Lockdown Food Cravings...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Ok guys,

Not wanting to tip anyone over the edge yet, it's only week 3! But have any of you got food cravings for stuff you wouldn't normally eat!
For me, all I want to do is eat Gregg's (UK) Bakery Belgian buns. I don't know what it is, they all shut and that's all I eat.
And McDonald's also sneaking in.... again, in UK all shut

Hope everyone is otherwise staying safe and healthy

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Lockdown Food Cravings...

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Sushi. There are probably places open for take out (takeaway), but I'm not wild about eating raw food that I haven't prepared myself these days.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 pm

A good Greek Gyro. The local place is shut.

On the flip side, I have been making Hawaiian pulled pork in my slow cooker. One medium size pork butt (last one we bought was about 7#) is worth a solid 4 meals for my family (rice bowls, quesadilla's, etc.).

My backyard TiKi bar is branching out.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm

stonehead887 wrote:Ok guys,

Not wanting to tip anyone over the edge yet, it's only week 3! But have any of you got food cravings for stuff you wouldn't normally eat!
For me, all I want to do is eat Gregg's (UK) Bakery Belgian buns. I don't know what it is, they all shut and that's all I eat.
And McDonald's also sneaking in.... again, in UK all shut

Hope everyone is otherwise staying safe and healthy

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Are these Old Gregg’s Buns or just regular Gregg?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 pm

On the flip side, I have been making Hawaiian pulled pork in my slow cooker. One medium size pork butt (last one we bought was about 7#) is worth a solid 4 meals for my family (rice bowls, quesadilla's, etc.).

It's a good time to pick up an egg (or equivalent). Been doing a lot of smoked meats while WFH, since it's easy to tend during the work day. Pulled pork on the egg is amazing. Rahul always championed it, and I was skeptical until I had it done right. Yum.
:htfu:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm

As long as there is beer in the fridge I can’t say that I care about food cravings.
The Hapa

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

I’m kinda used to it from the five years in Abu Dhabi. My wife once ran up a $400 over weight bag charge bringing me stuff I couldn’t find. Still, I hear you. Stuff you haven’t thought of in years becomes a craving as soon as you can’t get it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

It's a good time to pick up an egg (or equivalent). Been doing a lot of smoked meats while WFH, since it's easy to tend during the work day. Pulled pork on the egg is amazing. Rahul always championed it, and I was skeptical until I had it done right. Yum.
That sounds really good. It'll be my next menu addition.

Have you ever tried Loco Moco? I've not seen it offered around here, but it is kind of a Hawaiian comfort food breakfast.

It has about a million calories. The handful of times I've had one, I'm pretty much good for food for the rest of the day.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Pizza. Real pizza. I haven’t eaten anything prepared out of the house in a month.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm
Have you ever tried Loco Moco? I've not seen it offered around here, but it is kind of a Hawaiian comfort food breakfast.

It has about a million calories. The handful of times I've had one, I'm pretty much good for food for the rest of the day.

one of my favorite hawaiin dishes. we have a local phillipina/hawaiin joint who makes some killer food

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm
Pizza. Real pizza. I haven’t eaten anything prepared out of the house in a month.
We ordered pizza a few days ago. As a precaution, we reheated it in the oven before eating it. Even after reheating it, the crust was slightly raw. Disappointing, to say the least. :banghead:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:48 pm

sausage

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:48 pm
sausage
Are the freeway rest areas shut down? :shrug:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
sausage
yes :crybaby:

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm
Ryeguy wrote:

That sounds really good. It'll be my next menu addition.

My favorite breakfast Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:56 pm
Selym wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
sausage
yes :crybaby:
:roll:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11 pm

With us being empty nesters we've eaten every meal at home for 3 weeks except when I picked up Mexican curb side last Sunday.

Sure beats the bring home stuff 3-4 days a week under normal circumstances.

I always crave Pizza though and probably could live on it.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Been just over three weeks of cooking for myself.

I crave anything but my own cooking.

Isolation finishes tonight so might see if the local fish and chip shop is open

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:13 pm

We got a small place near me that make a mean bowl of Pho, I make it at home, but cheat on the broth, and it's never as good Image

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 pm

I've been craving lots of things recently. Almost like if I can't have it easily, I want it more. Fresh vegetables, which seem like about the riskiest thing to buy in a supermarket right now, are especially appealing. Have been trying to do takeout at least once a week, to at least pump a little money back into our local economy. Other than that, have been cooking almost every night. Did a couple of pork butts on the Egg last weekend, and froze half of it; seems like a very efficient way to make up the basis of a lot of future quarantine meals.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 pm

5661nicholas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:13 pm
We got a small place near me that make a mean bowl of Pho, I make it at home, but cheat on the broth, and it's never as good Image

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Might have to retract my prior statement. That looks great.

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:40 pm

dukerules wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 pm
I've been craving lots of things recently. Almost like if I can't have it easily, I want it more. Fresh vegetables, which seem like about the riskiest thing to buy in a supermarket right now, are especially appealing. Have been trying to do takeout at least once a week, to at least pump a little money back into our local economy. Other than that, have been cooking almost every night. Did a couple of pork butts on the Egg last weekend, and froze half of it; seems like a very efficient way to make up the basis of a lot of future quarantine meals.
I'm a little worried about takeout. Who's to say the kitchen staff aren't sick? :shrug:

Fresh fruit and veg., except for leafy stuff, can be scrubbed with soap and water.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Selym wrote: I'm a little worried about takeout. Who's to say the kitchen staff aren't sick? :shrug:

Fresh fruit and veg., except for leafy stuff, can be scrubbed with soap and water.
Me too. We have some really good restaurants in town that honestly I’m not sure are going to make it through this and I’d love to support, but I’m just more comfortable making my own food right now.
- Todd

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:47 pm
Selym wrote: I'm a little worried about takeout. Who's to say the kitchen staff aren't sick? :shrug:

Me too. We have some really good restaurants in town that honestly I’m not sure are going to make it through this and I’d love to support, but I’m just more comfortable making my own food right now.
Everyone thought I was crazy for not being willing to eat out.
Ithaca Voice wrote: The Tompkins County Health Department announced Wednesday that an employee at the Collegetown restaurant Mango Mango Dessert has COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus. They worked two shifts while infected, according to the Ithaca Voice.
Don't depend on people to do the right thing on your behalf.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Chocodove wrote:

We’ve been trying to support our local restaurants by getting takeout every couple days. I’m concerned about who’s cooking and packing my food and not getting any takeout for my 80 year old mother. We’ll probably reduce or totally eliminate takeout ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.