the exit watch

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
unsub073
Name: chris

Re: the exit watch

Post by unsub073 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 am

If/when I can get down to a floating 10, I would be happy. Just to lazy to make that a reality right now.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:36 am

mattcantwin wrote:I could have made a nice exit with these six watches.

Agreed.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:15 am

JBZ wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:00 am
Then I shared the price with her. :lol:
Always round down to the nearest $10,000... then divide that number by 50% before sharing.

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am

I'm looking at this question in a slightly different way. Last watch I'll ever own? Well suppose we live into our 80's or hopefully 90's, our wrists aren't going to be the thick manly wrists we have now and I can't imagine being able to wear my Stowa Prodiver, it's big & heavy.
Also, on the morbid side, a lot of widows wear their late husbands watch, can you imagine a little old lady being able to wear any of your current collection? So looking at the question in that light, I'd say that at the moment my exit watch would be my Speedmaster.
She'll probably sell it when I peg out anyway :lol:
Andy :uj:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

the exit watch

Post by BBK357 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Did not read the posts in this thread but I saw the title and I can tell you right now 95% of you are full of shit and the other 5% prob said something like “no such thing as exit watch”.

If there was an exit watch you guys would not be here you would be on the reddit “m4m”, “looking for bull for my wife” or “crocks” sub forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm

The buy/sell/trade cycle is part of the game and the hobby. In fact to some the "search" is more entertaining then the achievement. If you think about it, once you have the watch you wanted, you have nothing else to do other then wear it... pretty boring. Especially if you have to look at the same one day after day for a long time... :lol:

Of course some people don't mind or care but I think that's where the hobby comes in, to give a little variation and small happiness in these moments when you move your wrist closer to your eyes.. :grin:

I think somehow you ran out of the game and so you are bored with it. :shrug:

In truth it is possible these days that trying to sell something one kind of have some negative thoughts... :mrgreen: but let me assure you, all you have to do is to find someone who can agree with you and your watch and buy/trade it. :grin: :thumbsup:

Either of your choices is awesome, way more then I can afford, but I am happy for you, if that works out. :grin:

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:46 pm

BBK357 wrote:Did not read the posts in this thread but I saw the title and I can tell you right now 95% of you are full of shit and the other 5% prob said something like “no such thing as exit watch”.

If there was an exit watch you guys would not be here you would be on the reddit “m4m”, “looking for bull for my wife” or “crocks” sub forums.

LOLLLLLLLLZ!!!! Looking for the bull and Cucks is basically the same thing. So fucking funny, dude!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 pm
Did not read the posts in this thread but I saw the title and I can tell you right now 95% of you are full of shit and the other 5% prob said something like “no such thing as exit watch”.

Fuck off and buy some handlebars.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:09 pm

JBZ wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Fuck off and buy some handlebars.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 am

snootydog wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am
I'm looking at this question in a slightly different way. Last watch I'll ever own?
As long as I don't die suddenly, or go nuts, I've always said that would be my 16600. It's not the most valuable, or rare watch by any means, but it's classy, versatile, accurate, robust and just the right size.
Andy

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:23 am

andy tims wrote:
snootydog wrote:
I'm looking at this question in a slightly different way. Last watch I'll ever own?
As long as I don't die suddenly, or go nuts, I've always said that would be my 16600. It's not the most valuable, or rare watch by any means, but it's classy, versatile, accurate, robust and just the right size.
X2 on this...well at least for today

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:28 am

andy tims wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 am
snootydog wrote:
This is where I ended up as well.... although it is currently locked in a safe as my partners and I recently did some staff reductions and I am paranoid about wearing a Rolex in the office. Like many, I always thought I would get to one nice watch, but have found that a small collection is better for various reasons.

