Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by stonehead887 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:24 am

Hey guys,

Thought I would start this as a bit of a different tack from some of the other threads which are getting a bit heated and off topic, especially with trying to get accurate reporting.

Yes, we are all worried and scared, we face an uncertain future that has hit us right in the nuts in only a few weeks. A lot to get our heads around.

So, as it looks like a lot of us will be 'confined' in some form, be it self isolation or enforced lockdown, I thought we could get some DWC magic going and share what plans we all have to cope, perhaps inspire some people but at the very least, reinforce that we are all in this together so I am hoping we can keep this a positive and helpful thread.

Some will have families, some will not but we have a common passion here and that's what will keep us going.

So, to start off, my wife and I are both remaining at home and working from home. We will be making a plan to keep busy, keep healthy and keep sane.

First off is our health and fitness. As we cannot go to gym any more. we have a home workout routine. We have drawn up a list of all the jobs around the house that never seem to get done. And while being together is important, we also need our time so I have several projects planned: finishing my watch box, refurbishing an old desk for the man cave and getting back in to guitar playing.

Be we are also making steps to be more self sufficient. I have bought loads of veg seeds so we can grow our own and ease in a small way the shopping burden.
We are repurposing old furniture that was going to be scrapped in to planters for the veg and will recycle as much back in to the house to save money and products.

I am currently researching how to distill alcohol which of course will have double benefit but mainly to make hand sanitiser for our families and elderly people in our neigbourhood.

Lastly, I have bought neoprene and waterproof fabric and will be making my own face mask.

Let's hear what you guys are up to.

Stay safe, stay healthy and look after each other.

Lastly, my humble and eternal gratitude for those on the front line, be it doctors, nurses or law enforcement.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 am

My boys (14 and 16) are home from school. Remote learning starts next week.

My wife works from home already, so she's pretty set. With older kids, it's easy for her to do her own thing.

I work for the state government and, as of now, our agency is still being asked to come in, though there is a work from home option. I haven't taken it yet, but I basically come to work, go to my office, and close the door. Not sure how long that will last.

No going out at night or on the weekends, other than to get outside for walks or runs or to buy essentials. We're planning on doing take-out at least once a week to support our local businesses.

I need to figure out if I should keep my eye doctor check-up scheduled for next week. Going to call them soon.

Keeping in regular contact with my parents - they're in their late 70's and live in town. So far, so good on that front.

I'm finding it hard to concentrate, but I doubt I'm the only one. Washing my hands a lot.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:47 am

That’s pretty badass. I don’t have much to offer, and have developed a very fatalistic attitude. I go to work, buy what I find at the store (which no longer includes toilet paper), drink a beer, and go to bed. Business as usual. Sorry, I’m like that. I’ve accepted that everyone will get sick, some will die, and that’s ok. We have enough bland food to bore my kid to no end, but no guns and with the background-check and 30-day CA wait-period no hope to buy any. Oh well, it’s time to go to work again. The daily cycle rolls on.....
The Hapa

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:59 am

We’re both able to work from home and I already had a home office. We set one up in my wife’s craft room for her this weekend too. I just ordered standup desk converters for both of us since we both use them at the real offices.

We have a freezer in the garage for extra storage and always have it stocked. We are short on veggies, but bought a big bag of mixed frozen veggies for steaming a few weeks ago - need to get more.

We have a wine cellar and lots of scotch/bourbon, so we’re good on alcohol.

We’ve committed to our normal work hours for at home too and are going out for dog walks or bike rides/runs at lunch.

We have also started a list of local restaurants that are moving to delivery/pickup and are going to try to support them more (usually only go out 1x/wk) in hopes that they make it through this.

Not that we expect it to go there, but we’ve always had a stash of ammo for the handguns around so we aren’t one of the ones on the news flooding gun stores buying their first guns and thousands of rounds of ammo.

I filled a prescription at a downtown stand alone pharmacy rather than the ones located in a big box store (Target) and will go get it this weekend to avoid crowds.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 am

I have guns and lots of ammo. I’ll come knocking on your door demanding food and tp. :grin:

Wife and I are still working although my work is running on empty. Kids daycare is still open so he’s been staying there until I’m able to get him. Wife was rumored to be forced to stay home as she’s a state employee, but that hasn’t happened yet.

