New Benrus Type I

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Re: New Benrus Type I

Post by River Rat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:41 am

Hopefully they do a better job on this than when they messed up the remake of the Benrus Skychief . Lucky I got into the game when the vintage ones were affordable paid 500 less than the remake. But it does look better than the skychief that looks nothing but a cheap copy.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:02 pm
Also noticed Benrus gives a 15% discount for military/LEO/First Responders. Hopefully it applies to this when released. I was approved in minutes. I assume if you qualify for GovX you’d qualify for their discount.
Mine worked. If the watch is worth two shits hopefully they’ll accept the discount code.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:27 am

It’s finally here- and much to my dismay it’s $700 too much and only available through hodonkee.
Much disappointment.

Looks great but with that price I’m sticking with MKii.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:34 am

I really want it...but can't swing that (inflated) price right now.
- Todd

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 am

The price doesn't seem out of line IMO. Not sure why it's overpriced at $1695 when something like a Doxa Sub 300 at $2450 isn't :scratch:

The watch is assembled in the US and part of the proceeds go to a foundation that helps combat veterans deal with PTSD :clap:

The watch carries an additional year of warranty when purchased from Hodinkee so there's some advantage to purchasing from them. It'll apparently be available elsewhere at some point.

I'm not in the market for a watch right now but if I were I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:00 am

Looks real nice. Decisions :think:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:01 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 am
The price doesn't seem out of line IMO. Not sure why it's overpriced at $1695 when something like a Doxa Sub 300 at $2450 isn't :scratch:

The watch is assembled in the US and part of the proceeds go to a foundation that helps military veterans deal with PTSD :clap:

The watch carries an additional year of warranty when purchased from Hodinkee so there's some advantage to purchasing from them. It'll apparently be available elsewhere at some point.

I'm not in the market for a watch right now but if I were I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.
Without the Hodinkee premium, it'd be $1000 or less. I find it ironic that they've been marketing the shit out of this toward veterans and advertising a discount on their site, but then they pull the dick move of releasing it in a venue that doesn't offer any sort of military discounts. Lame. As for proceeds being released to help vets, specify the amount. For all we know, it could be as little as $1 per watch sold.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:02 am

logan2z wrote:The price doesn't seem out of line IMO. Not sure why it's overpriced at $1695 when something like a Doxa Sub 300 at $2450 isn't :scratch:

The watch is assembled in the US and part of the proceeds go to a foundation that helps combat veterans deal with PTSD :clap:

That’s cool about some of the cash going to vets- didn’t see that.
Warranty? Yeah sure it sounds great but I don’t see how an extended warranty on a no date watch with an ETA actually matters.

But yep I think it’s overpriced for what it is.
Benrus... tell me what they have done in the past xx years to sell a plain 3 hand watch for this price?

We could argue about this, I see your point though. Doxa has a name deep in diving roots. Modern Benrus has been trying to sell overpriced turds for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:09 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:01 am
logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 am

The watch is assembled in the US and part of the proceeds go to a foundation that helps military veterans deal with PTSD :clap:

Without the Hodinkee premium, it'd be $1000 or less. I find it ironic that they've been marketing the shit out of this toward veterans and advertising a discount on their site, but then they pull the dick move of releasing it in a venue that doesn't offer any sort of military discounts. Lame. As for proceeds being released to help vets, specify the amount. For all we know, it could be as little as $1 per watch sold.
I don't believe there is a Hodinkee premium or that they will be the only retailer, just the first. Although being limited to 1000 pcs, I'm not sure how the watches will be allocated. Could be 900 Hodinkee, 100 everyone else :shrug: But I'm quite sure the price will be the same no matter where it's sold.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:20 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:02 am
Doxa has a name deep in diving roots. Modern Benrus has been trying to sell overpriced turds for a while.
Neither company bears any relationship to their namesake - modern Doxa is no more 'historical' than modern Benrus. And aside from the Sub, Doxa peddles all kinds of cheap crap in other markets.

Given the competition, I don't think $1695 is a crazy price for the Benrus, assuming it's well made - which I assume it is or Hodinkee probably wouldn't have touched it.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

New Benrus Type I

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 am

logan2z wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:02 am
Doxa has a name deep in diving roots. Modern Benrus has been trying to sell overpriced turds for a while.
Neither company bears any relationship to their namesake - modern Doxa is no more 'historical' than modern Benrus. And aside from the Sub, Doxa peddles all kinds of cheap crap in other markets.

Given the competition, I don't think $1695 is a crazy price for the Benrus, assuming it's we'll made - which I assume it is or Hodinkee probably wouldn't have touched it.
I see.
Trust me- I’d love to grab one. They look great and I’m always a sucker for the original Benrus asymmetrical case. Not hating the watch- just the price and hodikee connection which came out of nowhere.

