Fifty Fathoms or Deep Sea??

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
GregNYC
Name: Greg

Fifty Fathoms or Deep Sea??

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Over the last 2 months I've been yearning for a high-end diving watch with a sense of history. I had three candidates, the PloProf 1200, the Deep Sea, and more recently, the 45mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I was rooting for the PloProf, but thanks to last week's Red Bar GTG, it's out of the running since I tried on a Ploprof and its destro crown will irritate my left wrist. You guys probably saved me lots of $$$!

OK, so there are two titans left. Fifty Fathoms / Deep Sea. I loved the Fifty when they let me wear it for a bit at the Blancpain Boutique. It fit very well! What are your thoughts?

Of course I know that only I can make the decision. But for me, part of wearing a watch is the community, hanging out and exchanging views and info with other folks. One of the many elements that make up my enjoyment is a social, interpersonal one. It's never occurred to me that what others think is irrelevant. It definitely plays a part. I wouldn't want to wear a watch that others say is fugly. I don't want to be the only one liking it....
Your thoughts? Here are my thoughts on the two, from the perspective of wearing this piece daily rather than keeping it in the safe. I'd be very happy with either one! :rock:

Fifty Fathoms:
  • Great candidate for an ultimate high-end dive watch
  • Large enough for me
  • Super comfortable
  • Super power reserve
  • Is the movement less delicate than I have heard about past BP watches?
  • Great bracelet, and confortable too (I forgot whether it has micro-adjustment)
  • Very good lume, even the bezel
  • Good, precise bezel action; bezel is a beautiful work of art
  • Surprisingly large and legible date for not being a big-date module
  • Expensive, as I tend to buy only new, and I have a $$ comfort level for carrying a watch around on my wrist that tops out with about $10K.
  • Great FF history, as I'm coming to learn more about
  • It is a grail for many people, and this does indeed have at least some effect on my thinking
Deep Sea:
  • Large enough for me
  • The fit and comfort are OK. The DSSD's a little top-heavy, but I can totally get used to it. I've had the DSSD before. I sold it because I became interested in another brand. But this time I'd be looking at the piece differently -- as a confirmed dive watch fanatic.
  • Fantastic clasp; narrow but comfortable bracelet
  • Price point is fine, as I have a long-time AD
  • Better lume than other Rolexes, which makes it just adequate but never impressive
  • Best bezel action I've ever felt on a watch. It's silky-smooth and precise like the dial on a safe. And I use dive watch bezels several times every day for various timing and mnemonic tasks
  • The date window is a bit small for my eyes these days
  • Price point is comfortable
  • I'm a long-time Rolex fan; I sort of like the official Rolex shtick and mystique. I like the Rolex sense of theater, e.g., when I go to the RSC in New York and see all the techs popping out from behind the woodwork wearing lab coats and carrying velvet-lined trays
  • Rolex is my wife's favorite watch brand

el presidente
Name: Roar

Re: Fifty Fathoms or Deep Sea??

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Welcome Steve, im drunk :cheers:
Pikachu is a virgin!

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Welcome Steve
and welcome also to I.M.Drunk.
Cheers
Y'll

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:27 pm

WTF :roll:
Pikachu is a virgin!

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Roar...your English goes to shit every time you get tipsy, bud ;)

Deep sea for me, only because it has a more tool-ish feel.

I know it's heresy, but the fifty just looks bland to me.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:37 pm

demer03 wrote:Roar...your English goes to shit every time you get tipsy, bud ;)

Deep sea for me, only because it has a more tool-ish feel.

I know it's heresy, but the fifty just looks bland to me.
Sorry Jason...Rolex!!!!!
Pikachu is a virgin!

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:40 pm

GregNYC wrote:Over the last 2 months I've been yearning for a high-end diving watch with a sense of history. I had three candidates, the PloProf 1200, the Deep Sea, and more recently, the 45mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I was rooting for the PloProf, but thanks to last week's Red Bar GTG, it's out of the running since I tried on a Ploprof and its destro crown will irritate my left wrist. You guys probably saved me lots of $$$!

