Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:23 am

Ryeguy wrote:Found out my boat can tow an inflatable tube.
D0386456-F460-4584-A884-A31511D2E7BB.jpeg
Pulled my son and his friend around the bay all afternoon.
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:25 am

poppydog wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Hope you can too Joe. I've been working from home two or three days a week for ten years, the other days are spent in the field so to speak. My wife works from home also. It's really something you get used to. I can't imagine having to go into an office every day.
Although I'm retired doing part-time temporary work, I'm looking forward to being able to go into the office. In some ways, working from home has been great: I can concentrate on admin' / paperwork with getting disturbed and have remote access to our server for all the information I need, but I do miss seeing my work colleagues.
Definitely, I wouldnt want to work from 100% of the time (I prefer face to face meetings), but staying two days a week would be great for me.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:45 am

poppydog wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 pm
Steve O. wrote:
Hope you can too Joe. I've been working from home two or three days a week for ten years, the other days are spent in the field so to speak. My wife works from home also. It's really something you get used to. I can't imagine having to go into an office every day.
Although I'm retired doing part-time temporary work, I'm looking forward to being able to go into the office. In some ways, working from home has been great: I can concentrate on admin' / paperwork with getting disturbed and have remote access to our server for all the information I need, but I do miss seeing my work colleagues.
Well, I don't much care for most people so works for me. Plus I deal with clients while working away from home those couple of days, so I get enough interaction.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:42 am

Got a new project for Father's Day; about 25 years ago, I got an Adirondack chair.

Time to give it a face-lift.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:45 am
poppydog wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
Well, I don't much care for most people so works for me. Plus I deal with clients while working away from home those couple of days, so I get enough interaction.
Haha, that's what my wife and kids say about me. The middle card here is from my daughter :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:25 am
poppydog wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
Definitely, I wouldnt want to work from 100% of the time (I prefer face to face meetings), but staying two days a week would be great for me.

Absolutely; my direct boss, the Head Teacher / Principal offered my a few days working from home before all this happened to catch up with paperwork, but I always felt being at home would put pressure on others. Looking back, though, it would have been better to have taken the offer.
Regards

Steve

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:25 pm

poppydog wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 pm
Steve O. wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:45 am
poppydog wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
Haha, that's what my wife and kids say about me. The middle card here is from my daughter :lol:
Yep, my wife too. I've been self isolating for years. Great card!

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 pm

so... two new guitars (just finished godzilla tonight), off to get finished and have electronics added.
IMG_0498.jpg
APC_0492-hdr.JPG
also fixed the silks (the foam lining) in my mic, since some of it looked to be dry rotting away. so i said WTF, let's switch from the dull grey silks to some nice bright red silks.
APC_0498-hdr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 am

gwells wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 pm
so... two new guitars (just finished godzilla tonight), off to get finished and have electronics added.

IMG_0498.jpgAPC_0492-hdr.JPG

also fixed the silks (the foam lining) in my mic, since some of it looked to be dry rotting away. so i said WTF, let's switch from the dull grey silks to some nice bright red silks.

APC_0498-hdr.JPG
You've got skills.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 am

gwells wrote:so... two new guitars (just finished godzilla tonight), off to get finished and have electronics added.
IMG_0498.jpg
APC_0492-hdr.JPG
APC_0498-hdr.JPG
Love Don Julio 1942 - a m a z i n g!!! The guitars and mic look great.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:57 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 am
gwells wrote:so... two new guitars (just finished godzilla tonight), off to get finished and have electronics added.

IMG_0498.jpgAPC_0492-hdr.JPG

APC_0498-hdr.JPG
Love Don Julio 1942 - a m a z i n g!!! The guitars and mic look great.
Yes, amazing indeed!! I think I still have a bottle of Don Julio somewhere.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Well, since it doesn't look like my spin classes will be starting up again anytime soon (and I'm not sure I'd go even if they did), I ordered a peloton today. Won't be delivered until August, but I'm pretty psyched.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:45 pm

JBZ wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 pm
Well, since it doesn't look like my spin classes will be starting up again anytime soon (and I'm not sure I'd go even if they did), I ordered a peloton today. Won't be delivered until August, but I'm pretty psyched.
Interesting. My old Nordic Track elliptical machine will implode soon (is about 12 years old and it has been used a lot since March). Wife suggested getting a trainer that would fit our mountain bikes as it would save a lot of space, but I also suggested a good spinning bike. Ever tried one of those Jeff?

Anyone else with recommendations on bike trainers that would fit a 29 and a 27.5 mtb tire?

I would prefer a new elliptical, but again, wife is not happy of having an elliptical plus 4 bikes just besides the sofa :lol:

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:45 pm
JBZ wrote:
Interesting. My old Nordic Track elliptical machine will implode soon (is about 12 years old and it has been used a lot since March). Wife suggested getting a trainer that would fit our mountain bikes as it would save a lot of space, but I also suggested a good spinning bike. Ever tried one of those Jeff?

Anyone else with recommendations on bike trainers that would fit a 29 and a 27.5 mtb tire?

I would prefer a new elliptical, but again, wife is not happy of having an elliptical plus 4 bikes just besides the sofa :lol:
I have a magnetic resistance trainer I use with an older cross/hybrid bike. It works well, and is pretty good space-wise. The downside is that after hundreds of hours of use, the bearings in my headset have become "notched" into the same position. I can still ride it on the road, but it is a little awkward. Just food for thought if you plan to use it regularly with a high dollar bike.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks, gents. It’s been a fun little sideline.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:28 am

Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:

I've used three different spinning bikes through my classes. The first was the older version where you estimated tension - no computer. The second was more advanced, where a computer told you how much work you were doing (watts) and how many calories you were burning. It was good in theory, but continued use by multiple people at the gym made the computers get all wonky. If you were the only one using it, it would probably be fine.

The first two were trademarked "spinning" bikes put out by that company. The third is put out by the matrix company.. Same idea - computer that shows watts and calories - tension is put on with a lever that moves up and down instead of with a turning knob. They seem to be pretty good, but they were recently acquired by my gym and then everything shut down, so I don't know how they'll do over a long period of time.

Brand new, these bikes are at least as expensive as a peloton bike. I've never used an indoor bike trainer, but you can get many for a lot less money.

In researching the peloton, there are other, less expensive bikes you can get that have the computer capabilities that allow you to use the peloton app. But the research I did indicated that it was worth it to spend more to get the peloton bike - the experience is supposedly better.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 am

Thanks for the info Jeff! Will try to check one locally, there is a hotel here that have a couple, will try to sneak in to check them out.

I also saw for the first time the Bowflex Max Trainer yesterday and based on what I read, both me and my wife like it. Plus smaller footprint than my current elliptical. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/compare/

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:50 am

gonzomantis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 pm
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:

I have a magnetic resistance trainer I use with an older cross/hybrid bike. It works well, and is pretty good space-wise. The downside is that after hundreds of hours of use, the bearings in my headset have become "notched" into the same position. I can still ride it on the road, but it is a little awkward. Just food for thought if you plan to use it regularly with a high dollar bike.
Thanks! I saw a couple for sale used in the local craigslist... might pick up one to check it out.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:48 am

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 am
Thanks for the info Jeff! Will try to check one locally, there is a hotel here that have a couple, will try to sneak in to check them out.

I also saw for the first time the Bowflex Max Trainer yesterday and based on what I read, both me and my wife like it. Plus smaller footprint than my current elliptical. Anyone have any experience with these?

If you really want a smaller footprint, you can take advantage of the training system I use. I simply combine these:

with this:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:48 am
Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 am

If you really want a smaller footprint, you can take advantage of the training system I use. I simply combine these:

with this:

That is my plan at the end.

I'll try to be as brief as possible: I am 5'9" and last September I was at my heaviest ever: 210 lbs. Fed up with is, I started a diet with my wife (and the help of a Nutritionist) and by March my wife had lost around 30 lbs and I had lost around 45 lbs. She has managed to keep the same weight during the pandemic, I've only gained 5 lbs back. Besides the low calorie / low fat diet, I've used the elliptical, have ridden my mtb and have made TONS of push ups and squats at home. In regards to running, my left knee always hurt after running when I was between 190-210 lbs. I know I need new shoes (I also have Mizunos which were recommended as I need support due to over pronation), but last Tuesday I went for a jog (longer that I should have) and, even being 40 lbs lighter (currently at 168 lbs), still managed to hurt my knee.

So, I need new shoes and probably a trainer to see if I'm running correctly. I turned 40 last march, currently weighing the same I did in College, so pretty happy right now (still have belly fat, working on getting rid of it... more difficult than I thought) but would like to be able to run. However, if I'm going to be having pain on the knees everytime, I'll stick to lower impact cardio exercises like expensive machines and bikes.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 am

^^^ Yeah, I was just being a bit of a wise ass - sorry.

I run - a lot - but I understand it isn't for everyone. The trick is to build slowly and listen to your body. I run every other day as I need the recovery time. On my "off" days I try to do something different like paddle boarding or surfing or biking, etc.

Weight training is essential too. The more muscle you can build, the more calories you'll burn on a normal daily basis. I highly recommend adding pull-ups to your routine as I believe they are the mother of all upper body exercises.

Ultimately, and has you've found with your nutritionist, you can't outrun a bad diet.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 am

I run - a lot - but I understand it isn't for everyone. The trick is to build slowly and listen to your body. I run every other day as I need the recovery time. On my "off" days I try to do something different like paddle boarding or surfing or biking, etc.

Weight training is essential too. The more muscle you can build, the more calories you'll burn on a normal daily basis. I highly recommend adding pull-ups to your routine as I believe they are the mother of all upper body exercises.

Ultimately, and has you've found with your nutritionist, you can't outrun a bad diet.
Agree on all of this, but my body and brain never took to running - I really tried for about 2 years. I wish it did - you can run just about anywhere, and the running community as a whole is a good group.

But definitely good to combine cardio with some weights (I've had to adapt to lighter weights and more reps as I've gotten older). And diet is important. Exercise is great and has a ton of benefits, but you'll never burn as many calories as you can eat.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 am

LOL, no worries, did not take your comment like that.

Ultimately I just want to feel good and look good. I really like doing stuff with my son like riding bikes, longboards, surfing, scuba, etc. So I need be healthy and in good shape. Plus, is kind of nice still looking good at 40, when most of the men I see around are overweight (as I was). I love weight training and that is something I never stopped doing, but not as committed as I've been since I started losing weight. Regarding pull ups, I ordered a bar last week from Amazon, still waiting for it :thumbsup:
On my "off" days I try to do something different like paddle boarding or surfing or biking, etc.
I'm training to be able to do that for years to come :headbang:

I know this is not an "exercise and diet" dedicated thread, but would love to hear routines, tips and tricks if anyone have them.
Ultimately, and has you've found with your nutritionist, you can't outrun a bad diet..
Quite a revelations, as it was the amount of food we were eating (you need a lot less than you think, unless you are trying to build mass). And restaurant portions are just gross.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

JBZ wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

Agree on all of this, but my body and brain never took to running - I really tried for about 2 years. I wish it did - you can run just about anywhere, and the running community as a whole is a good group.

But definitely good to combine cardio with some weights (I've had to adapt to lighter weights and more reps as I've gotten older). And diet is important. Exercise is great and has a ton of benefits, but you'll never burn as many calories as you can eat.
I'm not sure I'll like running, but I would like to try being able to run a 5k a couple times a week. Is that too much? (I did run a 5k last week and that fucked up my knee lol). If it doesn't stick (either because I don't like it or because my body wont let me), I will keep biking and doing low impact cardio on a machine.

I remember Drew told me diet was like 70% to 80%, the rest was exercise.

I miss that guy, should hit him up on IG.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm
JBZ wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

I'm not sure I'll like running, but I would like to try being able to run a 5k a couple times a week. Is that too much? (I did run a 5k last week and that fucked up my knee lol). If it doesn't stick (either because I don't like it or because my body wont let me), I will keep biking and doing low impact cardio on a machine.

I remember Drew told me diet was like 70% to 80%, the rest was exercise.

I miss that guy, should hit him up on IG.
Chris is probably a better source, but my experience was that doing a 5K even 3 times a week (once I built myself up to it) was fine. It was when I tried to go much beyond that (training for a 10k) that my body told me to go fuck myself. And I just found running to be painfully boring. But everyone's different - my wife loves running - it's her main form of exercise and she's been doing it for years.