Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Year End SOTC and next moves

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:03 am

Post messed up.

I’ll just say I’m very content these days.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Re: Year End SOTC and next moves

Post by jtbenson » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:20 am

:roll:

even hoppy's sotc post got withdrawn

:lol:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:25 am

jtbenson wrote::roll:

even hoppy's sotc post got withdrawn

It actually jumbled my post up and loaded multiples of photos. Tapatalk I guess.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am

59yukon01 wrote:My all Seiko hoard hasn't changed since February, and doubt it will for awhile.

Combination of being content and having another interest I'd rather spend money on.

While there are some nice looking new Seiko models released this year, none have made me want them more than what I already have.
Hookers and blow take lots of cashImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 am

Blaine wrote:Ended with these two I picked up this year. Have the Explorer II Polar 16570, Re-Issue CWC Chronograph and the Bulova Moon From my son. Still thinking on a SD16600Image

Awesome twosome there!

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:22 am

Captdave wrote:
Blaine wrote:Ended with these two I picked up this year. Have the Explorer II Polar 16570, Re-Issue CWC Chronograph and the Bulova Moon From my son. Still thinking on a SD16600Image

Awesome twosome there!

Thank you Dave!

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:54 am

Slow year due to COVID and other hobbies taking preference. Added the Seiko Willard (still have it and love it), Sinn 104 LE blue (awesome, but sold to Chris) and the Seiko Arnie (awesome beach/camping watch). Also sold the Seiko "King" Turtle. My usual rotation is 8 watches (not counting Gshocks), but I currently have 7, so in my mind I can add another one :lol:

Also bought and sold a couple of Gshocks, as I do every year.

For next year I want to add one of the new Seamasters, probably blue dial and a Seiko SPB143 or 185/7... those should wear great on natos. My initial plan was to add a vintage Speedmaster, but I honestly havent miss mine that much (sold on 2019 I think?). Unfortunately I also wanted to add back a Rolex ExpII, but Rolex prices are whack right now, not sure I will ever own one again at this point.

SOTC (no Gshocks included):

(Currently with a black bezel insert):

Last edited by Joeprez on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am

Joeprez wrote: Image
What watch is this?? Love it. Specs?

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am
Thanks!

Its a regular SRP777 with an orange minute hand from a Seiko SRPC49 (Ninja Turtle) and a Doxa style bezel insert from Dagaz.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 am

Joeprez wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am
Thanks!

Its a regular SRP777 with an orange minute hand from a Seiko SRPC49 (Ninja Turtle) and a Doxa style bezel insert from Dagaz.
Looks awesome! Dibs should you decide to move it. Been looking for another Turtle to beat around in.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:03 pm

rockmastermike wrote:As I have a few slots in the box remaining ......What's next w/ no time line:

Grand Seiko of some sort

BB58 Blue if I can find one

sell something to make room, lol
Joma has the blue BB58 on sale Image if you trust Joma on a Tudor Image
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm

JBZ wrote:Just the two pictured below plus a quartz Seiko for Brooks Brothers chronograph that was a gift from my parents (it has kind of a Patek or Lange vibe to it). I'd actually give it to one of my boys if either expressed interest.

Pretty happy with the small collection. I had a few come in and go out this year, but I finally decided to bite the bullet on the 14270 before prices go completely nuts (or nuttier, I guess). The 16570 has stayed with me for almost three years now, so I don't think it's likely to leave. The only thing I could see moving the 14270 for is a polar 16570, but even those are getting crazy expensive. There's nothing else I want that's in my price range unless I were to trade both of these.

I debated over adding the Explorer since I had the Explorer II Polar, but having the functionality of the Explorer II and white dial versus the simplicity of the black dial Explorer seemed to be the right combo. Both your examples are terrific. Enjoy!

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:03 pm
rockmastermike wrote:As I have a few slots in the box remaining ......What's next w/ no time line:

Grand Seiko of some sort

BB58 Blue if I can find one

sell something to make room, lol
Joma has the blue BB58 on sale Image if you trust Joma on a Tudor Image
I saw that one but would prefer an AD purchase on this one :pray:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Blaine wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm

I debated over adding the Explorer since I had the Explorer II Polar, but having the functionality of the Explorer II and white dial versus the simplicity of the black dial Explorer seemed to be the right combo. Both your examples are terrific. Enjoy!

If push came to shove, I'd sell the Explorer before the Explorer II, but that's because I prefer a date all things being equal. But the Explorer is such a classic, clean look. It's just a nice, simple, tough watch. And I think the only way the two watches really overlap in a collection is the name.

The 16600 is a great watch, but I'd struggle with giving up either the Explorer or the Explorer II to get one.

