streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New Benrus Type I

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:18 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 am
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 am
logan2z wrote:FYI, I emailed Benrus about getting the military discount for the new Type 1 and they will honor it. I don't want to post their email reply on a public forum, but if anyone is eligible for the discount and interested PM me and I'll share the information.
That’s good of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought so.
Indeed. I wonder why they didn't make that more clear.

I am probably just jaded in watch MSRP in general. Each new watch that catches my interest makes my jaw hit the ground when I see the price. Seeing what these will sell for sure does make the Hemlig out to be a bargain.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:58 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 am
The watch is assembled in the US and part of the proceeds go to a foundation that helps combat veterans deal with PTSD :clap:
Bulova is giving to the veteran watchmakers group https://www.bulova.com/us/en/veterans-watchmaker.html

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:08 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am
River Rat wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am
And there stupid for just selling at Hodinkee some collectors avoid buying any thing from them. I bet they would sell more from there own web site.
You might be right. I'd be surprised if the typical Hodinkee reader is into a watch like this and military watch collectors probably aren't Hodinkee's typical demographic.
you will be surprised. they can sell about anything. and this watch is one a lot of people have been waiting for.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:31 pm

At the asking price from Hodinke, I would want it to have a bezel insert like the original, or sapphire.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I’ve owned the original MKII Paradive and the Gen3 version.

As I recall, the original Paradive was $1595 but did run the ETA movement and had the engraved aluminum bezel. While we all know about dealing with Yao, the watch was solid, bezel was fantastic, and it felt like a quality piece.

The Gen3 Paradive was just ok IMO. I do think it’s worth the price they sell for, but the Seiko movement isn’t as accurate and the bezel is just an aluminum insert, not the nicer engraved bezel. That Gen3 bezel action isn’t as precise as the original Paradive (I send mine in for adjustment when I got it).

On the plus side, both Paradive models had drilled lugs.

This new Benrus appears to have the anodized, engraved bezel like the OG and I like that. In fact, I like about it except that it doesn’t have drilled lugs. Since I only wear natos is install some shoulderless spring bars to get the same effect, since they are easily shipped out if needed.

The price seems in like with the original Paradive and I too like that a portion goes to a good cause.

I have ordered, but will immediately return if it’s not perfect.

Edit: I notice the Hodinkee limited edition says this is the “first” place it will be available, so it will likely show up in regular sale down the road. I’d imagine $1495 for the non-LE model, which would be in line with the original Paradive. I don’t mind paying a little more to get the LE, especially with the donation aspect.

We shall see....

Wait a minute....

So this is an LE from donkey, and a non LE will be sold later ?

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Selym wrote:
River Rat wrote:
And there stupid for just selling at Hodinkee some collectors avoid buying any thing from them. I bet they would sell more from there own web site.
I know it's an unfair bias, but Hodinkee gives me the Douche Chills for some reason.

Are you sure they're only available through Hodinkee?
I’m taking care of your baby.....
thanks again!

DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm

gonzomantis wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:31 pm
At the asking price from Hodinke, I would want it to have a bezel insert like the original, or sapphire.
isn't the original something like a bakelite version? that shit is fragile but looks cool

gonzomantis

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
gonzomantis wrote:
isn't the original something like a bakelite version? that shit is fragile but looks cool
Something like that. May be fragile, but all pics I see of vintage ones show the insert in tact. :shrug:

Besides, it looks super cool. :fro:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm

gonzomantis wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:41 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm
gonzomantis wrote:
Something like that. May be fragile, but all pics I see of vintage ones show the insert in tact. :shrug:

Besides, it looks super cool. :fro:
it does look. hell i personally would want a engraved one or tin.

i was thinking a bakelite version would be a qc nightmare.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:08 pm
logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am
River Rat wrote:
You might be right. I'd be surprised if the typical Hodinkee reader is into a watch like this and military watch collectors probably aren't Hodinkee's typical demographic.
you will be surprised. they can sell about anything. and this watch is one a lot of people have been waiting for.
I guess we'll see. Not clear how many they got but they're not sold out yet.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:16 pm

I’ve heard the original is like an acrylic bake light with lumed numbers.
Impossible to find and easily breakable.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:19 pm

As I recall, the original Paradive was $1595 but did run the ETA movement and had the engraved aluminum bezel. While we all know about dealing with Yao, the watch was solid, bezel was fantastic, and it felt like a quality piece.

The Gen3 Paradive was just ok IMO. I do think it’s worth the price they sell for, but the Seiko movement isn’t as accurate and the bezel is just an aluminum insert, not the nicer engraved bezel. That Gen3 bezel action isn’t as precise as the original Paradive (I send mine in for adjustment when I got it).

This new Benrus appears to have the anodized, engraved bezel like the OG and I like that. In fact, I like about it except that it doesn’t have drilled lugs. Since I only wear natos is install some shoulderless spring bars to get the same effect, since they are easily shipped out if needed.

The price seems in like with the original Paradive and I too like that a portion goes to a good cause.

Edit: I notice the Hodinkee limited edition says this is the “first” place it will be available, so it will likely show up in regular sale down the road. I’d imagine $1495 for the non-LE model, which would be in line with the original Paradive. I don’t mind paying a little more to get the LE, especially with the donation aspect.

We shall see....
Another thing Hop- earlier in the year the click spring broke on the Paradive. I sent it in to mkii and Jim fixed it for $35. It’s now way tighter and clicks perfect- very much like a fine tuned Seiko bezel action.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 pm

BBK357 wrote:

We shall see....
Another thing Hop- earlier in the year the click spring broke on the Paradive. I sent it in to mkii and Jim fixed it for $35. It’s now way tighter and clicks perfect- very much like a fine tuned Seiko bezel action.

What’s funny about that is I did the same thing when I got it. I thought the bezel was too loose, so I sent it in and the replaced the spring and adjusted firmness. That doesn’t speak well for Yao’s quality control.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 pm
BBK357 wrote:

We shall see....

What’s funny about that is I did the same thing when I got it. I thought the bezel was too loose, so I sent it in and the replaced the spring and adjusted firmness. That doesn’t speak well for Yao’s quality control.
he only cares about the hands :roll:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

We shall see....

:lol:

He might have experienced a fist before too.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:18 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

We shall see....

MK II fanbois are all about hands.

No, it's not Tourettes.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:26 pm

ChuckW wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:18 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

We shall see....

MK II fanbois are all about hands.

hahahaha

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:58 am

Damn...
Last edited by demer03 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 am

Ordered
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:19 pm

demer03 wrote:Ordered
Nice

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Didn’t take long for the first asshole to crawl out of the woodwork.

Selling a watch he doesn’t even have in hand- of course that’s not mentioned in the description. Using Hidinkee pics... and $400 more.
Asshole.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:26 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Didn’t take long for the first asshole to crawl out of the woodwork.

Selling a watch he doesn’t even have in hand- of course that’s not mentioned in the description. Using Hidinkee pics... and $400 more.
Asshole.

Not sure why anyone would pay over retail at this point, the watch isn't sold out.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:53 pm

demer03 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 am
Ordered
Dibs on this Mike!
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

hoppyjr
HJ