the exit watch

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dinexus
Name: Zach

the exit watch

Post by dinexus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:12 pm

I think it's gonna be one of these two. Not looking to totally quit watches or the community or anything, I've just gotten to a point where I want to take a break from the buy/sell/buy/sell cycle and just chill for awhile. Plus, nothing that's been released this year has had me clutching my pearls in anticipation. Anybody else a little worn out on the treadmill?

nweash
Name: Nick

Re: the exit watch

Post by nweash » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Well i said my BPFF was gonna be my exit watch 5 years ago. Still buying.

Can’t complain about the FF except it’s a big watch at 45mm but still manageable with a L2L of 50mm.
The bezel claws on these are prone to wear out. I’m on my second and I barely ever used it. (Their service dept is great though with a cool website login and up to date info on the service)

I’ve had 4 Panerai. All sold.

The green dials look great but if you’re a strap whore it can be real limiting. They only look good with green and black straps IMO.

The solid steel submersible bezels are beautiful scratch magnets. I really want a 683 for that reason. Smaller size with ceramic bezel insert.

Again this is all JMHO.

Definitely feeling the flipping fatigue. Got down to 1 purchase a year or less. Feels a lot better. Absolutely nothing on my radar unless the 683 ever becomes dirt cheap.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Hope it works, my first exit was a number of years ago.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:57 pm

my exit watch would be some simple and carefree. maybe a g-shock, freestyle or a basic seiko 7548. easy fix

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:11 pm

I've tried so many times and to no avail. However I definitely am tiring of the carousel. I think I'm going to cut a couple of Rolex soon and try (again) to stop the cycle.

Good luck with your choice!

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:40 pm

nweash wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:43 pm
Well i said my BPFF was gonna be my exit watch 5 years ago. Still buying.
Well shit :lol:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Fail. Not iconic enough... must try bigger for end game.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:51 pm

My exit watch will either be a vintage red Sub or an AP RO. But both are astronomically expensive right now. I have a few I can sell to fund but would still need some cash to do so.

Until then, still on the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:55 pm

There’s no such thing as an exit watch. Ask me why...

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:55 pm
There’s no such thing as an exit watch. Ask me why...
I mean, I think a lot of guys get attached to the concept as something so unattainable that there's nowhere else to go. For me, it's definitely something that hurts a little, but at the same time, something that'll just keep me from reaching for anything else. I'm not a Rolex guy, and I do love the Panerai green, and I've always wanted a FF, so here we are.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:31 pm

I’m not sure about exit watch, I don’t think it’s possible for me personally.
However I’m working on my exit collection and I’m only a watch or two away. Of course things change and Rolex might make a 42mm SubC ND with normal lugs or IWC makes a Ceramic chronograph in size 42 or JLC decides to make a proper diver or or... its hopeless

johnh1265

Post by johnh1265 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:32 pm

There’s a pretty good deal for a BPFF on Chrono24,negotiable as well.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:51 pm

I always aspire to it. I’ve definitely slowed on the hamster wheel (at least by my standards) over the last couple years.

I have been thinking the same more seriously again lately. Not to quit watches completely, but to have a core two-watch keeper collection with maybe some spare fun-money for a rotating 1-3 “watch rental” spot in the box, since there will always be some things I want to just experience for a little while on a whim.

For me, I was consolidating into a Duometre originally to go with the Extreme Lab, but I really don’t think I’d wear it enough.

I’m thinking I may sell the JLCs and go for a Patek 5990 for daily wear and keep my 116600 Wu-mod for a “beater”.

I have always regretted selling my blue 5980...

:htfu:

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 pm

I have a feeling my exit watch will end up being something super lame or inexpensive or both, because the only way I'd stop completely is if I'm just over watches. I used to say rolex, but the prices went insane I'd always be tempted to sell. Maybe a GMT 16700 since I have it already.

For now though I think I'm happy enough with my 7pc collection that I can just sit it out on the bench for a good long while.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm

I like how you’re thinking Matt, but I’d be fine with a 5711 white dial and the Sea-Dweller, with maybe a Seiko for nato duty.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:39 am

I'm not sure. Right now I have 3 watches. Explorer II 16570 black dial, Tudor Black Bay 41 blue dial, and a relatively inexpensive Brooks Bros branded Seiko chronograph (quartz movement) that I never wear.

