Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
unsub073
Name: chris

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by unsub073 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:19 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am
*sigh*

there is a lot of "mickey mouse" here in the renovations they did before we bought. much of which you don't find out until you really start to pull things apart.
We are afraid of what we will find when we start looking at doing that on our inside. Ours was built in 1973, and has gone through at least 3 renovations prior to us buying it, and we are always amazed at the previous owner's "handy" work.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:39 am

maybe more "all thumbs" than 5 fingers handy.

i love the underlying construction of our house. built in 1951, all brick exterior, plaster walls (in that transition time, plaster on blue board not lathe), interior walls are 2x6 construction (which meant an extra deep medicine cabinet in the bathroom). and while no basement, a very accessible crawlspace.

but everything done to the house by owners was half-assed.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:03 pm

01C76A94-34D3-4840-9118-E49F203D4432.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

sierra11b wrote:Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

Then Friday night helped my buddy make a giant batch of Seafood Paella as a pre-sold togo special for 40 people at his steak house (him pictured)

The Paella looks terrific! Last time I had it was a year ago when I married a couple in Mallorca. The Stromboli loos great too! My wife makes a great one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Seeing as we've been staying safe at home; my wife felt we should pick up a couple of Adirondack chairs at Costco.

I put one together today - for her.

Not sure if I'm ready to give mine up.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu May 07, 2020 2:18 pm

^^^ Cool!

I just invested in one of these (stock photo - not my backyard. Mine will have more empty beer cans around it :fro: ):

My idea of the perfect social distancing tool.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Selym wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm
That sounds delicious, albeit a little too salty, or was it?
Not at all. It actually all melds together quite well. In fact, I even sprinkled a little kosher salt over all the ingredients before rolling, and just a little over the top of the dough. Skip if you think it'll be too salty and you should still be just fine on seasoning.

A great chef taught me once that you can always add but never take away. If you need a little extra seasoning you can always sprinkle over the top of the finished product.

jlswatch
Name: John Schneider

Post by jlswatch » Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Today baked a no knead bread we made yesterday. Fantastic bread and minimum effort. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm

That bread looks good. :cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm

My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I would love to be your neighbor

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
I think those are murder hornets and they are eating one of your chickens!
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm
My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
WTF is swarm? That looks crazy.
:htfu:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Burn it to the ground?

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 am

sierra11b wrote:Made a delicious "kitchen sink" stromboli (oscar meyer bologna, gallo sliced salami, bulk italian sausage, some of my kid's lunch string cheese, kraft parm, couple slices of baby swiss, dash of dried italian herbs) with muffaletta as the sauce (giardiniera and tapenade mixed together). Was actually better the next day as you could cut perfect cold slices, and then pan fry each side in olive oil for crispiness (not pictured).

That Paella looks incredible. My far the most involved dish I ever did on my BGE was a seafood paella.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 08, 2020 12:07 pm

I made a temporary box to put the swarm in. Today their new owner picked them up 👍🏻

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

In case anyone's interested about honey bee swarming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarming_(honey_bee)

Generally a good thing - it means more bees, which means more pollination and more honey.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm
I would love to be your neighbor
They love it here. :mrgreen:
BacoNoir wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm
toxicavenger wrote:My wife called me while I was out grocery shopping to inform one of our hives had swarm. Something new for me to figure out today.
I think those are murder hornets and they are eating one of your chickens!
The hornets are gonna get eaten by our magpies. :thumbsup:
matt.wu wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am
toxicavenger wrote:
WTF is swarm? That looks crazy.
It just means the hive has born another queen. So the old queen takes some of the bees with her to create another one. Really cool actually. The worker bees gorge them-self with honey and then roll out with the queen. During this time the bees are really docile. It just looks intimidating. This only occurs every 2 years in the Spring when a new queen is hatched. That way the hive stays productive.
unsub073 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Burn it to the ground?
Definitely not. This is a part of the growth process with bees. This is not an aggressive act. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 pm

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Generally a good thing - it means more bees, which means more pollination and more honey.
yep

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 pm
JBZ wrote:

yep
Are they docile enough that you can basically just put them in the box like that?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 08, 2020 1:50 pm

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:

yep
Are they docile enough that you can basically just put them in the box like that?
Yes. I brushed them into a bucket and then dumped them into this box. Honey bees do not go out of their way to sting people. But they are super curious, so it is not uncommon for them to land on you or buzz around your head to check you out. The only time I get stung is when I am working directly in the hive and they are trying to protect their queen.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:50 pm
JBZ wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:

yep
Yes. I brushed them into a bucket and then dumped them into this box. Honey bees do not go out of their way to sting people. But they are super curious, so it is not uncommon for them to land on you or buzz around your head to check you out. The only time I get stung is when I am working directly in the hive and they are trying to protect their queen.
Makes sense since sting = death for a honey bee. Defense of last resort. Unlike wasps - those fuckers.