OK, so there are two titans left. Fifty Fathoms / Deep Sea. I loved the Fifty when they let me wear it for a bit at the Blancpain Boutique. It fit very well! What are your thoughts?

Of course I know that only I can make the decision. But for me, part of wearing a watch is the community, hanging out and exchanging views and info with other folks. One of the many elements that make up my enjoyment is a social, interpersonal one. It's never occurred to me that what others think is irrelevant. It definitely plays a part. I wouldn't want to wear a watch that others say is fugly. I don't want to be the only one liking it....
Your thoughts? Here are my thoughts on the two, from the perspective of wearing this piece daily rather than keeping it in the safe. I'd be very happy with either one! :rock:

Fifty Fathoms:
  • Large enough for me
  • Super comfortable
  • Super power reserve
  • Is the movement less delicate than I have heard about past BP watches?
  • Great bracelet, and confortable too (I forgot whether it has micro-adjustment)
  • Very good lume, even the bezel
  • Good, precise bezel action; bezel is a beautiful work of art
  • Surprisingly large and legible date for not being a big-date module
  • Expensive, as I tend to buy only new, and I have a $$ comfort level for carrying a watch around on my wrist that tops out with about $10K.
  • Great FF history, as I'm coming to learn more about
  • It is a grail for many people, and this does indeed have at least some effect on my thinking
Deep Sea:
  • Large enough for me
  • The fit and comfort are OK. The DSSD's a little top-heavy, but I can totally get used to it. I've had the DSSD before. I sold it because I became interested in another brand. But this time I'd be looking at the piece differently -- as a confirmed dive watch fanatic.
  • Fantastic clasp; narrow but comfortable bracelet
  • Price point is fine, as I have a long-time AD
  • Better lume than other Rolexes, which makes it just adequate but never impressive
  • Best bezel action I've ever felt on a watch. It's silky-smooth and precise like the dial on a safe. And I use dive watch bezels several times every day for various timing and mnemonic tasks
  • The date window is a bit small for my eyes these days
  • Price point is comfortable
  • I'm a long-time Rolex fan; I sort of like the official Rolex shtick and mystique. I like the Rolex sense of theater, e.g., when I go to the RSC in New York and see all the techs popping out from behind the woodwork wearing lab coats and carrying velvet-lined trays
  • Rolex is my wife's favorite watch brand
I do believe you've answered your own question with the list you created. The fit and comfort issues I highlighted sure made up my mind...okay it was made up before.
Get the BP and never look back. Oh yeah, you already owned a DSSD. You knew the answer too, get the BP!
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Yikes...who the Hell is Jason????

We have moved to the hard liquor!

:thumbsup:
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:43 pm

demer03 wrote:Yikes...who the Hell is Jason????

We have moved to the hard liquor!

:thumbsup:
Sorry Mike, yes we have :cheers: :lol:

ps: the party is in the chat room
Pikachu is a virgin!

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:49 pm

My take:
The DSSD is more technically impressive by a mile. And its much cheaper too boot. It's a Rolex though, which is both good and bad in ways you already know.
The FF is a much rarer piece, and seems a whole lot more special to me somehow.
If I could make it happen, they'd both be sitting in my watchbox right now.

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:01 pm

:)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7515

The movement is more impressive IMO in the FF. Free sprung balance, screw down regulator, triple barrel serial main springs, etc.

The camphered sapphire bezel is very cool on the FF and the ceramic bezel on the DSSD is also the smoothest slickest feeling bezel I've tried.

Crown is more impressive on the DSSD IMO.

I've always been impressed with the illustrious military history of the FF and while I deeply admire the DSSD a lot and might even own one some day I don't think it's quite as special with it being another modern Rolex with awkward case to bracelet dimensions. Vintage Rolex models really where I think the best Rolex action is right now.

Overall, the bubbly camphered bezel and bubbly main crystal really does it for me.
Last edited by FlyPenFly on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:04 pm

FF has a bracelet available? Only seen it on the sailcloth (and really like it that way).

My choice is the DSSD, as the FF is a tad too flashy for my personal taste (and I would just feel wrong brushing that baby). DSSD has the most amazing bezel, clasp, and I love the maxi matte dial. :love:
:htfu:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:06 pm

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:11 pm

matt.wu wrote:FF has a bracelet available? Only seen it on the sailcloth (and really like it that way).
Jae pointed in the right direction. The bracelet model is Ref. 5015-1130-71. I usually prefer bracelets anyway. What I don't know is whether the bracelet can be purchased separately....

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Even though the FF is arguably the more special watch, the Deepsea is the one for me. Toolish, comfortable, excellent lume (lasts longer than my Seiko), impeccable finish, incredible wrist presence, unparalleled pedigree, bulletproof movement, amazing bracelet (the BPs bracelet lacks microadjustment)... It just hits all my notes.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:21 pm

That's a tough one....The two most iconic dive watches, the Fifty and the Rolex Sub... :think:

If my wrist was big enough I would by a Fifty Fathoms....Based on your post you seemed to have more negatives in the DSSD column...

It's a tough one....

Good luck..
Mike

Crue4
Name: Britt

Post by Crue4 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:36 pm

FF by a mile.... much more upscale appeal to me... the dssd is just another Rollie... and there are a number of other Rollies I would rather own than a dssd like the milgauss, a vintage sub, the new sub... etc.

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:46 pm

craniotes wrote:excellent lume (lasts longer than my Seiko), impeccable finish, incredible wrist presence, unparalleled pedigree, bulletproof movement, amazing bracelet (the BPs bracelet lacks microadjustment)... It just hits all my notes.
Interesting what you say about the DSSD's lume. I like it! I never compared it to a Seiko, but did compare it with a PAM 112 and my Kermit LV Sub overnight one crazy night. At full charge, the PAM and the LV's lume was significantly brighter than the DSSD's blue lume until about the 4 hour mark. Their brightness declined from very bright, and continued to do so, but they remained legible all night. The DSSD hung in there steadily the entire time, always legible, but diminishing in a very flat shallow curve during the 8 hours I was watching.

Thanks - good to know about no microadjustment on the FF!

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:47 pm

dukerules wrote:My take: ...
If I could make it happen, they'd both be sitting in my watchbox right now.
My take too!

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:52 pm

FlyPenFly wrote: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7515
Hey Jae, I know! I guess it was your FF I was hoping to see at the Red Bar on Wednesday. I had to leave shortly after the event started. I'm new here, but everybody seems to appreciate your bringing this great watch into the community!

--Greg

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:51 pm

I really love the aesthetic of the FF with the sapphire bezel and clean, classy dial, moreso maybe than the DSSD. However the thing that bugs me is that the size and styling kind of work at odds with each other. I think if a watch is going to be large, it's a better look if it's utilitarian/toolish. And, conversely, a watch so impeccably refined as the FF is better served in a "smaller" case.

Just my personal preference, though. Both watches stop me in my tracks.
:htfu:

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:38 pm

matt.wu wrote:I really love the aesthetic of the FF with the sapphire bezel and clean, classy dial, moreso maybe than the DSSD. However the thing that bugs me is that the size and styling kind of work at odds with each other. I think if a watch is going to be large, it's a better look if it's utilitarian/toolish. And, conversely, a watch so impeccably refined as the FF is better served in a "smaller" case.

Just my personal preference, though. Both watches stop me in my tracks.

I always thought the FF was too large when I looked at it in a display case, but when I tried on Jae's it fit perfectly. I no longer think it's too big.
-David

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14 pm

DSSD out of those two.

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Great points, everyone!