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:49 pm

JBZ wrote:
Blaine wrote:

If push came to shove, I'd sell the Explorer before the Explorer II, but that's because I prefer a date all things being equal. But the Explorer is such a classic, clean look. It's just a nice, simple, tough watch. And I think the only way the two watches really overlap in a collection is the name.

The 16600 is a great watch, but I'd struggle with giving up either the Explorer or the Explorer II to get one.
I know. Not sure why I have such a draw to the SD. Image

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:46 am

Blaine wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Blaine wrote:

I know. Not sure why I have such a draw to the SD. Image

The 116600 is my “one watch” if I had to choose one. Great size and I prefer the maxi case.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:55 am

Seppia wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:37 pm
tyd450 wrote:Image

I've been content with these three for awhile now. At some point I want to get one nice automatic diver again. I sold my Pelagos LHD awhile back and then eventually sold my SKX and a Bernhardt I had.

I know it sounds cliche but I'd like to just get one nice diver that I could keep "forever", the one that is my nice watch that when I take my final dirt nap in 40-50 years it will be something that my son will want to wear and would be worth paying to have serviced.

I like the looks of the new white waved dial Seamaster, but I just don't think that is going to age well, and I'm already not crazy about the styling of the bracelet.

The Pelagos is another option but I was hoping the might release a new model that is a little thinner if they use the movements they have in the BB58. I really liked the LHD I had but I'd probably just go with the standard black model if I got another one.

Then of course there is the Sub, and I really love the looks of the new model with the slimmer lugs. I'm not worried about the cost, but I just don't know if it would be a little too flashy for me with the shiny ceramic bezel and the stigma that can come along with wearing a Rolex. But then again, do most regular folks even notice the watch on your wrist? But then again, again, the people that do notice might be the people trying to steal it.... Lol. That brings me back to the Pelagos I think. I love the utilitarian look of it, and I really like titanium.
Congrats on a truly ERE collection :)
Get a 14060m or a BB58 and call it a day.
Makes me think I need to trim my collection, but I only brought to HK the watches I wear the most (BB58, 16570, 14060m) and these aren't going anywhere
Heh yeah you've got me on that one! I love everything about the BB58 but the size, I wish I could get that exact watch with the same thin case but in a 41 or 42mm. Granted, I've never tried one on or seen it in person but I just think a 39mm diver will be too small for my taste and size, I'm 6'5" and 250lbs with a 7.5" wrist . Maybe I should just save up for a new 41mm sub and call it a day. The pelagos with the brushed titanium and matte ceramic bezel is way more my style though. I just wish they could slim the case by a couple mm.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:23 am

andrema wrote: The 116600 is my “one watch” if I had to choose one. Great size and I prefer the maxi case.
:1:

:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:41 am

matt.wu wrote:
andrema wrote: The 116600 is my “one watch” if I had to choose one. Great size and I prefer the maxi case.

That Wu-mod :love:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:41 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:41 am
matt.wu wrote:

That Wu-mod :love:
:love: :thatshot:

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:40 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:23 am

The WU-Dweller reigns supreme. I agree, if it was "one", the sub (16800) I traded to get my 116600 would be it. Though it has the beefier case, not the maxi lugs.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Now 5 years since I got my WuMart 16800. I didn’t buy or sell any watches (or straps) this year. I’ve been wearing my Certina PH200 reissue and my Sub.

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:37 pm

I spent 2020 selling my watches and I'm down to one. I don't think I've been down to one watch in over 25 years. I thought I was going to have two watches but sold my MM300 yesterday in a local deal.

So, I'm down to a Tudor Hydronaut that I bought in near mint in 2010, sold to a friend (who never wore it) and then sold it back to me last month. I'm starting to realize that I could be happy with one watch as long as it checks off a few boxes.

This Hydronaut works for me as it's got good water resistance, thin enough to wear under a shirt cuff (11mm) but also works well with casual weekend clothes and seems to fly under the radar which I like. Plus I like the fact that I paid $1,100 USD for this watch and it shares a lot of style and size characteristics as vintage Tudor/Rolex Subs which are no longer in my price bracket.

The only downside to this watch is finding aftermarket straps that fit under the removable endlinks. Most are a bit too thick on the ends. I could remove the endlinks but I like the look of having no gap. This one runs +3/day on my winder.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Mr_Pacman wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:37 pm

I spent 2020 selling my watches and I'm down to one.
:clap:

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Might have to pare things down again- I’m likely going to be WFH for the next 6-12 months, if not indefinitely (if I have anything to do with it), as I have no plans to go back into the office unless forced, which is highly unlikely.

If I’m keeping anything, it will be my OG 2200.50 Planet Ocean XL, and everything else (minus a couple of super beaters- LumTec and Ares) will be moved along.