New Diver ... but you can't have one :p (Orsa Sea Viper)

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Pallet Spoon

New Diver ... but you can't have one :p (Orsa Sea Viper)

Post by Pallet Spoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:46 pm

... well, okay, I think Berg will let you go put a deposit on one ;) . Only in pre-order stage now I believe.

I had the opportunity to photo Orsa's new Sea Viper hot off the proverbial presses just last week. Not affiliated with them, just do some photo work.

I tried to give the Orsa some tough love and be critical, but honestly there are not many nits I could find to pick with this watch. Bergs designs like the Sea Angler and the Monstrum are the dive watch equivalent of pounding in a finishing nail with a 20 pound sledge. This is seemingly the evolutionary next step after the Monstrum.

A lot of what I observed is simply a matter of personal taste and not an issue of execution. I try below to give some impartial opinions.

The Case: I never ever liked curved cases. I don't own any. This is a departure from the square look of the Monstrum and Angler for example ... and the types of designs I usually gravitate towards. I really really like the look of these. This case may have changed my mind. The curvature accelerates rapidly away from the bezel both front and back, almost creating a deep "bowl" effect hard to capture in photos at the underside. This is offset by the proudness of the caseback making it comfy to wear and sit well on the wrist. The curvature makes the overall watch conform to your shape. Above that, I mostly I noticed the way the case FELT. There are NO sharp edges anywhere and the brushing is what I would term "very fine". There is no roughness to the brush as it feels kind of like silk. Fits to all adjacent components is excellent. Really Excellent. This case is top drawer.

The New Crown: WOW! I love them ... so mechanical looking and "valve-like". A really sturdy look that is smooth and robust feeling in its operation. Screws down nicely without that "searching" for the first thread that sometimes occurs. Thank you, thank you, thank you for having these deeply engraved with the logo and not simply acid-etched. A nice touch that the overall crown shape kind of mimics the shape of the complete watch.

The Bezel: I think the Bezels turned out AWESOME. They line right up and 120 clicks really gives a nice feel. Orsa gets extra points on the blue for not only adding an orange minute hand, but adding the orange ring to the bezel. The shape slopes nicely with the case. The fit is superb, the quality of the PVD, paint, and finish, outstanding, although some will be disappointed that the white numerals on the bezel are not lumed. That being said the colored numerals match the dials perfectly.

The Dials: Personally I LOVE the vibrant colors! They do look just like the intended design. Sometimes the details get lost in production. I didn't expect the chapter ring and actually like that best on the orange. The lume is exceptional (as it is on the hands). The Blue is really striking and the kind of monochromatic orange and black gives the other a "doxaesqe" feel ... in a good way.

The Crystal: I was a little disappointed that the crystal is completely flat. I expected it to match the soft curve and continue the bezel shape ... just a slight dome. I am also a huge fan of double AR, but I do understand that this is not for everybody ... people seem to be split about 50 / 50. Double AR would really make these dials POP.

The Hands: I am a HUGE fan of chunky stubby hands. This is a home run!After seeing these it occurs to me that I don't think I have ever seen a square pip on a second hand before (except for maybe Doxa). I like the proportion of the ORSA better. I saw it in the design, but it plays much better in real life. For my money Orsa has always had some of the nicest hands in the business and these do not disappoint.

The Caseback: What can I say about it that hasn't already been said. People fell in love with this design the moment Berg showed it. I don't think a single person had any criticism. It is executed perfectly. Equal to, or better than the Monstrum, and that is really saying something. The Monstrum was one of the greatest casebacks of all time.

Finally, The Bracelet: THANK YOU for finally making an Orsa bracelet :) . My first reaction upon inspection was that they were too light. After handling the watches for a while I must say I think they are just right. I thought 22mm was a little small on the Monstrum ... this looks in proportion to the watch. The first think you will likely notice tho is a really nice tight fit to the case. A nearly undetectable uniform gap with solid end links give a SUPERB fit to the case. Some folks may criticize that the case bracelet holes and not drilled through the lugs. It does detract from the look but does make strap changes easier. The buckle is nice and once again, deeply engraved, not acid etched. It would be nice to have a divers extension, but the lack of it only slightly detracts from a really stellar metal bracelet.

I'll shut up now ant let the pics do the talking ... I think Berg and Orsa definetly have something to be proud of here. It is hard to really describe in words how much I felt the build quality of these watchs was truly something special.

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Re: New Diver ... but you can't have one :p (Orsa Sea Viper)

Post by Diaboliq » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 am

Not my cup of tea but do find it interesting 8-)
Thanks on the review :cheers:
Click:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:02 am

The case shape is not for me, but I kind of like the blue dial. It's what I imagine Fisher-Price might make if they designed a mechanical watch. :banplz:

What movement is in these? :think:

Great pics!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pallet Spoon

Post by Pallet Spoon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:08 am

ezcheese wrote:The case shape is not for me, but I kind of like the blue dial. It's what I imagine Fisher-Price might make if they designed a mechanical watch. :banplz:

What movement is in these? :think:

Great pics!
Yeah, like I said I usually steer clear of rounded cases as well, but this one in the real, impressed me. It was hard to capture that feel in photos and for me it was something I had to actually handle for a while to really appreciate.

Movement is ETA 2824.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 am

I like the shape of the case. I also like the bracelet. How refreshing not to see the typical 5 row 24mm bracelet that seems to come on every micro brand dive watch. Also, a big plus for the ETA movement. About the only thing I don't like are the color combos and the size (if it's over 44mm).

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:17 am

I'm not feelin the bezel and dial, but I do like that case and the caseback. Are the clasps the stamped kind or cut from 3xx ss? Any word yet on what Berg is going to set as final price? Excellent pics, by the way! :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:02 pm

This one is interesting. Some unique design cues going on with the dial and caseback. I like the case curvature, it looks like it would sit well on the wrist. I really like the beefy link bracelet. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I care for the black PVD bezel, if it was brushed SS to match the case I think I would like it a lot more. Right now the black bezel looks a little like black plastic, just my opinion.

Overall, an interesting looking new offering from Orsa.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Caseback and Bracelet are cool. :thumbsup: Too much color going on for me overall though. :think:

Glad you liked it though, and appreciate the detailed comments and nice pics. :clap:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Pallet Spoon

Post by Pallet Spoon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:03 am

Berg has restructured the color break-up to offer 50 blue dials, 25 orange, and now 25 black. There are no pics of the black, only a graphic. I find the black really reminiscent of the final Monstrum he put out. May help the color challenged as well :lol: . Same bezel as the orange:

The PVD on the bezel is really well done, but you bring a good point with the SS ... it would be an interesting look ... and might make the overall watch look larger. Berg had shown a case sample that was all brushed that might give you a better idea of what that may look like.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:26 am

That is a cool black dial! If there was a black dial, SS bezel combo I would make a purchase.

Maybe Berg will put this combo together in the future. :shrug:

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 am

Would be all over it if only it had a 5 link 24mm bracelet!! :shrug: Sorry David!! :dance: Still not for me, i've played the ORSA game and really dont fell like doing it again! :think:
Image Image Image
Trevor

noah

Ya Fisher-Price also looks like

Post by noah » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 am

The Seiko / Alba call the "Leggo"

one for sale here:

http://www.watcharama.com/al001.htm