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:50 pm

dnslater wrote:
andy tims wrote:
snootydog wrote:
This is where I ended up as well.... although it is currently locked in a safe as my partners and I recently did some staff reductions and I am paranoid about wearing a Rolex in the office. Like many, I always thought I would get to one nice watch, but have found that a small collection is better for various reasons.
Do you not insure your watches...?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:50 pm
dnslater wrote:
andy tims wrote:
snootydog wrote:
Do you not insure your watches...?
I think he's referencing the perception rather than the risk of theft.
:htfu:

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Ahh. Makes sense.

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 pm

If I ever find (and have money for) a Rolex 16750 Pepsi matte dial AND a Rolex Daytona 116500LN then I'm out. Those will be my next two purchases and my last two purchases. It's a fun hobby but at some point you have to ... wind down.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:57 pm

ncstate1201 wrote:
andy tims wrote:
snootydog wrote:
X2 on this...well at least for today

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have one and it will never go anywhere. It is my “if I have to sell everything and go to one watch” watch.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 am

16600 is my favorite watch ever. But for me, it has been the opposite of an exit watch. It was my entrance watch, the first nice watch I ever purchased, and the one which got me into this crazy hobby many years ago.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:30 am

I found out many years ago that there is no such thing as an exit watch. :snooty:

3migo
Name: Russell

Post by 3migo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:58 am

For me, my "exit watches" kinda came around naturally. I found I was consistently wearing two watches the most, and despite owning those watches for a multi year period, I didn't tire of them.

So I decided to sell off the others aside from a couple sentimental pieces. And now, I have my two primary watches, a gshock, and a few sentimental pieces from travel/gifts.

I don't know if it'll last forever, but for now, I'm happy and I don't feel the need to hop back on the buy/sell treadmill.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm
The buy/sell/trade cycle is part of the game and the hobby. In fact to some the "search" is more entertaining then the achievement. If you think about it, once you have the watch you wanted, you have nothing else to do other then wear it... pretty boring. Especially if you have to look at the same one day after day for a long time... :lol:

Of course some people don't mind or care but I think that's where the hobby comes in, to give a little variation and small happiness in these moments when you move your wrist closer to your eyes.. :grin:

In truth it is possible these days that trying to sell something one kind of have some negative thoughts... :mrgreen: but let me assure you, all you have to do is to find someone who can agree with you and your watch and buy/trade it. :grin: :thumbsup:

Either of your choices is awesome, way more then I can afford, but I am happy for you, if that works out. :grin:
You hit the nail on the head with the first paragraph. That search didn’t end in letdown often once the watch arrived, but the thrill in comparison to the acquisition was less. That’s what made it feel like a sickness. I just don’t even think like that anymore, but I don’t know if I got tired of it or if that went away for the most part when I stopped allowing myself to impulse buy. My last true impulse buy was more than a year ago now, even then I had slowed down drastically by that point. It’s especially apparent when the watch arrives and it’s one I’ve bought multiple times over and I finally recall why I sold them in the first place.

I wish the hobby made sense.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 am

My exit watch will probably be whatever Seiko I'm wearing the day I kick the bucket.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am
CarloDWC wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm

You hit the nail on the head with the first paragraph. That search didn’t end in letdown often once the watch arrived, but the thrill in comparison to the acquisition was less. That’s what made it feel like a sickness. I just don’t even think like that anymore, but I don’t know if I got tired of it or if that went away for the most part when I stopped allowing myself to impulse buy. My last true impulse buy was more than a year ago now, even then I had slowed down drastically by that point. It’s especially apparent when the watch arrives and it’s one I’ve bought multiple times over and I finally recall why I sold them in the first place.

I wish the hobby made sense.
I understand. It is very possible that you over this game/hobby and need a new one... :grin:

I have seen some people from from watches to knives, dogs, even fishes and tanks... :shock: :lol:

But hey, whatever gives one the "happiness" , it does not have to be expensive, it could be anything, even whittling... I knew a happy man, he did not have even a shirt... :grin:

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am

Lots of Pinocchios up in this thread.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:47 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 am
There is no exit watch. Either the sickness fades or the madness just continues. I guess there is a third option “goes on hold” for when income is lacking.
Exactly. Either you do or you don't.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin