Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 pm

7F6373BB-3F7E-4AA5-A0DB-47AA98909121.jpeg
Put a new radio and antenna (low bridge + high tide = no bueno) in the boat.

I have the radio connected to the chart plotter (NMEA 2000) and programmed with my MMSI number so in case of an emergency, there is a single button to push and the radio automatically transmits a distress signal with my exact location and boat description.

Cool stuff and a huge upgrade from my old radio which was marginally evolved from two cans and a string.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 pm

dinexus wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm
Shameless self-promotion, but I wrote a story about my time in lockdown and how I only wore one watch the whole time. Shame it wasn't a diver... Maybe for the next quarantine? ;)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/one-watch- ... geophysic/

damn killer job bro! :salute:

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:35 pm

dinexus wrote:
Shameless self-promotion, but I wrote a story about my time in lockdown and how I only wore one watch the whole time. Shame it wasn't a diver... Maybe for the next quarantine? ;)

Really enjoyed this Zach, you have a great writing style, thanks for sharing :cheers:
Regards

Steve

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
7F6373BB-3F7E-4AA5-A0DB-47AA98909121.jpeg

I have the radio connected to the chart plotter (NMEA 2000) and programmed with my MMSI number so in case of an emergency, there is a single button to push and the radio automatically transmits a distress signal with my exact location and boat description.

Cool stuff and a huge upgrade from my old radio which was marginally evolved from two cans and a string.
I can teach you how to calculate your air draft and air gapImage little tricks of the trade so we don’t hit bridgesImage. Last guy around here that hit a bridge his wife killed him...seriously she killed him chopped him up and burned him in a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 am

Captdave wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Ryeguy wrote:7F6373BB-3F7E-4AA5-A0DB-47AA98909121.jpeg

I can teach you how to calculate your air draft and air gapImage little tricks of the trade so we don’t hit bridgesImage. Last guy around here that hit a bridge his wife killed him...seriously she killed him chopped him up and burned him in a barrel.

Wow! My wife just teased the crap outta me.

Unfortunately, my antenna incident was just the result of me being lazy. It was drizzling out and I didn't feel like leaving the warm comfort of the helm to walk outside and lower the antenna. The bridge didn't have the usual height markers on its pilings so I just eyeballed it. I knew it was going to be close, and misjudged by about 10 inches. $500 lesson learned.

The full story is I was taking my Dad out fishing to chase the schoolie striper that are now running down from the creeks and into the open ocean. He had heard there was good fishing up in this creek I had not gone to before (Spruce Creek in Kittery ME for those who are local. The info was correct).

When we got there (and after I had given my antenna the unplanned bris) I noticed we were the only boat with an enclosed cabin in the area. Now I knew why.

I ended up staying in the Creek for 4 hours while my Dad caught fish and I waited for the tide to drain enough for me to be confident we could get out under that bridge again.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 am

poppydog wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:35 pm
Really enjoyed this Zach, you have a great writing style, thanks for sharing :cheers:
toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 pm
damn killer job bro! :salute:
Thanks fellas! :cheers:

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Captdave wrote:

Unfortunately, my antenna incident was just the result of me being lazy. It was drizzling out and I didn't feel like leaving the warm comfort of the helm to walk outside and lower the antenna. The bridge didn't have the usual height markers on its pilings so I just eyeballed it. I knew it was going to be close, and misjudged by about 10 inches. $500 lesson learned.

The full story is I was taking my Dad out fishing to chase the schoolie striper that are now running down from the creeks and into the open ocean. He had heard there was good fishing up in this creek I had not gone to before (Spruce Creek in Kittery ME for those who are local. The info was correct).

When we got there (and after I had given my antenna the unplanned bris) I noticed we were the only boat with an enclosed cabin in the area. Now I knew why.

I ended up staying in the Creek for 4 hours while my Dad caught fish and I waited for the tide to drain enough for me to be confident we could get out under that bridge again.
Great story. Glad your dad got to catch a bunch of fish. Well worth the $500. “No regrets” by Ann Rule is the true story I was referencing. Good read. I’m sure your wife will like it.

Do you have a plotter/ECDIS? AIS? If you have AIS and an iPad Seaiq pilot is a great program which would allow you to know all of your water and air draft and UKC and air gap data. It isn’t cheap but it is a great pro tool. Even without AIS it’d be a great electronic chart program.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Captdave wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Captdave wrote:

Great story. Glad your dad got to catch a bunch of fish. Well worth the $500. “No regrets” by Ann Rule is the true story I was referencing. Good read. I’m sure your wife will like it.

