CoVid Positivity - The good in people!

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

CoVid Positivity - The good in people!

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:19 am

Let's use this thread as a "pick me up" in these crazy times. Post anything funny, happy, positive that you have experienced, seen or heard. :love:

I was on my way in to work at 05:30hrs, a few days ago and used the Starbuck's drive-thru to get a coffee. When I got up to the payment window, the Barrista told me that the driver ahead of me had paid for me coffee! I asked the Barrista if the driver said if they knew me, or...? He said that they just wanted to be nice. I told the Barrista to do the same and paid for the order behind me!

Keep this going, let's hear some stories and see some videos!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: CoVid Positivity - The good in people!

Post by jeckyll » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 am

Great idea Dave!

Mine is really small, but I notice when I'm out walking that more people are smiling and saying 'Hi'.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 am

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 am
Great idea Dave!

Mine is really small, but I notice when I'm out walking that more people are smiling and saying 'Hi'.
My wife was walking to dogs this morning and the neighbour stuck his head out the front door and yelled "Good morning!".
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:18 am

Winston Churchill.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:19 am

My town supermarket is open only to those over 60yo from the hours 6am - 7:30am to allow them to shop in a freshly sanitized and restocked store. Honor system, not checking ID's.

Same store is donating 2000 plastic bags (which are actually pretty hard to come by around here right now) that will be used for senior meal services and hung on doors with food for highly vulnerable people who can't get out.

Local police department hired a crossing guard to start at 6am to facilitate crossings from the large senior complex across the street from the store.

So, I think all that is nice :)
- Todd

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 am

My community FB page (which can be kind of ridiculous sometimes) is pretty good about letting people know which stores have supplies in stock (TP, sanitizer, etc.). So that's been nice.

Also, my health insurance plan requires a certain level of health maintenance each year (physical, dentist visits, etc.). They've waived it for this year.

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:36 am

Two locals teenage boys, age 17, put out a notice that they were available to run errands, pick up groceries, do yard work—for free—for elderly citizens who need help. They said as they had more free time as schools are closed, and their parents had offered to pay for gas, that they (and some of their friends if needed) were on call 24/7.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 am

It’s bringing my family together. My daughter, in particular, is making more of an effort to check on us and pick stuff up for us. Of course, she has to do it in her own way “ Hey, high risk old guy! Can I get you anything before you die?” Wife says she has my sense of humor. She’s probably right.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:03 am

Great idea for a thread. My neighbors have been great - everyone's hanging out and respecting "social distancing". Also more time to hike and enjoy the outdoors. Gotta see the positive in all of this!

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

I’m still working everyday and there is zero traffic.

So I got that going for me which is nice.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Some watches are getting cheaper! :mrgreen:
:htfu:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Positive......gas is cheap, but nowhere to go.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm

I've had my meal paid for in a drive thru before. It absolutely made my day.

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 pm

nweash wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

This, and it is amazing how much no traffic in and out of down town brightens my day coming and going! Little victories!

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:02 pm

RALAustin wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 pm
nweash wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

This, and it is amazing how much no traffic in and out of down town brightens my day coming and going! Little victories!
I hope once this passes companies consider telecommuting as a long term option in order to keep roads clear for me.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm making a GIANT pot of beans right now trying to utilize 5# of diced smoked ham from xmas I did, 2# of smoked turkey from xmas, 3# of bacon, and about 4# of homemade linguica I had in my freezer, three freezer bags of homemade chicken glace, and one of homemade demi glace. Doing it Portuguese style with 2ea #10 cans of pinto beans I had in my cupboard for two years. Had to get some vegetables from the store but I was in and out in no time flat. Produce sections across the country are still fat and happy.

When I cook without distractions it brings me serenity. Plus I'll have leftovers for days. Win win

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm

We are trying to be really mindful of how much we buy. Still plenty of selfish bastards bulk buying. Our local fruit and veg store had plenty of food so we are leaving that to those who perhaps cannot drive, or are vulnerable so they can get supplies.
I can get my ass in the car and drive.
Also, asked elderly neighbour's if they need help.
Tomorrow I will show my dad how to set up with zoom video calling on his laptop and will start to do exercise routine with him so I can help him stay healthy and mobile

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm

stonehead887 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm
We are trying to be really mindful of how much we buy. Still plenty of selfish bastards bulk buying.
For sure. Like I said in another thread on this topic, I'm going to get very creative with everything in the cupboard in order to utilize what I can and save some longterm $$$. Still don't know what to do with that two year old can of beets? Maybe marinade them in some fresh garlic and olive oil?

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:11 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm
stonehead887 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm
We are trying to be really mindful of how much we buy. Still plenty of selfish bastards bulk buying.
For sure. Like I said in another thread on this topic, I'm going to get very creative with everything in the cupboard in order to utilize what I can and save some longterm $$$. Still don't know what to do with that two year old can of beets? Maybe marinade them in some fresh garlic and olive oil?
9F5381C3-7516-417D-A4D7-BFACA0724FF8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 am

I struggle to not "do my bit" and more, and so had continued going to work and doing long days even though I'm in the "vulnerable group". But then a work colleague emphasised how worried she was about me, and said something like, "As your friend, I'm asking you, please don't come into work." I was quite touched.

Still don't like it, though.
Regards

Steve

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 pm

Have noticed more, and more neighbors being outside, and different people
just walking around. For the longest time we barely saw people, and if we
did, they gave a quick wave, or sped down the street in their car. But now
you will actually see people, and get chances to talk with them. (Even if it
is from a distance). It's nice. :thumbsup: Also am seeing, and hearing kids actually
playing outside too which is cool.

It just feels like people are getting closer to each other. (Relationship wise). :)

Am thinking about all of you guys, and really hope you, and all your families,
and friends are doing alright. It's really been crazy. Hope all of you stay safe,
and healthy.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:58 pm

I have had two neighbours come out and ask me if i needed help moving, as they've been laid off work. So nice but I said no thank you, because I don't really work well with others, in a moving environment lol.
Winston Churchill.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:31 pm

This afternoon, I watched 20-25 kids, with home-made signs dancing on the sidewalk in front of the old folks home, as the elderly patients stood at the windows watching and waving. This is the care-home where 7 of the 10 deaths in Canada have occurred.
Winston Churchill.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:37 am

I’m seeing more and more people out walking, running, etc. which is nice to see.

My neighbors are offering to grab supplies for each other when they go to the store to minimize exposure.