I've had the Explorer II for something like 2 1/2 years, so I don't think it's going anywhere. I wear it all the time. It's basically everything I want in a watch. Great, reliable movement, can be dressed up or down, bracelet, and date. Great size for me at 40mm, and the GMT function is a nice bonus. I'd love for it to come with the more modern bracelet, but I tried the 216570, and I just found it a bit too large for me.

I'm not sure on the Black Bay. It's nice, but the no date thing always ends up being an issue for me. I was thinking maybe trade up to a Datejust if I can find one I like and that's in my price range. I also think about the Tudor BB GMT from time to time, but I'm not sure if it would stick. I had a Tag pepsi GMT and it just wasn't for me, but the Tudor is smaller and the colors are a bit more subtle.

What I'd really like is a polar 16570 to go along with the black, but the prices are just ridiculous, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think I could probably be satisfied with the polar/black Explorer II combo.

I'd sell the Brooks Bros chrono, but I doubt there'd be much interest. Maybe one of my boys will want it at some point.

Beyond that, not much is catching my eye at the moment.

Unless my financial situation changed so that I could afford multiple higher end pieces, which would be fun, I'm pretty happy with two nice watches. Every time I purchase something more affordable like a Hamilton or a Seiko to add to the collection, they never stick.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am

I'm not certain I'd be happy with a high dollar aspirational "exit watch" to be honest. As I look at my daily wear watches, I tend to find myself wearing sub-$2K watches quite a bit and enjoying them. Knowing me, I'd be too worried about damaging a high dollar piece to wear it doing the stuff I love to do.

I'm also amazed at what is available today in "affordable" watches that used to only be available in higher-end pieces. For example, I'm just now looking at the new Mido Ocean Star GMT diver. It offers a jump hour GMT with a 24 hour scale on the rehaut, a ceramic bezel insert with a diver's elapsed time scale, AR coated sapphire, and a movement with an 80 hour power reserve. All this for about $1K.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am
I'm not certain I'd be happy with a high dollar aspirational "exit watch" to be honest. As I look at my daily wear watches, I tend to find myself wearing sub-$2K watches quite a bit and enjoying them. Knowing me, I'd be too worried about damaging a high dollar piece to wear it doing the stuff I love to do.

I'm also amazed at what is available today in "affordable" watches that used to only be available in higher-end pieces. For example, I'm just now looking at the new Mido Ocean Star GMT diver. It offers a jump hour GMT with a 24 hour scale on the rehaut, a ceramic bezel insert with a diver's elapsed time scale, AR coated sapphire, and a movement with an 80 hour power reserve. All this for about $1K.
That's a great looking watch.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:17 am

dinexus wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:12 pm

I think it's gonna be one of these two. Not looking to totally quit watches or the community or anything, I've just gotten to a point where I want to take a break from the buy/sell/buy/sell cycle and just chill for awhile. Plus, nothing that's been released this year has had me clutching my pearls in anticipation. Anybody else a little worn out on the treadmill?
FF is a great watch, but in SS, it's uncomfortably heavy on the bracelet IMO. Did they make a bracelet for the Ti version?

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 am

There is no exit watch. Either the sickness fades or the madness just continues. I guess there is a third option “goes on hold” for when income is lacking.
The Hapa

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 am

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:17 am

FF is a great watch, but in SS, it's uncomfortably heavy on the bracelet IMO. Did they make a bracelet for the Ti version?

40mm steel version on x71 is pretty comfy
and yes, black dial ti grande date is available on ti bracelet

monochrome did a great write up on it: bpffti

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 am

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am

That's a great looking watch.
totally agree.
love the alpha-ish (reminiscent of the jlc mc line) handset on the new one.
would like to see the two tone in some real life pics to gauge the shade of gold.
favor the black/orange one, but wish it had the white hour numerals on the rehaut like the black/blue version.
really nice release

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 am
I guess there is a third option “goes on hold” for when income is lacking.
That's the phase I'm currently in.

I've been funneling some disposable funds into another hobby and don't have any watches that I'm willing to part with, so I'm in a holding pattern watch-wise at the moment. I do have a few watches on my radar, though, so I don't expect this phase to last indefinitely.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 am

mattcantwin wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:48 pm
Hope it works, my first exit was a number of years ago.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 am

#watchrehab
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.