm

homathetes wrote:Yeah, fair enough dudes. :cheers:

I tend to think of micros in this price range as "upper-middle class." Amongst the brews brands, these brands (such as Zixen, Halios, MKII, & Doxa :stir:) have some distinct features setting them apart from the catalog chinese watches out there Image and yet are not so thoroughly awesome so as to command respect like it or not (a la certain high-end 'brews such as VDB or RGM, or teh best of the big brands). Basically with these watches it's a matter of liking individuals in the class despite the less than ideal demographics. This watch has a lot of features I dig, but I can see why peeps don't, and that's cool too. :drinkingbuddies:
Good way to put it. If you like a given watch, no matter the price point, more power to you.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:11 am

that color combo is awesome. I really like second hand, color and styling :fro:
Pasquale

NSC

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 am

dukerules wrote:
homathetes wrote:Yeah, fair enough dudes. :cheers:

Good way to put it. If you like a given watch, no matter the price point, more power to you.

This is a great post and why when people talk about "value" a watch offers I generally roll my eyes because it's so subjective. These distinct features may be of "value" to some but not others, it's all very subjective to what "value" a watch represents. I'm waiting on a Patriot myself, I paid $900 for a mint one. I liked the design and especially the dial and the funky movement enough that $900 was reasonable and an acceptable "value" to me.

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks guys.
sinner wrote:Nice review. Great pics. Love the lume shot. Glad you got it at a good price (though I'd have been pissed about the scratches in the outer AR - seems that it came off without a hitch, though). How accurate has the watch been for you?
It's roughly +2 secs a day so far. :rock: The movement is apparently cleaned, oiled, adjusted and regulated in 3 positions, so the timing better be good!! :geek:
bloozy wrote:A great review by the OP and a good looking watch
I have a question that may be a bit off topic. You removed the outer AR coating. Did you do this yourself? In the time I have spent in this hobby I have heard several people detail their experiences and methods of removing the outer coating. Would you mind sharing your method with us too? Thanks. Cheers!
I basically went after it with a cape cod cloth and 1500 grain wet sandpaper.
Here's the imprompu shop setup:
I didn't want to mar the nice case finishing on the bezel so I scrupulously taped it off with about 4 layers of scotch tape. I decided to go with the type of tape b/c it was sticky enough not move on a test run, and yet was not nearly sticky enough to take off the bezel paint. I surmised the crystal itself was not in danger of marring with wet polish, given it's greater Mors harness. Nevertheless I never applied more than light to medium pressure where it was clear there was AR. I started with the cape cod for about 5 minutes, getting the polish evenly on the crystal and I began to polish. After this start, I moved to the wet sand paper. With light pressure I tried to rotate evenly, moving from the center out, carefully checking intermittently to ensure I wasn't needlessly polishing the sapphire itself. At first (the first 10 minutes)the results were minimal, but after 15 or so the coating began to film, which I found meant the coating was beginning to come off. Here's a shot of the 'film' (it's not very noticeable):
More noticeable was how the colors of the lights above changed in reflection and color (less purplish) as I went along.
After 20 minutes the crystal was peeking through the AR, and after about 35 most of it was removed. Touch-up took another 10 minutes or so and then I was done.

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Great review and fantastic pics. I am REALLY tempted by Resco, and yours might have just pushed me over the edge.