Any interest in a Rolex 116610LV "Hulk"?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:08 am

I have an acquaintance who is a retired deputy who knew of my interest in watches. He has a Hulk that he no longer wears. He freely admits he bought it as a status symbol after he retired but has finally admitted he is not really a watch guy. He wants to sell it but would rather not rather sell it to a local jeweler or to an online dealer (ie DavidSW) and take the monetary hit.

He is the second owner and has box, papers, hang tag etc. He has an acquaintance that supposedly worked for Rolex for 40 years that verified the authenticity and condition. I asked my friend if the guy would be willing to write some sort of letter verifying the authenticity and he said he would likely do so.

The watchmaker is named Ron Aretz if anyone knows the name. A quick Google search does seem to verify he is a certified watchmaker but I couldn't find any affiliation with Rolex.

If anyone has any interest let me know.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

hobbit712

Re: Any interest in a Rolex 116610LV "Hulk"?

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:19 am

I added a couple pics for more info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:20 am

couple more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:01 am

Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

I had an inquiry about the watch. Someone wanted to know the year of the watch. I run the serial number through a couple databases and it comes back to a 2002. More internet research indicated the Hulk started production in 2010.

I am going to have to do some more verifying. I assumed it was a 2015ish based on the photos of the tags my buddy sent me. I will verify the serial number on the watch with my buddy. I apologize. I want nothing to do with this if there is any suspicion. I assumed it was all good since he's a retired deputy. I have to wonder if maybe he got duped if it doesn't check out.

If anyone with more knowledge or thoughts please enlighten me.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:14 am

According to the card, it’s a Y serial. That’s no bueno for that reference. I’d suggest the guy have it checked out before selling.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:08 am

Yikes! I hope he didn’t get a “good fake” with an old legit card.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:36 am

hoppyjr wrote:Yikes! I hope he didn’t get a “good fake” with an old legit card.
Another red flag…Y serial should have punched papers I believe. They didn’t move to a plastic card until later IIRC.
- Todd

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:45 am

I agree with Todd's suggestion.

I think there are a few independent well known Rolex experts out there who could probably authenticate it for a reasonable fee.

There are a few YouTube videos out there of watchmakers taking apart some of the higher end fake Rolex models and even the experts say they are scary good.

The "tells" from what I've seen are the balance wheel (and the microstella adjustments) and the paraflex anti-shock mechanism. The fakes don't seem to have those (yet).

Here is a good video which speaks to the above:
Last edited by Ryeguy on Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:55 am

Are there any other letters in the serial number? I guess there could be an odd chance it “randomized” to have a Y at the beginning, but I am relatively certain it would need to have other letters in it as well.
- Todd

hobbit712

Re: Any interest in a Rolex 116610LV

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:01 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:55 am
Are there any other letters in the serial number? I guess there could be an odd chance it “randomized” to have a Y at the beginning, but I am relatively certain it would need to have other letters in it as well.

Yes...there is three numbers, then a "C" followed by three numbers

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:10 am

hobbit712 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:55 am

Yes...there is three numbers, then a "C" followed by three numbers
I think you’re all good then. A true Y serial would only have numbers after the letter (99% sure), while a post-2009 random serial watch could have more than one letter. This makes much more sense than a fake watch/card.

Edit: You could also call the AD to see if that watch was sold there. That should settle it.
- Todd

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:56 am

I know Rolex/Tudor ADs have a database, so calling them to verify it was sold there is almost certain to settle the issue.

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:28 pm

I called Leonardo jewelers in New Jersey. Georgie answered the phone was very helpful. He would not verify that Anthony, Giordano purchased the watch on that date due to privacy issues but he did confirm that the family is a long time customer of theirs. I asked them if he would verify the watch in the Rolex database as he is an authorized dealer. He read me the serial number exactly as the card indicates on the picture.

So I can be sure the watch is authentic.

And my buddies story of the watchmaker from Rolex verifying it also confirms the legitimacy I believe.

I'm going to contact my buddy and see if I can lay hands on the watch to verify its condition as the picture seem pretty harsh.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:48 pm

hobbit712 wrote:I called Leonardo jewelers in New Jersey. Georgie answered the phone was very helpful. He would not verify that Anthony, Giordano purchased the watch on that date due to privacy issues but he did confirm that the family is a long time customer of theirs. I asked them if he would verify the watch in the Rolex database as he is an authorized dealer. He read me the serial number exactly as the card indicates on the picture.

So I can be sure the watch is authentic.

And my buddies story of the watchmaker from Rolex verifying it also confirms the legitimacy I believe.

I'm going to contact my buddy and see if I can lay hands on the watch to verify its condition as the picture seem pretty harsh.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Coincidently, Leonardo is the closest AD to me. Glad it all worked out.
- Todd

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Any interest in a Rolex 116610LV

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:48 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:14 am
According to the card, it’s a Y serial. That’s no bueno for that reference. I’d suggest the guy have it checked out before selling.
Is it a "Y serial" or a random with a Y as the first digit? If the latter it's fine. The former is not.