Do you have a plotter/ECDIS? AIS? If you have AIS and an iPad Seaiq pilot is a great program which would allow you to know all of your water and air draft and UKC and air gap data. It isn’t cheap but it is a great pro tool. Even without AIS it’d be a great electronic chart program.

I don’t have an AIS transponder, but I do have an MMSI number and could connect a transponder up to my chart plotter. It probably would be a good investment.

To be honest, it isn’t the pro’s I worry about too much in my area. Those guys know how to drive a boat and I’m more likely to be in their way than them being in mine.

I’m more worried about the weekend warriors out here doing dumb stuff. Most of these guys aren’t running with even basic safety or comms equipment let alone AIS.

Last weekend I got to listen to a boat sink over the radio (everyone survived, boat lost). Last year my buddy (ER doc) was on duty to receive a family who ran into a nun. Two didn’t make it.

I’ll check out SeaIQ pilot. I have a Navionics app on my iPad now. It’s funny how iPads are making dedicated chart plotters almost obsolete. I’ll have more room on my dashboard for coffee.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 pm

dinexus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:59 am
unsub073 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am
dinexus wrote:

Very interesting read, and what strap is that?
Thanks! Strap is just a basic AF camo nato from C&B.
I enjoyed that Zach! I have the same brass beast of a pen too... :fro:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm

dinexus wrote:Shameless self-promotion, but I wrote a story about my time in lockdown and how I only wore one watch the whole time. Shame it wasn't a diver... Maybe for the next quarantine? ;)

Well written!
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 pm

JDC222 wrote:
dinexus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:59 am

I enjoyed that Zach! I have the same brass beast of a pen too... :fro:
Works better as a prop than a writing instrument, but I sure enjoy how it feels in the hand.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am

7F0AE9F6-262E-406B-8CF5-A8DF2FC4B979.jpeg
Found it while helping clean my son’s bedroom (the cube, not the Seiko - that is Zack’s world, not mine!)

Took me a few hours with the help of a tutorial, but I got it solved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:53 pm

A picture is worth a thousand shovels.

Last edited by mattcantwin on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am

Found it while helping clean my son’s bedroom (the cube, not the Seiko - that is Zack’s world, not mine!)

Yeah, it takes awhile to remove all the stickers and put them back on again so they match.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:24 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:53 pm
A picture is worth a thousand shovels.

Did you have to take it to the next level? :lol:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am

Rubik's Cube. Now that brings back memories. Back in high school I used to be able to solve it by memory, using a specific formula. Those days are long gone!
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 pm

mattcantwin wrote:A picture is worth a thousand shovels.

Load of dirt delivered I see. More planting beds or for a garden?

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 pm
Load of dirt delivered I see. More planting beds or for a garden?
A good amount of it is going to the chicken run.

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:20 am

Next on a very long list:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:50 pm

My life has been pretty close to BAU all this time except working from home since mid April rather than the office uptown. No haircut so that’s been interesting but I just work long days, eat dinner with the family. Now places have been open so we can go out to eat or have a beer at the breweries and before I ordered more food to go from restaurants and picked up my beer to go for the breweries.
But by and large no much change
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Because my wife and I have been working from home since late March, now that businesses have started to open, I'm doing stuff I normally can't do, like enrolling the kids in summer classes that I normally would not be able to (because I work far from home). Really hope I will be able to keep working from home one or two days a week when we are back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by Joeprez on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Hope you can too Joe. I've been working from home two or three days a week for ten years, the other days are spent in the field so to speak. My wife works from home also. It's really something you get used to. I can't imagine having to go into an office every day.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Found out my boat can tow an inflatable tube.
D0386456-F460-4584-A884-A31511D2E7BB.jpeg
Pulled my son and his friend around the bay all afternoon.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:20 am
Next on a very long list:

Nice work, Matt. Turned out great :thumbsup:

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Hope you can too Joe. I've been working from home two or three days a week for ten years, the other days are spent in the field so to speak. My wife works from home also. It's really something you get used to. I can't imagine having to go into an office every day.
Although I'm retired doing part-time temporary work, I'm looking forward to being able to go into the office. In some ways, working from home has been great: I can concentrate on admin' / paperwork with getting disturbed and have remote access to our server for all the information I need, but I do miss seeing my work colleagues.
Regards

Steve