My latest acquisition San Martin 62MAS Homage

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

My latest acquisition San Martin 62MAS Homage

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 pm

It is a known fact that the San Martin company is churning out nicely made watches. Most of them might be homages but they are certainly nice watches no matter what they look like. Not only they are well put together and well finished, they also have what it feels like quality materials used and great lume. I had a couple already and I just received another one from a trade, this is the 62MAS version with the dark grey dial and no logo. It still has writing on the dial which I think is a nice touch. I had two other such watches and while each one was very nice and well made, this one surpasses both of the other ones. It is a feel perception, while holding, touching, handling the watch I can feel just nice edges and good tactile. Same for the moving parts, bezel and crown, smooth and well working. No uncertainties or roughness, at least on this watch that I currently have.

The bracelet is great too but a bit too heavy for this model in my opinion. The links could have been slimmer, 2/3 or even half the thickness and it would have worked just fine with the slim looking case. This is not a heavy and thick tool watch, more a refined and elegant one in my opinion. The lume paint is light green almost cream color, it is not one of the usual fake vintage but it seems to me much nicer and "real". It has a Seiko Automatic movement that hacks and hand winds, I guess it's the NH35 model similar to the one used in the new Seiko divers, Turtles, etc.

The sapphire crystal is awesomely domed, but in a vintage way, it keeps the center of the watch clean and readable while distorting the edge of the dial between the markers and the case. I don't mind and in fact I kind of like it. Hard to take pictures though, the reflections from the curvatures abounds and it is a PITA. At least for me and my limited skills.

It is about 40mm in diameter so it is not too large, it has nicely shaped and sizeable lugs though that in my opinion makes it wearable for larger wrists like mine. To each their own of course but If I had to summarize in a couple of words what I think about it, I could say that "I am very impressed".

Here are a few pics:
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg
IMG_3091.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Re: My latest acquisition San Martin 62MAS Homage

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 am

Nice write up and pics!

I find it strange that many of these watches were popular because they were affordables at the time, but now they are so luxury due to nostalgia.

Glad to see someone doing these at a normal price point. Thanks, buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:45 am

Hey my friend, it seems that most companies have increased their prices and especially for those models that could be popular raised them so much to make them luxury items. I don't usually do homages but I like this as a watch in its own right, meaning it is well made and nice quality. Good size and weight.

Here are a few more pics.

IMG_3098.jpg
IMG_3097.jpg
IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3092.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 am

Yeah, man oh man, what a fantastic look at, along with summary of this looker sir ! :excited:
First off, just your pictures are remarkable, and look so perfect it's not even funny
Carlo. :o :) You would almost swear they were renderings at times with the way
the watch is reflecting the light. Just the crystal, and dial look flawless, and you
want to spend all day long just diving into the details. It's stunning ! ..But it's the
same exact thing with the skin diver case with it's hypnotic finishes, and angles.

You really do come to the conclusion that the watch honestly couldn't be any nicer,
and seems to really be on par with anything else out there. Yup, definitely is one
to be impressed with ! :o The lume alone is worth the price of admission right?!!

Holy cowza Carlo, thanks so much for the great review, and HUGE congrats too !!!

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:32 am

Nice pick up, Carlo. I agree with that slim profile a chunky bracelet is out of place.
The Hapa

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Thank you Tom, it seems like you are just as excited as I am or even more... :grin:

The lume is really bright on this and long lasting. On par with the Sumo and close to the MM300... They did a really great job with that. :thumbsup:

martyloveswatches
Name: Martin

Post by martyloveswatches » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:14 am

I like the sterile dial look. All of these hommages (san martin, heimdallr, steeldive) are really offering quite a lot for the money

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koristeći Tapatalk

Marty

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am

I always wonder if San Martin is a case manufacturer for Seiko and others?
Watch collector since 1989

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:35 am

kempoman wrote:I always wonder if San Martin is a case manufacturer for Seiko and others?
I thought seiko did everything in house.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 am

Congrats, looks great and nice strap choice. :cheers:

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:26 am

That's a cool looking watch Carlo and a brand I've not heard of before.
Just had a look on their website, found one I like a lot and compared prices with the original, wow, I know where I'll be buying a Marinemaster from :thumbsup:
Andy :uj:

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:57 am

Thank you guys.