I’m good on food and tp. I decided to get creative with whatever food I have in the coolers and cupboards if that time comes (even that three year can of sliced beets), but have been take out most days as it’s still available and allows me not to tap into my 3weeks worth of food just yet.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 am

B7879F1A-6E78-42AB-8C2D-AEACDC4CCC12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:56 am

I'm working form home until my job directs otherwise....although I may go in and pick up my monitors

My youngest's school has shut down the physical location and we are online learning

My wife is still BAU at her job

My oldest is still BAU at his job

We practice social distancing and have made a few last minute runs to grocery stores and Home Depot

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:10 am

Wife's working from home as she normally does (bonus is that she gets a break from travel). I'm teaching 4th grade math to my 9-year old daughter (Greatest Common Factors!). Worked out on the Total Gym with my daughter this morning, going for a bike ride later (Spring comes early in the South).

Luckily we are all set on toilet paper as hoarding it seems to be a thing in SC...

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 am

DE75E99E-2DCB-48C9-A858-DE9AF5CCE181.jpeg
Picked up half a dozen boxes of chicken Shake ‘N Bake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:38 am

Netflix and chill

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am

I work out of a very small / private office, so I am still going to work.

I did buy a pair of those Bowflex "dial-a-weight" dumbbells and an adjustable bench so I can continue my workouts. FWIW, those dumbbells do work pretty well and adjust between 5 - 55 lbs. I already have one of those chin-up / dip combo towers, so I can do a pretty effective PT without the gym.

Work bought us webcams so we can have more effective "virtual meetings".

The biggest issue at home is trying to keep the kids on track with their home learning assignments. My wife has gotten agreement with the neighborhood moms to keep the kids inside until 11:30 AM for school work. They can get a break for lunch, then school work again until 3.

The concern she is trying to nip in the bud is trying to keep one set of kids focused while they see other kids goofing off outside.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 am

Speaking of first time gun buyers, local gun store owners have been reporting how first time buyers have been shocked on how difficult it actually is here, and that it’s not as easy as buying something online, which some have made it seem. :rolleyes:

Here you have to pass your handgun safety test ($35), purchase a gun which requires a FULL ten day wait down to the second (+30 if you buy two) for CA DOJ background ($47) which requires two forms of residency ID and may require a non-fed restricted license (real ID for the stores already practicing that), and you cannot purchase ammo cash & carry for the gun you illegally acquired from uncle joe years ago because you’re not in the system for background check. Reap it lemmings! :lol:

sukUbus
Name: Tecumseh

Post by sukUbus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 am

We're doing OK, though my wife is immune compromised so we're talking the lock down very seriously. As a result, I'm doing basically all of the shopping which I'm terrible at.

My wife already home schools our daughter, so they're more set than most. However, all of her (many outside the house) activities have been cancelled which really sucks. She just got called up to the travel gymnastics team and then the gym closed for a month. She's also really missing seeing her friends - they're starting to do teleconferences so the kids can see each other.

Cornell is on semi-lockdown, but I can work from wherever so I'm doing fine from home.

The real issue is the asshole families around us that are using the school closures as an excuse to start summer early. It's really sad to keep my daughter in the house when the neighbor kids are running around all day and night. Of course they're filthy, live 10 in a house, and are constantly in and out of the ER. I'm really getting tired of irresponsible parents talking about "social distancing" while doing whatever the fuck they want.

On the other hand, I'm so thankful to have a house that's big and comfortable with lots of open space around it and a job I don't have to worry about losing. My family is pretty lucky and I hope everyone else is hanging in there.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 am

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 am
Speaking of first time gun buyers, local gun store owners have been reporting how first time buyers have been shocked on how difficult it actually is here, and that it’s not as easy as buying something online, which some have made it seem. :rolleyes:

Here you have to pass your handgun safety test ($35), purchase a gun which requires a FULL ten day wait down to the second (+30 if you buy two) for CA DOJ background ($47) which requires two forms of residency ID and may require a non-fed restricted license (real ID for the stores already practicing that), and you cannot purchase ammo cash & carry for the gun you illegally acquired from uncle joe years ago because you’re not in the system for background check. Reap it lemmings! :lol:
I thought CA was a shithole, but then I move to NY. You can't even buy "handgun ammo" without having a handgun permit. Only one of the big online bulk sellers will MAYBE ship it to me.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am
The biggest issue at home is trying to keep the kids on track with their home learning assignments. My wife has gotten agreement with the neighborhood moms to keep the kids inside until 11:30 AM for school work. They can get a break for lunch, then school work again until 3.

The concern she is trying to nip in the bud is trying to keep one set of kids focused while they see other kids goofing off outside.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. It's nice to know I'm not crazy.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 am

Wife is a pilot and is gone for training, so I’m WFH (thank goodness I can), and with all AR schools closed, I’m also teaching my 5-year old daughter all of her Kindergarten lessons as well. Could be worse, but beyond the quality time I’m getting with both myself and my kid, this situation sucks.

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 am

sukUbus wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 am

No wrist shot?
The Hapa

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 am

Wish I had bought one years ago so at least I'd be in the system already. It's not really worth the hassle now.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 am

We usually eat very fresh so we go to the supermarket once or twice a week. Last Saturday, as we knew about the mandatory curfew and closing of schools, we did a “not so fresh” supermarket run to last us about three weeks, maybe four. In any case supermarkets are open and some are making deliveries, I have scheduled an ice cream and wine delivery for Friday :)

So, wife and I both working from home for now, and “home schooling” the kids, which has been tough as it is difficult for them to understand it has to be the same as going to school. We have a small home office for one, so talking turns on who uses it and who works on the dining room were the kids are doing their school work.

Keeping a work and school schedule is super important. Extra monitors and webcams are a must. Also don’t work on your pajamas. Put on some clothes and shave, so you get into the “work mood” (and don’t look like a hobo in videoconference calls).

Government said two weeks of mandatory curfew and closed schools and non essentials businesses. Pretty sure that will be extended.

Last edited by Joeprez on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am

we're reasonably stocked. generally are, but i hit some more staples on Friday and the weekend. ordered extra dog food online and it all showed up today.

working from home, but i've always been able to do that, so it's not a big deal to get set up for me. still a lot of work that i need to do.

don't have kids, so things are simpler for me.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am

My wife and I are both working from home. She works for a nonprofit cancer support organization so needless to say all their group meetings/sessions have been canceled, and support staff are working remote. Cannot risk having members with cancer in the building. The only down side is their yearly raises have been put on hold, and that's if they even happen now.

Me I'm in sales with a base salary + commission, but when people aren't in offices working it impacts what I've sold to made a living on for 35 years, so commissions will take a hit. Also, since we are a smaller business the owner sent out a memo today that in order to keep everyone employed they are cutting back hours from 40 to 36, What that means is we all, even management it says, are sharing a loss of 4 hours of pay each week rather than someone being let go, so my base will be less until further notice. Definitely better than the alternative, but even though I'm the only person that does what I do, you never know in these times. Since we won't be going anywhere, she won't be shopping, and we won't eating out like we do, it's possible we won't notice the income loss. Time will tell.

I last looked at my 401K maybe a month ago and absolutely loved what I saw. However there is no way I'm looking now. My retirement, I hope, is 8-10 years from now so I'm sure it will recover like it always has.

Life goes on...... :shrug:
Last edited by 59yukon01 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:05 am

I just figured out how to look at my 401K the other day. It was up a ton last year and down 30% as of last week. I'm not looking again.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 am

Boss just called me and told me to go home and stay home. I’m out indefinitely.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 am

I work for a very large IT company in support of a very large insurance company (our customer) in NH. The customer closed all buildings nationwide to non-essential personnel. I have been deemed essential. No one I work with is taking any of the distancing seriously. A guy on staff who normally works downtown Boston is now in every day and he's a great fan of terrifically crazy conspiracy theories. My boss pretty much said he can't be bothered to look out for the safety of his employees. I basically was told to figure it out on my own, so I packed up all of my tools and moved to conference room. At least I get a window and a prime parking spot for a change

My gf has a job that has her all over southern Maine meeting with people (which is now not feasible). She has found out in the last few days that she was in 2 different locations that had staff test positive. Unfortunately, because everyone is scared to release *any* detail about who was infected (fucking lawyers), it's impossible to know if she was in contact with them. Guess we will find out in a week or so.

My kids are now doing remote learning. My son's elementary school did a bus run yesterday with all the worksheets and books they were supposed to do this week. My daughter (jr high) has her laptop. My ex-wife runs point on all of this, obviously...

If at some point I am told to go home, I have a couple books I've been meaning to read and I expect to log a lot of miles on my fatbike. Between Netflix, Hulu and Prime we should be set for tv, especially given I didn't watch any tv for about 10 yrs (2008-18), so I can catch up on stuff like The Office lol

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk