Cabaiguan wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:33 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:49 pm
Cabaiguan wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:25 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 am
Is ceratanium a fancy way of say enameled titanium?
“ Ceratanium isn’t a coating. Apparently, during the sintering process (that’s baking in an oven, to you and me), a “phase transformation” takes place, which results in a ceramic-like surface that bonds directly with the titanium.”

All I can say is that this is an awesome alloy. It’s pricey which is why they don’t really use it too much. It combines the properties of both ceramic and titanium and the “feel” of it is something you simply don’t find in any other watch material. I’m a fan.
That phase transformation could be something as simple as DLC. I’d would nice to get something that’s not just marketing.
Hard to find any detailed info on the process. Not surprising as it’s their proprietary alloy. It isn’t DLC though. Not just on surface but an bonded alloy.
Here’s an attempt to explain what it is. Sounds like the surface of titanium is hardened in the oven and becomes black and hard like ceramic or “crust on a loaf of bread”
Almost sounds like Sinn Tegimented?

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/watch ... 24619.html

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: New Hodinkee Collaboration w/ IWC

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:08 am
Cabaiguan wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
“ Ceratanium isn’t a coating. Apparently, during the sintering process (that’s baking in an oven, to you and me), a “phase transformation” takes place, which results in a ceramic-like surface that bonds directly with the titanium.”

All I can say is that this is an awesome alloy. It’s pricey which is why they don’t really use it too much. It combines the properties of both ceramic and titanium and the “feel” of it is something you simply don’t find in any other watch material. I’m a fan.
That phase transformation could be something as simple as DLC. I’d would nice to get something that’s not just marketing.
Hard to find any detailed info on the process. Not surprising as it’s their proprietary alloy. It isn’t DLC though. Not just on surface but an bonded alloy.
Here’s an attempt to explain what it is. Sounds like the surface of titanium is hardened in the oven and becomes black and hard like ceramic or “crust on a loaf of bread”

I don’t think the crusty bread example is a good example. During their titanium/ceramic sintering process the ceramic goes into the titanium (merges with the titanium) at an atomic level. The surface of the watch case becomes a ceramic material.
The Hapa

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:25 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

I don’t think the crusty bread example is a good example. During their titanium/ceramic sintering process the ceramic goes into the titanium (merges with the titanium) at an atomic level. The surface of the watch case becomes a ceramic material.

So more of a baguette hardness. Got it.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:39 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:56 pm
Panerai7 wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

I agree it’s strange analogy but that’s how Lorenz Brunner, the head of the materials development, described it.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Is it the same concept as what Chase did with its latest Oak and Oscar field watch release ?
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 pm
Is it the same concept as what Chase did with its latest Oak and Oscar field watch release ?
i think his is ceramic coating. more like a dlc

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm

nweash wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:25 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Cabaiguan wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

So more of a baguette hardness. Got it.
Actually yes that’s a better analogy. Bread crust is crumbly and can fall off in the bag. Baguette is more durable and looks better in the movies.
The Hapa

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 am

The firearms industry has used titanium–titanium boride composites processed by three powder metallurgy techniques hot isostatic pressing, spark plasma sintering and vacuum sintering for a long time. Its old technology. Glocks - "tenifer" for example is essentially the same technology.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 am

Nomadz wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 am
The firearms industry has used titanium–titanium boride composites processed by three powder metallurgy techniques hot isostatic pressing, spark plasma sintering and vacuum sintering for a long time. Its old technology. Glocks - "tenifer" for example is essentially the same technology.
Makes sense. Hence, I'd rather have it in normal black ceramic as it's cheaper and more unique of a material

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Looks like details and pics are starting to leak out, although there's no indication this is a collaboration with Hodinkee.

In-house chronograph movement, 41mm x 15.3mm Ceratanium case, limited ro 1000 pcs, available for online purchase only.

At ~$15K I think that's going to be a hard pass.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:26 am

Perfect, it’s going to attract exactly who it’s made for to begin with. I already know who’s going to respond with “awesome, want, need” and clapping hands emoji

goaliechris
Name: Chris

New Hodinkee Collaboration w/ IWC

Post by goaliechris » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 am

$15k? I’m out.

Not a fan of the hour hand - I think that style works better with a smaller case. Or this version is particularly short. Could be the angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm

I think it looks great, but at that price I'd rather dream about getting the latest top gun doppelchrono

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm

They didn’t need to “ceramicize” the crowns if they wanted it to look authentic. And again the whole case should have just been ceramic for $7-8K. Also I like old school numerals better, 1, 10, 11 in particular the European way of writing number 1

MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Awesome, want, need :clap:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:11 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm
They didn’t need to “ceramicize” the crowns if they wanted it to look authentic. And again the whole case should have just been ceramic for $7-8K. Also I like old school numerals better, 1, 10, 11 in particular the European way of writing number 1

If that one photo I posted earlier is any indication, it seems they have messed things up a bit compared to the original. The font is certainly different (the '4', for example) and it seems like the date window and the left subdial are different distances from the 3/9 markers. And the hour hand does look way too short. I guess it could be the angle of the photo making some of these things look worse...

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Stupid price. When will it ever end?

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:49 pm

So, a curveball. The Hodinkee collaboration is with Tag Heuer and is apparently an all-black 60s era chrono with Heuer branding.

Link to short video: TAG Heuer x HODINKEE https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wanna ... ed-edition

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:49 pm
So, a curveball. The Hodinkee collaboration is with Tag Heuer and is apparently an all-black 60s era chrono with Heuer branding.

Link to short video: TAG Heuer x HODINKEE https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wanna ... ed-edition
So I guess their IG post was just to help promote the new IWC watch. That explains why there was no mention of Hodinkee in the info leaked about the 3705 reissue.

Cabaiguan
Name: Raf

Post by Cabaiguan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:47 pm

I’m so confused.

That IWC at $15k is a no go for me.
"A ship of war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:36 am

I have no idea why you would make a $15,000 in house movement watch look like an uglier version of your old 7750 model. The 7750 layout sucks and people only used it was because it's cheap and robust.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:I have no idea why you would make a $15,000 in house movement watch look like an uglier version of your old 7750 model. The 7750 layout sucks and people only used it was because it's cheap and robust.
It’s not the mvt. My iwc Chrono had the In House cal for a hit more than 1/3 of this

This collab is just too $. The hour hand seems off too.

Their in house mvt has issues.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:36 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:I have no idea why you would make a $15,000 in house movement watch look like an uglier version of your old 7750 model. The 7750 layout sucks and people only used it was because it's cheap and robust.
It’s not the mvt. My iwc Chrono had the In House cal for a hit more than 1/3 of this

The numeral font is just so bad too. If you’re charging this much it needs to be totally right.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:06 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm

The numeral font is just so bad too. If you’re charging this much it needs to be totally right.
I agree on the numerals. I preferred the old style. Though even if they fixed that I’d be out. Just too much $ and I’d get their regular production ceramic Top Gun Chrono though it’s big for me.

goaliechris

Re: New Hodinkee Collaboration w/ TAG Heuer

Post by goaliechris » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 am

Title fixed.

Yeah, don’t like the numerals on the tribute. The whole thing feels just off. You know what people want? They want the 3705. Change something very minor, so the original remains special, but don’t f it all up.