It’s a homage of the original, so is MKii. I just don’t see why anyone would spend $800 more than this:

And I know Bill at MKii service does solid work. He’s even suggested Terry to me for a few things.
EDIT: Jim at MKii service

Last edited by BBK357 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:10 am

werd ben

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:12 am

A better look on IG tonight.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 am

Personally I have to say that I much prefer the MKII version to the new Benrus. Not just the price but the looks and especially movement. I have not been lucky with Swiss movements but had almost no problems with Seiko's. Actually in proportion Swiss ETA gave me 200% more problems then Seiko.

Price wise they are both steep for what they are, I guess the Benrus is a "Military General Luxury watch" with a price that high.

MKII Paradive price is still high for me, however at about half it is a much better choice. Not that I can afford either one at the moment but this would be my preference.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 am

Sad thing I paid a 1000 for a real one back in the good old days when it was cheaper to buy vintage. Cheaper than the remake miss those days.Think they could of did a better job on the bezel on a real one the numbers have a 3D look they screwed up there.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:34 am

FYI, I emailed Benrus about getting the military discount for the new Type 1 and they will honor it. I don't want to post their email reply on a public forum, but if anyone is eligible for the discount and interested PM me and I'll share the information.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 am

logan2z wrote:FYI, I emailed Benrus about getting the military discount for the new Type 1 and they will honor it. I don't want to post their email reply on a public forum, but if anyone is eligible for the discount and interested PM me and I'll share the information.
That’s good of them

DEATH FROM ABOVE

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am

And there stupid for just selling at Hodinkee some collectors avoid buying any thing from them. I bet they would sell more from there own web site.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am

When it comes down to the final product, it’ll be small features and accents that make the difference.
How black the dial is and what a person prefers, the bezel action, crown...
I’ll say that the only complaint I have about the Paradive is crown is tucked away into the case a little much for my fingers. I’d prefer a bigger crown.
The Paradive has more of a matte black that is not as dark. The Blackwater has a deeper black dial. You can see in this pic.
So I’d love to get my hands on a new Benrus and compare.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am

River Rat wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am
And there stupid for just selling at Hodinkee some collectors avoid buying any thing from them. I bet they would sell more from there own web site.
You might be right. I'd be surprised if the typical Hodinkee reader is into a watch like this and military watch collectors probably aren't Hodinkee's typical demographic.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:47 am

The blackwater was close to original size and no dot on the bezel so more like the original. Use to own a blackwater was so easy to resale after I got a original some one PM me asking to buy it before I even posted to sale it since copies don't last long with me after I get a original.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 am
logan2z wrote:FYI, I emailed Benrus about getting the military discount for the new Type 1 and they will honor it. I don't want to post their email reply on a public forum, but if anyone is eligible for the discount and interested PM me and I'll share the information.
That’s good of them

I thought so.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

New Benrus Type I

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 am

I’ve owned the original MKII Paradive and the Gen3 version.

As I recall, the original Paradive was $1595 but did run the ETA movement and had the engraved aluminum bezel. While we all know about dealing with Yao, the watch was solid, bezel was fantastic, and it felt like a quality piece.

The Gen3 Paradive was just ok IMO. I do think it’s worth the price they sell for, but the Seiko movement isn’t as accurate and the bezel is just an aluminum insert, not the nicer engraved bezel. That Gen3 bezel action isn’t as precise as the original Paradive (I send mine in for adjustment when I got it).

On the plus side, both Paradive models had drilled lugs.

This new Benrus appears to have the anodized, engraved bezel like the OG and I like that. In fact, I like about it except that it doesn’t have drilled lugs. Since I only wear natos is install some shoulderless spring bars to get the same effect, since they are easily shipped out if needed.

The price seems in like with the original Paradive and I too like that a portion goes to a good cause.

I have ordered, but will immediately return if it’s not perfect.

Edit: I notice the Hodinkee limited edition says this is the “first” place it will be available, so it will likely show up in regular sale down the road. I’d imagine $1495 for the non-LE model, which would be in line with the original Paradive. I don’t mind paying a little more to get the LE, especially with the donation aspect.

We shall see....

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm

River Rat wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am
I know it's an unfair bias, but Hodinkee gives me the Douche Chills for some reason.

Are you sure they're only available through Hodinkee?

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 pm

River Rat wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:47 am
The blackwater was close to original size and no dot on the bezel so more like the original. Use to own a blackwater was so easy to resale after I got a original some one PM me asking to buy it before I even posted to sale it since copies don't last long with me after I get a original.
This is part of my hesitation as well: How much of the desirability of this watch is its design, and how much is due to its associations/heritage? Its an easy question on an original, but gets murkier when looking at a replica. I too like this simple, clean design but get a nagging when I look at my wrist and realize its a copy. The original Blackwater (worst name ever) and Paradive both have great quality, and I suspect that the Hemlig will be a homerun version too, but still are all just replicas of an icon
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”