I am not sure if San Martin makes cases for Seiko but I am sure Seiko source parts from other companies, Singapore, Malaysia to name a couple of locations where they have factories.

I have had a few watches from different such companies like Hemdaillr, Steel Dive, Ticino, they certainly are nice, the two watches I had from San Martin were a little above in quality and looks. Each one had awesome lume too. The MM300 homage always intrigued me but I never had a chance to get one. But I read great things about it.

I might get another one of these... :grin:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:03 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:36 pm
Thank you Tom, it seems like you are just as excited as I am or even more... :grin:

The lume is really bright on this and long lasting. On par with the Sumo and close to the MM300... They did a really great job with that. :thumbsup:

:lol: :thumbsup: Don't mention it Carlo ! It really is some kind of watch, and is proven
so by you comparing it to those Seikos lume wise. 8-) Actually looks electrified !
Think it's astonishing sir, and that actually goes for the whole watch once again.

Unbelievably nice find, and pick-up. Enjoy !!!

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:17 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:35 am
kempoman wrote:I always wonder if San Martin is a case manufacturer for Seiko and others?
I thought seiko did everything in house.
I read from other Seiko forums they are outsourced even high end Prospex series. I am pretty sure the lower end like SKX or Seiko 5 are Asian made cases and movements many decades ago.
May be others can shed the light.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:29 pm

This looks fantastic. I’d love to try one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm

kempoman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am
if they were I do not believe they would be allowed to sell the case independently.

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:39 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm
kempoman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am
if they were I do not believe they would be allowed to sell the case independently.
I would guess they used to be but not anymore now. Givent he impression San Martin cases near 1:1 copy to Seiko, Oris etc. I would further guess they could even possible own the cases blueprint.
I look forward to some others review on San Martin and Seiko cases 1:1 differences, if any.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:12 am

Nice looking watch. I was interested in a San Martin SKX homage yesterday, but turns out the case back was beat to shit. I don't understand why guys don't take care of new watches. For instance, when changing straps, take the time to tape off the freakin' lugs instead of leaving marks and scratches everywhere. Also, if you're going to open the case, maybe use a correct opener that won't slip. Maybe crazy, but these are pet peeves of mine, and I've passed on many otherwise nice watches because of them.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am

Steve O. wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:12 am
Nice looking watch. I was interested in a San Martin SKX homage yesterday, but turns out the case back was beat to shit. I don't understand why guys don't take care of new watches. For instance, when changing straps, take the time to tape off the freakin' lugs instead of leaving marks and scratches everywhere. Also, if you're going to open the case, maybe use a correct opener that won't slip. Maybe crazy, but these are pet peeves of mine, and I've passed on many otherwise nice watches because of them.
Yes, some people certainly are more careless then others. I found out that one of the reason for some of the "mistakes" in working on watches is due to poor eyesight. I made a few mistakes myself damaging hands or other parts and I did it only because I could not see clearly the area I was working on. Same for changing the straps, people can't see or focus properly on the small area and the tool goes all over the place. I actually got and have been using some cheap magnifying goggles that totally handle the problem for me. Now I can focus my old eyes and be more certain to not slip or scratch unwanted parts. It might not be 100% but it certainly helped 85% of my work... :grin: :thumbsup:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am
Steve O. wrote:
Yes, some people certainly are more careless then others. I found out that one of the reason for some of the "mistakes" in working on watches is due to poor eyesight. I made a few mistakes myself damaging hands or other parts and I did it only because I could not see clearly the area I was working on. Same for changing the straps, people can't see or focus properly on the small area and the tool goes all over the place. I actually got and have been using some cheap magnifying goggles that totally handle the problem for me. Now I can focus my old eyes and be more certain to not slip or scratch unwanted parts. It might not be 100% but it certainly helped 85% of my work... :grin: :thumbsup:
I'm in the same boat. That's why I use strong reading glasses and/or watchmaker's goggles with magnification. Helps tons. :grin:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am
CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am
Steve O. wrote:
I'm in the same boat. That's why I use strong reading glasses and/or watchmaker's goggles with magnification. Helps tons. :grin:
The worse was that I did not realize it until I actually tried using them... after that it was like Night and day difference... :grin: